• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Got my new X800XTPE

tree_

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
1,707
I'm very happy to get off my lame FX5600 finally arg! Anyways I get 6,100 in 3Dmark05 which I guess is good. But in HL2 I go from around 40fps in big open area fights to 100-200 fps in smaller areas with less action. The system I'm on now is a follow:

Socket 754 Athlon64 3200+
MSI K8T Neo+
1x512 Geil PC3200
SATA Drive
ATi X800XTPE

I always play in 1024, only have 2xaa/2xaf, in game are all high, with world detail and model detail set to medium... I'm wondering why my fps drops so low with my new card... I don't even have it maxed out and get down to 40fps. I thought dropping 400$ on a video card would allow me to play at 8xaa/8xaf all maxed at 1600x1200 if I desired and still get 100fps solid.. Can someone help me out here? Is this normal? What should I set my setting to in game and on the desktop?
 
You should get some more RAM. This game needs it. That being said, have you run driver cleaner and reinstalled the drivers?
 
hl2 and pretty much every other new game out or coming out has been eating ram. You need a gig.
 
I plan to order another gig of ram so its 1x1024 and 1x512 so 1.5 gigs of ram. By doing so, will this make my fps rise? I thought lower ram just made it studder, not stay low around 40-60 in big maps/battles.. And I used driver cleaner to delete my older ones. But when I went into mIRC and displayed my display properties and read them as my FX5600 still. But there is not one NVidia file left on this computer.
 
I'd just get another 512 stick unless the timings on that gig stick match up to what you have...because it could slow down the 512 (in timings, not speed).
 
What is playable for you guys? 200fps or more?
C'mon I'm currently playing everything at 16x12 temp6x/16aa and it runs perfectly. My rig isn't that wonderful too. You guys are weird.
 
tree_

make sure and get a matching stick of RAM for the current stick you got in there. this is because you'll be running in dual channel mode and you want them to be as close to exact so you don't run into any errors. oh yea, i'm jealous of your video card ;)
 
I swear to god, just six months ago, when I was researching the net for information about which components I should put into my new PC, virtually everyone said to me... 'Dude, there is no game that needs more than 512 megabytes of RAM.'

It seems now that no new game that's cutting edge will run smoothly on anything other than a system with 1 gig of RAM.

I think we've turned another corner.
 
It's the same exact ram, just in a gig stick. So anyways, in 1024x768 I should be getting a stable 100fps right? I play to win and not for looks really. I want my game absolutely smooth as on CS 1.6. No matter what I do I can't keep my fps at 100. I cranked all the settings maxed and set the res to 1280x1024 and still get the same fps... Does anyone here get a stable 100fps no matter what?
 
tree_ said:
It's the same exact ram, just in a gig stick. So anyways, in 1024x768 I should be getting a stable 100fps right? I play to win and not for looks really. I want my game absolutely smooth as on CS 1.6. No matter what I do I can't keep my fps at 100. I cranked all the settings maxed and set the res to 1280x1024 and still get the same fps... Does anyone here get a stable 100fps no matter what?


your bottle necked on the cpu and your lack of dual channel config and only 512 has you bottled up there as well due to a lack of bandwidth
 
Okay...... First of all, you need to get another 512, NOTHING MORE or else you'll seriously hurt your performance, do to the A64 having issues with running 3 DIMMs, it'll drop speeds to PC2700 at 2T, you wont like that.

Next, if you havent run Driver Cleaner, do so, or else you've hurt yourself.
 
T-nm said:
What is playable for you guys? 200fps or more?
C'mon I'm currently playing everything at 16x12 temp6x/16aa and it runs perfectly. My rig isn't that wonderful too. You guys are weird.
what are your specs
 
I'll be ordering the other stick on Monday. So you guys suggest I go with only 2x512 DDR PC3200 rather than ONE stick of 1024 and ONE stick of 512? I won't be using 3 DIMMs to take up all three slots. So which is the best? I have money for up to 2x1024 if needed...
 
If I were to upgrade to S939 to get the dual channel would that help? I really don't want to upgrade just to have the same hardware specs except my ram run in dual channel. I was looking to get the SN95G Shuttle thats socket 939 but I dont think it supports dual channel. Would that be a reason to not get it? I go to a lot of lans and though it would be perfect with a 6800 in it.
 
tree_ said:
If I were to upgrade to S939 to get the dual channel would that help? I really don't want to upgrade just to have the same hardware specs except my ram run in dual channel. I was looking to get the SN95G Shuttle thats socket 939 but I dont think it supports dual channel. Would that be a reason to not get it? I go to a lot of lans and though it would be perfect with a 6800 in it.

You dont need dual channel, its really not worth your money at all. What you do need? 512 more of memory, you'll be plenty happy then. Just dont get 1.5GBs.

And jesus, fix your XT PE, its not hard, there is some trail of the old card in your rig still, did you run Driver Cleaner by following the directions, meaning in Safe Mode?
 
Skrying said:
Okay...... First of all, you need to get another 512, NOTHING MORE or else you'll seriously hurt your performance, do to the A64 having issues with running 3 DIMMs, it'll drop speeds to PC2700 at 2T, you wont like that.

Next, if you havent run Driver Cleaner, do so, or else you've hurt yourself.
Actually they run 3 DIMMs fine... They drop to 2T with 4 DIMMs. However you'd be a moron to pair a gig stick with a 512.
 
No, I don't think you can buy a powerful enough PC. Jesus man, the game only came out 5 months ago. The 512mb of ram won't add performance to your pc other than removing the studdering in your games. That's not what ram is for, well more ram at least. If you want higher framerate, the CPU is the one to look at now, since your video card is up to date. Go buy an athlon fx 55.
 
yeah, guys, more ram wont increase his FPS - hes got a driver problem or hes CPU limited (i mean, come on. he gets it in heavy firefights. thats AI and geometry, right there) as a 1280 and lower should be completly smooth on an x800 anything in HL2.

more ram will releave stuttering in games. it wont raise your FPS.
 
RAM is always good anyway, 512 is starting to become a bare minimum. Also, your CPU is the bottle neck. If you havent already, overclock it, Athlon 64's do that very well ;) (read the guides in the overclocking session first :cool: ). Since your CPU is the bottle neck CRANK UP YOUR GRAPHICS. Your performance should stay the same. I get 5900 in 3DMark05 with my 6800GT and I play the game at 1600x1200, 4xAA and 8xAF, with a constant 60+FPS; you should be able to do that at least.
 
I only run 512 and naver have any sort of slow downs. I like 512 due to the oc factor.
 
I didn't know a 3200+ would become a bottleneck so soon.... Anyways, I can't really OC due to high temps. At idle im at 46C and under heavy load I've seen it at 58C. Once this other stick of ram comes in, I'm reformatting and starting clean with fresh up to date drivers so no lame NVidia crap is left behind. If I were to plop in a 3500+ into the Shuttle I plan to build would that help?
 
That would help a little bit. Don't expect some dramatic difference though. You're not goign to get the fluid 100 frames per second you want. I honestly don't know what kind of diffference it would make. I'm thinking about making the jump right now to either a 3500+ 939 or a 3700+ 754. Haven't made up my mind yet. My 19" monitor died about 2 weeks ago though, so I think I might have to get a new monitor, the 15" I have now blows.
 
I'm stuck on what to do... I'll just let this other stick of ram arrive and reformat and see how it goes from there.
 
tree_ said:
I didn't know a 3200+ would become a bottleneck so soon.... Anyways, I can't really OC due to high temps. At idle im at 46C and under heavy load I've seen it at 58C. Once this other stick of ram comes in, I'm reformatting and starting clean with fresh up to date drivers so no lame NVidia crap is left behind. If I were to plop in a 3500+ into the Shuttle I plan to build would that help?

Your sig says 3400+ . Which do you have? Either way, your CPU isnt that big of a bottleneck. With the current high end cards, every CPU out there is a bottle neck. OCing would help a bit, but you said you cant do that. A new motherboard and processor, well it would agian help, it woudlnt be anything huge. I think the biggest thing that needs to change is your expectations. 100+ fluid FPS is unresonable. Its pysically impossable to for your eye to distinguish anything over 60fps anyways, so crank your graphics and as long as your not dropping below 60fps (which you shoudlnt) your doing fine.
 
So let me get this straight, you mentioned that the diplay properties show your card as a GeForce ....., even though you have an ATI card installed? If this isn't a driver problem I don't know what is. Refomatting your machine is your best course of action, if you don't mind taking the time to do it.

If not, boot into safe mode, remove any phantom devices you see. Do you have an n-force board, with onboard video? Make sure it's disabled in the bios. Also make sure that you aren't mistaking the chipset drivers for video drivers if its an n-force board.

With 512mb I was perfectly able to run this game at 1024X768 with 4xAA and 8xAF and high quality settings on a 9800 pro. I can run 1280x960 with 4xAA and 16xAF with quality setting maxed out, on a 12pipe X800Pro.

Work out the driver issue, and you'll get better performance. Remember HL2 is optimized for ATI if your card is seen by this game as an nvidia fx5 series, you'll never get the perfomace you want.
 
I put in my neweg order lastnight for more ram and some headphones and another blue led fan. Once it all arrives I'm working on air flow and to reformat my hard drive. What are the best fan positions for air flow? For now I have a 120mm intake in the front bottom end of my case and an exaust on the read mid end of my case which is an 80mm and 2 CCFL's and go up to 58C under load.... =/
 
You want an intake in the front, and intake on the side (that's important, an exhaust there will make your CPU fan pointless) and then an exhaust in the back and a exhaust on your blowhole.

That'll be great airflow.
 
Well my case only has room for 2 fans. I'm thinking a 120mm intake on the front bottom, and an exaust on the read that is 120mm. Those are the only 2 places my SilverStone case allows to add a fan.
 
tree_ said:
Well my case only has room for 2 fans. I'm thinking a 120mm intake on the front bottom, and an exaust on the read that is 120mm. Those are the only 2 places my SilverStone case allows to add a fan.


Ummm, what's the read? You mean rear?

But yes, you should have one in the front as an intake and the rear end one as a exhaust.
 
120mm front intake and 120mm back exhaust is plenty. But check your install of that heatsink, holy shnizzle those are some high temps :eek:
 
i would like to second that your temps are insane. i have a 3200+ oced to 2.27 and i have added just a touch of voltage for stablility, and i have never EVER getten above 36* celcious(sp). and that is after running cpuz in cpu totrtur test for several hours.
no grant it i do have a 120 front intake 80 side intake and a 120 rear exausht(sp) that sucks out 117 cfm, but still. my frined has an hp with a 3300 and it has only 1 exuast fan, and thats on the back of the psu. i would turn of that computer and check to see if you even have thermal paste applied.
 
Heh its with the stock that comes pre-applied. I plan to order a nice on soon with some AS5 and get a nicer motherboard for this computer and overclock it a bit.
 
bboynitrous said:
That would help a little bit. Don't expect some dramatic difference though. You're not goign to get the fluid 100 frames per second you want. I honestly don't know what kind of diffference it would make. I'm thinking about making the jump right now to either a 3500+ 939 or a 3700+ 754. Haven't made up my mind yet. My 19" monitor died about 2 weeks ago though, so I think I might have to get a new monitor, the 15" I have now blows.


I am runing a 3500 and an sli set up and ...........no problem. I will go fx55 when the drop in price
 
jacuzz1 said:
I am runing a 3500 and an sli set up and ...........no problem. I will go fx55 when the drop in price

Same.

However, I have to say that my x800xt-pe played the game at 1600x1200 with 4xAA/16xAF everything maxed totally smooth (as in 65-150FPS at all times) on my older, much less powerful system. So yes, something is wrong with his setup.
 
my specs:
Athlon 64 3200+
Gigabyte k8nxp nforce3 250 chipset
512mb pc4000 xms pro
radeon 9700 pro

in hl2:dm online, i get around 80-120fps /w 4xaa 4xaf

make sure you have the latest drivers for everything
if u put on temporal aa it will give you a solid 60fps which any game will run smoothly at.
 
Back
Top