Got my Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U "Gaming" 1080p display today!

"GALANT" by Ikea but they have different types and styles. This one is the safety glass 5' 3" version; thing weighs a ton but is strong as hell. Saw the Jerker at my local Ikea when I bought this and it was on sale for $70 I believe. My girlfriend pointed it out and said good price, but I saw this first and it just looks amazing in person.

PS Thanks Zorn for the Dell recommendation, I've not been thinking about the whole display ordeal much today as I've been concentrating on my system OC ([email protected] currently). I just need to weigh the cost & resolution of the Dell/HP vs. the Westinghouse, likely going to blow the big bucks on the Dell though. :)

You won't be disappointed. Like with most things, you spend the extra money to get the best and you won't regret it.

Whoa, I didn't mean to get "TEH HATE" going. :( Sorry about that.

I didn't expect a perfect LCD, yes I read this and many other threads on the GP1U and D62U models and knew there were some "minor" issues with them, but overall I was willing to try. I saw the 32D62U in CC for $1299 and went for it. I was excited, borderline giddy after getting the unit home, setting it up (finding out it wouldn't fit on my desk was a bummer, after chopping the hutch up) and loading up LOTR:O. Seeing Bree at 32" 1980x1020 was amazing.

I spent the entire next day (this past Sunday) and many hours over the following week trying to get the monitor calibrated by eye. Believe me, I wanted it to work, I tried my best to get the display to my liking. I had already formulated a grand scheme for building a new workstation/entertainment center in the living room centered around this unit, my new PC, and my hardly used Onkyo & JBL gear.

Maybe my unit was defective, I don't know. It had 0 dead pixels, no banding, no ghosting, and virtually no backlight bleed, but I could not get Yellow dialed in right. The other colors were over-saturated badly every time I tried to get Yellow to show correctly. The auto-adjusting contrast was happening constantly, no matter what mode I used. To give you guys an example, just making a change to say sharpness and scrolling within the menu up to say brightness, the contrast would noticeably change. I'm not sure the unit was supposed to do that.

I was willing to try updating the firmware on this unit to make it work (AVS Forum D62U Tweaking post), but after spending all this time on the unit and discussing the issues with my father, his words rang true "If you aren't happy with the TV, take it back, you won't ever be happy with it otherwise". So, I did.

I've re-evaluated my "need" for a new display, and decided that I would be best to use a straight monitor (no TV tuner). I don't watch TV, I don't have nor will ever have cable, no Wii, no PS2, nor XBOX. All I do is PC Game (FPS, RPG & MMO) and watch DVDs. I'm going to be looking more closely at the Dell/HP 30" or Westinghouse 37" displays as they are more suited for what I intend to do with the display.

Thanks MrMike for the suggestions, albeit they were a bit late (I had left to return the D62U shortly before your post) and good luck to you guys with your Sharp units. I hope Sharp comes around and gets the issues resolved in the future.

--MF

Are you calibrating by eye or using a colorimeter / photospectrometer? I thought other people had dialed in the 32GP1U fairly well before.
Be careful with the large PC displays, they don't scale non-native resolutions except for 1 odd resolution 1280x800 or something probably because it is exactly 1/4 the native res. Makes them very limited for some gaming uses.

Did your get your LCD from Newegg? The one I got from newegg has 10-15 stuck pixels and I called Sharp to get an exchange. Your first step is to email pictures to

#1 [email protected] - Reference your case # in the header.
(Make sure you place a still image on the screen meaning take an overall picture of the LCD, then take pictures of each stuck pixel with the same frozen picture on the screen) They want you to do this make sure you aren't taking pictures of the same dead pixels before they authorize a return.

#2 Call them back the next day and reference your case #. Your case will be verified through a call center manager who will take a look at your pictures and decide if your case is valid. At this point, you may go on hold for 5-10 minutes. If your case has been authorized for return. They will need a Credit Card # as collateral. You will be told the shipping company will contact you 48 hrs prior to delivery (private shipping company, not UPS or FEDEX)

#3 A Return Sticker will be mailed to your address to place on your old TV packaging. Pack your TV up before the shipping company gets there. Remember 48 advance notice.

#4 The Delivery Company will do a one-for-one swap of your TV with another on the truck.

#5 Done.

Well, seems my situation is a little different. Apparently my pictures I sent them "didn't come in yet", so they told me to call Royal Electronics (pretty close to my house), and set up an appointment to come to my house and look at my TV.

I asked what exactly was going to be done, and she said they'll send a service guy out to my house to see if he can fix it there instead of taking it back to the shop. They know I have stuck pixels, so I'm curious to know if they have a way to "fix" stuck pixels.

Well, seems my situation is a little different. Apparently my pictures I sent them "didn't come in yet", so they told me to call Royal Electronics (pretty close to my house), and set up an appointment to come to my house and look at my TV.

I asked what exactly was going to be done, and she said they'll send a service guy out to my house to see if he can fix it there instead of taking it back to the shop. They know I have stuck pixels, so I'm curious to know if they have a way to "fix" stuck pixels.

Did you send them the pictures by email or regular mail? I sent the pictures by email and they got them the same day. You might try emailing the pictures via a different email provider such as gmail.

I'm sure the service guy might run a dvd or something to try to unstick the pixels, but the people I talked to over the phone said that they were manufacturing defects in the glass and that the stuck pixels could not be fixed if taken to a service center even if I went to one.

Hopefully they'll authorize an exchange for you. I got my exchange. It only had a few stuck pixels and I just said screw it about returning it again because it says in the manual "A few stuck pixels are normal for a screen this size" which they would probably say if I called up again.

Anywho, keep us updated on your situation man.

My camera really sucks... but oh well. I got the 37 inch version.

n513911142_81015_7422.jpg

n513911142_81017_7905.jpg

n513911142_81018_8137.jpg

n513911142_81016_7655.jpg

You know... working a retail job for the last 6 months was totally worth it just for this tv which I got for 900 thanks to employee accommodations.

Only 4 dead pixels that aren't even noticeable too.

Oh, and the dynamic adjustment can be turned off by toggling OPC in the Picture options...

My videocard seems to have issues with it too (won't go higher than 1280x720 without bugging out) but this is probably the best purchase that I have ever made!

Did you send them the pictures by email or regular mail? I sent the pictures by email and they got them the same day. You might try emailing the pictures via a different email provider such as gmail.

I'm sure the service guy might run a dvd or something to try to unstick the pixels, but the people I talked to over the phone said that they were manufacturing defects in the glass and that the stuck pixels could not be fixed if taken to a service center even if I went to one.

Hopefully they'll authorize an exchange for you. I got my exchange. It only had a few stuck pixels and I just said screw it about returning it again because it says in the manual "A few stuck pixels are normal for a screen this size" which they would probably say if I called up again.

Anywho, keep us updated on your situation man.

Yeah, I sent them using gmail. I guess they somehow deleted it or something. The guy put me on hold for a good 10 mins or so looking for them lol. But yeah, If I had maybe 3 or 4 stuck pixels, I wouldn't care, but I have 10 and about 5 of them are more noticible than the others.

I'll definitely keep this thread informed on what happens. I've tried running jscreenfix for a long time, and nothing happened. Hopefully they have something that'll definitely fix this.

And Lingxor, you probably mean stuck pixels. Trust me, there's a huge difference :p lol

Update on my situation:

The guy looked at it and said it's the panel itself, so I guess he's going to replace the panel on it.

I hated how he felt the need to tap the screen though, ugh lol.

guys, I'm probably getting the LC32D62U sharp

And I wanted to know a good adapter to use to connect my laptop to it via DVI. Thanks!

I'm using a Belkin DVI/HDMI from Fry's. Cost $85 dollars and the pictures are clear and crisp, well worth it. I bought my 32D62U at Circuit City and they tried to sell me the "Monster" ones for $100+.

I'm using a Belkin DVI/HDMI from Fry's. Cost $85 dollars and the pictures are clear and crisp, well worth it. I bought my 32D62U at Circuit City and they tried to sell me the "Monster" ones for $100+.

So I assume that'll just plug in without a problem into the HDMI port on the TV and DVI on the computer? :D I really want one of these!

uh 85 bucks for a DVI to HDMI cable is 75 bucks too much. It's a digital signal, it's either going to make it not. Using Belkin's/Monster's garden hoses isn't going to improve IQ one bit.

www.monoprice.com

pdonket - Yes and don't forget to set the "View Mode" to "Dot by Dot."

Sinister - I bought a cheap one and it looked like crap. Had to wait in line for 30 minutes at Fry's to return and just got a Belkin. I read the cnet review and mine is less than 10 feet, but I did notice a difference.

Sinister - I bought a cheap one and it looked like crap. Had to wait in line for 30 minutes at Fry's to return and just got a Belkin. I read the cnet review and mine is less than 10 feet, but I did notice a difference.
Placebo I'm afraid. :)

After reading about all the dead pixel problems in this thread I am so happy I decided to go with the 42" Westinghouse. Best purchase for my PC I have ever made. It was a nice upgrade from my 3007WFP-HC.

gah I wish I knew what to do here.

I need a LCD HDTV w/ TV tuner under 40" that goes to 1080p....such a predicament, i know this is a Sharp thread, but I would really appreciate open answers!!!

After reading about all the dead pixel problems in this thread I am so happy I decided to go with the 42" Westinghouse. Best purchase for my PC I have ever made. It was a nice upgrade from my 3007WFP-HC.

Uh, dude.... That's a downgrade....

Is the Sharp AQUOS LC-32D62U
The same , BUT just without the X-Box, Playstation inputs ??

It looks like i could just use HDMI to DVI cable to connect them together ?

I mainly want to use it as a computer monitor and would like to get 1920 x 1080 resolution.

The reason I ask is because the LC-32D62U sells for just under $1000.oo
And saving around $ 500.oo is a great idea to me.
Plus they look the same

31FE0Mj3pIL._AA280_.jpg

gah I wish I knew what to do here.

I need a LCD HDTV w/ TV tuner under 40" that goes to 1080p....such a predicament, i know this is a Sharp thread, but I would really appreciate open answers!!!

I've seen most of the 32" to 40" 1080p screens by Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, Samsung, and LG, and can state that they all look great. Your taste will dictate which you prefer the most.

Can anybody recommend a reliable place to order this off the net? One that maybe has a dead pixels warranty you can purchase? The local Best Buy only carries the 32 inch version and I want the 37. I guess I could just order it from Best Buy and then if it has a lot of dead pixels return it to the local store. Thanks for your help.

wolfie

Uh, dude.... That's a downgrade....
Is that what you think? I guess you haven't seen the LVM series. It really depends on what you do on your monitor. Gaming looks beautiful on both, but the difference in size actually matters in gaming and movies and that is what my machine was built for. The huge resolution of the Dell was fine and all, but I still had screen shrink syndrome really bad. 30" is just not big enough for me and after using the 42" for a while I could never downsize. Best decision I have ever made. I actually just got a 47" Westinghouse yesterday. Easily the best value out there and it looks just as good as a screen that costs twice as much.

If I may add, I just recently started playing Battlefield 2142 on this TV. And I must say, at full screen 1400x1050 with bars on each side, its HUGE still and looks really great (seems to have very little ghosting in this game where in LOTRO in widescreen I notice much more ghosting)...

I have the non gamer version and I have been very happy with it for over 2 months now!

If I may add, I just recently started playing Battlefield 2142 on this TV. And I must say, at full screen 1400x1050 with bars on each side, its HUGE still and looks really great (seems to have very little ghosting in this game where in LOTRO in widescreen I notice much more ghosting)...

I have the non gamer version and I have been very happy with it for over 2 months now!

Awesome :D thanks for sharing that because my main game is BF2142!

Anyone with the LC-32D62U (the non-gamer version) that can work with PC at 1920x1080 via DVI-HDMI cable?
Please let me know. I am quite confused.
Thanks

There seem to be a lot of people with the 32" GP1U but I was wondering at a distance of 3 feet. Is a 37" going to be okay? I'm asking anyone with a 37GP1U or people with the 32GP1U at the distance of 2 1/2 - 3 ft. Could you handle the 37" without strain on the eyes and neck? I would like the extra screen size for watching movies/tv in bed which is 6 or 7 ft away.

As well anyone have some pics they want to post with there 32 or 37GP1U? It's been a while since we saw some new screens posted with games or desktop.

Last question have they solved the issue with the autmatic back lighting with firmware or newer batches ? Can you infact turn that off so it dosn't change the brightness when your playing games or surfing the web?

Thanks in advance!

Anybody shopped at uBid before?
Is it a good place to go for my wish GP1u?
Let me know please

Anyone with the LC-32D62U (the non-gamer version) that can work with PC at 1920x1080 via DVI-HDMI cable?
Please let me know. I am quite confused.
Thanks

Yes Bluray this works fine. Its the setup I am using and I am quite satisfied with it. Only difference between the two screens, the gamer edition has ports on it where you can turn on Viper Drive and that reduces some of the process within the monitor to reduce input time between when your TV receives the picture from the gaming device, and when you actually see it on the screen... Honestly, I don't notice any input lag on the LC-32D62U for this to be a problem.

- Fred

I sit about an arms lenght away and it's fine on the eyes. I did have to lower my table 2 inches or so because of the necrk strain. I posted pictures a bit more than 2 weeks ago but I returned it to get a Westy 37 inch; cost $600 less.

I sit about an arms lenght away and it's fine on the eyes. I did have to lower my table 2 inches or so because of the necrk strain. I posted pictures a bit more than 2 weeks ago but I returned it to get a Westy 37 inch; cost $600 less.

My problem with the Westy was the level of black reproduction and the fact that 5 more inches of real estate was too big for my setup... I don't really have the room to move back and this screen is perfect for being at as you put it, arms length ;)

- Fred

For the money I saved going with the Westy, I can buy a $300 calibration unit and get it spot on. But I really don't want to and with the guides online, I have my blacks pretty close to its true being. If you look at the pictures of my desktop, I'm still sitting at about that distance and the screen is 5 inches bigger. If the problem simply is because your desk does not have the room, that's one other thing. The distance, 1 arms lenght, maybe a tad bit more, is fine on both the Sharp 32 and Westinghouse 37.

If your looking for a good TV and monitor, Sharp is a good chocie to go. If it was the same price as the Westinghouse, even though it is 5 inches smaller, I would have kept the Sharp. But $1,515 (plus dvi/hdmi cable) vs less than $900 shipped is an easy choice in my mind.

Does anyone on this forum have the 37GP1U ? I have seen the 32 inch model. But would really like to see the 37 inch. I'm looking at the 37inch for my purchase but want to see the difference in size, and desktop space from a 32" vs 37" as they both have 1920x1080 but the extra 5 inches would make some change.

Anyone that can post pics of there 37 or 32 with desktop image or web browsing, or gaming would be awesome.

Thanks

For the money I saved going with the Westy, I can buy a $300 calibration unit and get it spot on. But I really don't want to and with the guides online, I have my blacks pretty close to its true being. If you look at the pictures of my desktop, I'm still sitting at about that distance and the screen is 5 inches bigger. If the problem simply is because your desk does not have the room, that's one other thing. The distance, 1 arms lenght, maybe a tad bit more, is fine on both the Sharp 32 and Westinghouse 37.

If your looking for a good TV and monitor, Sharp is a good chocie to go. If it was the same price as the Westinghouse, even though it is 5 inches smaller, I would have kept the Sharp. But $1,515 (plus dvi/hdmi cable) vs less than $900 shipped is an easy choice in my mind.

True. But I have the Non Gamer edition and I only paid $1,242 for it on sale at SEARS. And as far as I can say, desk space is not the issue, but at arms length for me, the 32 inch is just right. Anything bigger would not work at arms length in my situation.

- Fred

hi all in the toronto area,i have been looking for the 32GP1u for 2 weeks now,saw it at Baybloor radio for 1699 but i live in the west end so today i did a little trip that included Sears,The Bay,2001AV and Futureshop,nobody had it in stock,on a wim i went to Trutone Electronics on Dundas W in mississauga and they had it listed as 1598,asked rep what his best price was and picked it up for 1458can,still in the box as we had visitors but if your intrested ask for Iggy,cheers.

dj6518

Back