Got my Hanns-G HG281 Today!! Pics

The backlight bleed in the 3rd picture looks pretty intense.. :(

yes that definately looks very bad, I dunno if I would keep that one

Intense? You're being too nice. It's very bad, You should turn that one in and try out another. Pic 2, 3 and 4. Wow. What bleeding. Is it me, or do you have a dead pixel right in the middle on pic 3?

The picture look way overexposed eg. noticed the lack sharpness of the text. I doubt it looks that bad in person.

Anyone got any idea of the input lag ? Thanks.

DUDE, i have the vx922 too and im looking to upgrade too. you gotta tell me what you think of the Hanns compared to the vx922. things like ghosting and input lag obviously, im a twitch gamer (tribes :)) and need a fast monitor, as good as the vx922 or better.

I'd say go for it... you have to adjust the screen it took me a bit to find the settings, but go under the color settings and set it up for I Think it was 5200 and tweak from there... that gave me the closest and I mean I can't tell the dif between my VX922 and this monitor now...

100% satisfied.

Also no lag at all. I have seen no ghosting or bleeding... just crisp clean image. Just make sure you have a quality DVI to HDMI cable... I have one from monoprice for 15 bucks works wonderfully!

I went into work today, and they had this monitor hooked up to one of the Velocity Micro PCs with the Bioshock Demo playing. This monitor is beautiful, especially for that price. If I didn't already use my 32inch Sharp, I'd probably get this.

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and I have no complaints at all. It replaced a 19 inch crt that was starting to make a high pitched whine when large amounts of white or bright colors were on the screen.

A picture of it after being properly adjusted!

Notice the lack of back light bleeding? Notice how it mirrors the two Viewsonics now? Its all in the adjustments, but yea a wonderful deal considering another 2.5 inches would cost me about double!!

My Setup

A picture of it after being properly adjusted!

Notice the lack of back light bleeding? Notice how it mirrors the two Viewsonics now? Its all in the adjustments, but yea a wonderful deal considering another 2.5 inches would cost me about double!!

My Setup

How did you go about adjusting yours? I don't own this LCD, but am curious.

I bought this monitor over the weekend to replace my 2407, and I was happy with it until I played Bioshock, at which point I noticed that the dark areas were completely washed out and featureless, exactly as the ExtremeTech review had described.

I understand that tweaks can be made both to the monitor itself and at the driver level, and I've tried both, but I just can't get those dark areas looking any better ...

Sunin, could you please provide a bit more detail about what settings you used? If I can't fix this I'm going to have to return it this weekend.

I bought this monitor over the weekend to replace my 2407, and I was happy with it until I played Bioshock, at which point I noticed that the dark areas were completely washed out and featureless, exactly as the ExtremeTech review had described.

I understand that tweaks can be made both to the monitor itself and at the driver level, and I've tried both, but I just can't get those dark areas looking any better ...

Sunin, could you please provide a bit more detail about what settings you used? If I can't fix this I'm going to have to return it this weekend.

Are u comparing it to a CRT monitor as u play? Im using an old 19" xerox monitor that really isnt anything special, and I cant tell the difference in black tones from my crt monitor (i run a dual monitor setup) - perhaps the maps are just made very dimm?... Im running the 2 monitors at about the same brigtness/contrast settings - maybe u should crank up the brightness a bit?

Mine just came today because I got sick of the ghosting on my 2407 HC.

Pros: Huge and same price as the Dell, no ghosting, fast response time, color shifting not too bad. It is noticeable, but not as bad as I have experienced on other TN panels, and very little backlight bleeding (I would say as much as on the Dell or even less), and I bought it from costco :)

Cons: I couldn't get the HDCP to work with my cable box. I have the component to VGA hooked up instead. No 1:1 so it stretches a 16:9 signal to 16:10, and it came with 2 stuck pixels (I was able to massage one out, and the other one is VERY tiny and not worth the hassle of returning yet.

I am returning the Dell since I have been spending more time gaming than actually watching HDTV, and the Hannsg will suffice until a better 27"+ monitor for a reasonable price comes out. No way am I going back to 24" haha.

Cons: I couldn't get the HDCP to work with my cable box. I have the component to VGA hooked up instead. No 1:1 so it stretches a 16:9 signal to 16:10, and it came with 2 stuck pixels (I was able to massage one out, and the other one is VERY tiny and not worth the hassle of returning yet.

Can't you use software for 1:1?

I plan on taking my my westy 42" for this. Or maybe the sharp 32". Is there any serious problems with the hannsG?

Can't you use software for 1:1?

I plan on taking my my westy 42" for this. Or maybe the sharp 32". Is there any serious problems with the hannsG?
Now that I've had it a few days I can provide an even better assessment.

I need 1:1 from my cable box, so software isn't going to work.
This thing is basically a really stripped down 1080p TV/Monitor with very few options as far as settings go. The colors are not fantastic, and especially the blacks get crushed and you cannot change this through the settings. The huge glowing blue G on the front needs to be covered and there is backlight bleeding that is not intense in magnitude, but covers a greater area so it is a little more subtle unless you have a completely dark screen. I would say that backlight bleeding covers over 25% of my screen, but it is very subtle compared to other monitors I have had in the past, and it bugs me far less. I would not recommend this as a long term solution, but it suits my needs well for now. I watch 90% sports programs in HD, and I play computer games 90% of the time and it works for that. However, I am still looking for something with better color and options for the future that is affordable, which is why I bought this at Costco so I could take it back when such a monitor becomes available. I took back my 4 month old 2407WFP HC to Costco and was literally handed $700 in cash. Monitors I have my eyes on right now are the Aquos 32" gaming edition and the Dell 3007HC, when the price is right just for you to get an idea of how the HannsG compares.

Just got one @ Best Buy
for whooping $532+32tax something closes to that... with total of $570 out the door..
I had 22 acer before this and this thing is MASSIVE!!!
No dead pixels, haven't done any tweaking and gaming tomorrow, I'll snap some pictures tomorrow...

I've been eying this screen for a week or so now. I decided to go for it and ordered one from Costco.com for $499. I am not picky about my displays at all, so it should work great for me. It's kind of interesting how two people can view the same image so differently. I'm moving up from a Westinghouse 22" to this guy. It's going to be used as my primary PC monitor and Xbox 360 display. I'll be sure to post what I think about it when it comes.

I'm thinking about buying this from Costco online soon so please post more pics, thought and impressions! I will use it mainly as a pc display on my desk for gaming on it and to play xbox 360 on it. Thanks!

Its definately a good deal at this price, I think. Oh btw can I watch hdtv on this through my hd cable box using component cables? Im not a huge display critic, I'm on a Hanns G 19 inch lcd right now at 1400x900 and i've been happy with it for 1 year and a half now! So... thoughts, more pics anyone, rants, raves or opinions???

I'm thinking about buying this from Costco online soon so please post more pics, thought and impressions! I will use it mainly as a pc display on my desk for gaming on it and to play xbox 360 on it. Thanks!

Its definately a good deal at this price, I think. Oh btw can I watch hdtv on this through my hd cable box using component cables? Im not a huge display critic, I'm on a Hanns G 19 inch lcd right now at 1400x900 and i've been happy with it for 1 year and a half now! So... thoughts, more pics anyone, rants, raves or opinions???

I am about to replace mine for a Westy 37w3se because I am not satisfied with the quality of watching TV on my HannsG. However, for PC gaming it is awesome in terms of response time and the viewing angles are pretty good for a TN panel. It comes with a VGA to component dongle which I am using so you can hook up a component source. If buying from Costco, there is no reason not to buy this as you can return it at any Costco location and get cash back.

Thanks for the reply newster, sounds good, except, what about the display made it not so good for tv watching in your observations? How long does costco give you in order to return it, would you know right off hand? 28 inches for this price seems like a great deal! Also is it true that the Xbox 360 isnt full 1080 p on this through vga???

Thanks for the reply newster, sounds good, except, what about the display made it not so good for tv watching in your observations? How long does costco give you in order to return it, would you know right off hand? 28 inches for this price seems like a great deal! Also is it true that the Xbox 360 isnt full 1080 p on this through vga???

TV watching is not good through the VGA because there is no 1:1 pixel mapping, meaning it stretches the 16:9 image vertically to fit the screen. If you watch movies from a computer source, this is not an issue. I have not watched TV through the HDMI since I cannot get my cable box to handshake with the monitor so I cannot comment on that. One other thing is the backlight bleeding while watching movies, which is not bright, but covers a large area, and the black colors get crushed. If you look at different black levels, the lowest 4 look the same which makes movies with a lot of dark areas lose a lot of detail. These issues are minor for me when gaming, but when I am watching TV or movies, it is very annoying. I have not run a 1080p signal via VGA yet and the Costco return policy is not restricted on this item, meaning you can return it at anytime. I called Costco to confirm this.

Thanks newster, big help! I think I'm going to go ahead and get it and see how I like it.

I bought mine from BB a couple weeks ago, and it rocks for gaming, which is pretty much what i bought it for. I'm completely happy with it, minus two dead pixels (my first in about 5 lcds, so i guess i was due)....though I'm contemplating returning it and getting the Gateway XHD3000 for the extra resolution. Not entirely sure...been thinking about it for a couple days now :D

I bought mine from BB a couple weeks ago, and it rocks for gaming, which is pretty much what i bought it for. I'm completely happy with it, minus two dead pixels (my first in about 5 lcds, so i guess i was due)....though I'm contemplating returning it and getting the Gateway XHD3000 for the extra resolution. Not entirely sure...been thinking about it for a couple days now :D

One tip for anyone purchasing a monitor from Best Buy. If you take it straight to the geek squad counter after you purchase it, they'll check it for dead pixels. If there are any, then they'll swap your monitor for another one right then.

I picked one up today also from BB. Had one stuck pixel which I was able to get out rubbing the spot.

I'm not immensly picky about my monitors, but with no stuck pixels, no backlight bleed and what looks like a great TN panel, I'm definitely happy. I can only really see a difference in pixel color looking at the monitor in vertical angles... horizontally doesn't seem to change them much.

Got mine friday from BB.

I used the tests on the following page to adjust it,

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

I set the monitors color temp to 65k, brightness to 25, and contrast to 54. This improved the range of colors visible in the quick contrast test.

Then I dialed in 12% digital vibrance afterwards just cause I like it.

Looks way better than it did out of the box.

I just picked up one of these from BestBuy last night. It's not a bad monitor for a TN panel. I have noticed the model that BestBuy offers (HG-281DJB) has height adjustment while the model that Costco has (HG-281DPB) doesn't. If you get it, you will definately have to kick down the brightness and contrast. I'm still debating on whether to keep it or return it though. Knowing me, I'll most likely keep it

I bought my HG281 about three weeks ago. I bought it as part of a HUGE cycle of monitors I was trying out: Sceptre X24WG, Gateway FHD2400, DoubleSight DS-245W, Westinghouse L2410NM, LG L246WP-BN, Planar PX2611W, and the Hanns G HG281.

After not being impressed by any of them, I bought a Huey Pro calibration device ($90 on A^^Z@N). Not sure what settings most are using for their HG281, but one thing is absolutely sure. After calibrating all the monitors, I kept the HG281 and returned the rest.

Why? Once calibrated, the HG281 was the only one of the lot that did not oversaturate colours, kept text clear and clean, had absolutely no input lag, ghosting, tearing or blurring during FPS sessions, AND even though it is a TN panel had the best black contrast. Sure the viewing angles are 160 instead of 176 or 178, but I sit in front of my screen and when I am lying in bed watching a movie or TV, I simply tilt it down. No worries.

I game first (FPS mostly), surf the web second, and watch HD TV/movies third. I am pleased with the monitor. When I bought it, the price was only $425 at Costco. Before calibration, I was going to return it with the rest. Thankfully, I calibrated them all first and found this gem. I cannot be happier with the HG281. This monitor may not be for everyone (only one digital input via HDMI), however, when calibrated, it is simply amazing.

Well what where these great calibration numbers you used to get it looking so good? Share the wealth!

During calibration, I ended up setting the brightness to 10 and contrast to 75. The last step of guidance from the Huey gave me three colour temps to chose from: D55, D65, D75 (which I assume are 5500, 6500, 7500). It also gave me a choice of three gamma settings: of 1.80, 2.20, 2.40. I selected colour temp of D65 and gamma of 2.40.

I decided to put all of this to test. Uninstalled the Huey, rebooted and hand set everything to the numbers above; first on the panel (except for gamma) and then a second time via the NVIDIA control panel, including sliding the gamma around. Everything by hand failed... miserably... and I have not the slightest clue as to why. The only idea that comes to mind is even though my panel RGB does indicate a temp choice of 6500, the Huey must somehow push something a bit different.

So, the long short of it is I reinstalled the Huey Pro, ran the calibration again and BAM... back to a beautiful screen. I am unsure exactly as to what this thing does that I cannot duplicate, but I am not going to worry about it. It even monitors the ambient lighting in my room and tweaks the calibration instantaneously to match. Best $90 I ever spent, as I can use it to calibrate any monitor AND it made a $425 27.5" TN lcd look better than my 26" S-IPS that cost over $1K.

Hmm... interesting.

I bought my hg281 at BB and it doesn't appear to have a vertical adjustment. I also believe (with absolutely nothing to back it up) that a brightness of 10 would be really freakin' dark on my monitor (I could be wrong though).

My only real question though, is does the Spyder or Huey work in Linux?

Without the Huey, brightness at 10 was unusable. However, with the Huey, brightness at 10 is fantastic. Not sure what it is actually pushing to the the HG281 to make it look so good, and as long as it continues, it could use magic for all I care. lol

Seriously though, I emphatically doubt I could ever make the panel look this pleasing to the eye on my own no matter how long I tinkered with it.

Hmm... interesting.

I bought my hg281 at BB and it doesn't appear to have a vertical adjustment. I also believe (with absolutely nothing to back it up) that a brightness of 10 would be really freakin' dark on my monitor (I could be wrong though).

My only real question though, is does the Spyder or Huey work in Linux?

Is yours the HG281DJB or the HG281DPB? Best Buy's website shows the HG281DJB (link) and states "3-way adjustable stand (height, tilt and swivel)" in the overview. If you go to the Hanns-G website and click products then LCD monitor, you'll see both models shown. It plainly states that the JB has a "Height Adjustable Stand" and the PB has a "Tilt Stand & Swivel Stand".

If you did get the JB and it truly doesn't have height adjustment, then I would be concerned and would like to know this before getting one from Best Buy.

Yep, upon further inspection my monitor *does* have height adjustment. I suppose that's what happens when you don't poke around enough and don't read the manual.

Hmmm....I was interested in this display...until I saw it was a TN....which in theory, would have more banding and less color depth than my current Gateway 2485w which is an SPA panel....

Is it even WORTH going from a 24" to a 28" ? My other choice is going to be the Westinghouse LVM-37W3SE (37") which also has a plethora of inputs......

Worth it going from 24 to 28 is entirely up to you. I plan on getting a Spyder2Express to calibrate this monitor, but in general, I'm very happy with it so far.

I had planned on getting a SOYO 24" at Officemax, which would've been cheaper (and small), but also from what I hear more prone to failure. Since reliability > * to me, and this was a relatively cheap monitor for the size, I went with this. I'm not horribly worried about viewing angles since I don't play video games, surf the net or watch movies from the side of the monitor. As far as color, I think it's just fine. I'm not obsessive about color, but I think it's great so far though.

One thing I have noticed is that playing widescreen DVDs with VLC doesn't show the video full screen... I still get the black bar at the top and bottom of the screen... doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of watching a widescreen movie on a widescreen monitor? Perhaps this is a VLC issue?

One thing I have noticed is that playing widescreen DVDs with VLC doesn't show the video full screen... I still get the black bar at the top and bottom of the screen... doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of watching a widescreen movie on a widescreen monitor? Perhaps this is a VLC issue?

That's because of the aspect ratio used to film the movie. Also keep in mind that PC monitors are 16:10 and not 16:9 like standard TVs. So even a movie that would fill a standard TV widescreen will still have no information at the very top and bottom on a PC monitor.

Just picked up one of these at Best Buy :)

No dead pixels. Its a nice size upgrade from the Benq 22" I was using.

Anyone have any tips for the settings they used to achieve the best color?

I got one of these monitors a few days ago and here are my thoughts (and a couple of questions) for you all. To begin with, I should say that my basis of comparison is the Samsung 226BW "S" panel that I've been using for a while now, which I was pretty content with all around. It's also worth noting that I'm not much of a videophile, and color reproduction is not something I care a lot about. I do, however, care A LOT about scaling, and therein lies the issue.

First, the color on the Hanns-G more or less matches the 226BW, which I was a bit surprised at since the S-panel is generally considered to be one of the better TN panels around. Another surprising aspect is the stand (I have the tilt-and-swivel model): it's way better than the Samsung stand. The ability to easily tilt and swivel really goes a long way to alleviating some of the viewing angle problems with the TNs, in my view. I would go as far to say that the Hanns-G has superior viewing angles than the Samsung for this very reason. I haven't noticed any ghosting on either the Samsung or the Hanns-G. PC gaming looks wonderful on the default resolution on both.

Backlight bleed is a bit worse on the Hanns-G than the Samsung. It's not horrible, but it's noticeable with a black background. I can't get the monitor to actually display 1080p over the the VGA input using an xbox360. When I hook up the component adapter, the screen claims to be displaying 1080p resolution, but it looks so horrible it's hard to tell. That's either because: (1) it's not actually displaying that resolution; or (2) the internal scaling looks so horrendous on anything other than the default resolution that it offends my eyes.

As far as I can tell, the monitor lacks a 16:9 mode, and that kills its utility as anything other than a desktop display. That is incredibly frustrating, because for the price this monitor would be borderline perfect for me. But it's basically unusable with a vga xbox; can't say I have an HDMI model to try with it, but even over the digital port any other than the default resolution on the desktop looks terrible. Again, I'm very sensitive to scaling, though.

I'm on the verge of returning this due to the lack of 1:1 / terrible VGA port performance, but I'm torn because I really like it as a PC display. It makes the 22" Samsung look miniscule by comparison. The rub is that I can probably spend the same amount of money on a 24" monitor that does have 1:1 scaling, however, such as the HP model.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to cure (if possible) my xbox vga-port woes?

Thanks.

verylostindeed,

If you are interested in checking HDMI connectivity with the 360 and you do not have the elite version, Madkatz is coming out with a converter that plugs right into the 360's video output and changes it into HDMI.

MadKatz HDMI Converter

I believe they go on sale in January.

I recently picked up one of the Hanns-G HG281s after doing some research here and a few other places. I was originally looking at 24" screens but I could not pass this up when I saw it at BB. I found one as an open item for well under what Costco sells it for and this was the DJB.

I took your advice Kalrith and had a geek squadder take a look at it before I purchased it to make sure there was nothing glaringly wrong with this particular screen.

There was one dead pixel in the lower right hand corner of the screen however while he was cleaning the screen it disappeared for a moment. I asked him about it and he touched the screen again and it popped back up. This gave me hope so I decided to take it home and see if I could get it to go away for good.

As soon as I plugged it in I was very impressed with the monitor itself. It is large, bright, and despite being an TN panel, has decent viewing angels and can easily be adjusted because of its base. I did notice the bleeding from the top and bottom when displaying all black but that is something that I can live with.

After two days of running the program UD Pixel: UD Pixel I was able to remove the stuck pixel permanently. Great program.

I am having another problem however and I was wondering if anyone might have had the same thing happen to them.

Video will not display when using a DVI->HDMI cable. It works fine with the VGA cable but I would prefer not to use this. Avi, wmp, nothing will work any any of my video players including VLC. My computer also passes the 3D test in dxdiag.

Another thing I have found that is bothersome is that while using the DVI->HDMI cable, if I turn my monitor off and then back on, it will not recognize the signal. I must unplug the HDMI part and then plug it back in to get it to come back on.

Right now my computer is recognizing this monitor as a Device with Removable Storage. I do not have Vista and have not installed any other XP drivers for this monitor.

Do I need another type of driver for XP or might I have a faulty cable? I've tried to pick up a cable to see if that is the problem but it seems most of the B&Ms around me do not carry them.

I've installed all the latest drivers for my video card, Radeon x300, and all the latest codecs but cannot seem to make video work over the HDMI cable.

If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate your advice.

Back