Got more IOPS for the home lab!

NetJunkie

[H]F Junkie
Oh yeah. :) Two 785GB FusionIO ioDrive2 cards.

FusionIO.jpg

Congrats! (Show off! :) ) I recognize that black case in the background through. :D

Do you? What do you think is/was in it?

He PM'd me. Thought that was a handgun case..which it is, and isn't. FusionIO ships these cards in handgun cases, normally. Mine came in cardboard so someone I know gave me a handgun case too.

drool...

Pernix?

Yeah. They don't have a 5.5 beta build yet though. But even with read-only cache the lab flies. I don't have 1.5TB even provisioned right now so everything is out of flash on these cards. :)

Nice. I've got a 1.2TB one of themz I'm getting ready to fire up at work in a dual 8C Proliant.
Jealous for the home lab!

So that FusionIO is detected in ESXi like any other SSD drive? It's similar to OCZ RevoDrive ?

I just got two of them as well. Not for my home lab, but for my work lab. We're still 5.0U2 so PernixData is about to be tested along with Flash Accel since we're running NetApps, but I like Pernix more. When my boss came in I opened my desk drawer up and showed him the case and he thought I brought a Sig to work. "No bud, its not a jammy I promise"

Last edited:
So that FusionIO is detected in ESXi like any other SSD drive? It's similar to OCZ RevoDrive ?

You have to load a driver. There are two. One for it to show up as a Block device and one to show up as a Parallel SCSI device.

We just got our FusionIO Mezz cards for our UCS-B lab in our Solution Center....i'll post some results when I get around to installing them. Just configuring UCS-B from scratch right now with 2 new FI's...and two new Chassis with a mixture of blades.

Did you get the ioTurbine software as well?

Okay so I was just curious what the market price is for those and from what I can tell they go for about $15,000 each! Holy crap that is a good bit a money for a "home lab". Heck even at a "good deal" I would be hard pressed to not just turn around an sell em.

But damn it would be fun to play with them a bit.

Home lab? I thought I had issues paying to host my server in a data center. However my server costs less than one of those. :(

Data centre is always going to be more expensive than home, because you have to pay per month based on specs. All my home stuff is higher end than my online web server lol. Wish I could host my stuff at home. I actually do have the connection for it now, but they don't allow servers. I'll have to wait and see when they come up with the business packages.

As for those cards, they're nice, but how do you replace them when they fail? Do you have to take down the whole server?

Personally I'd be worried about the IO limit using SSDs in a storage environment such as VMs where they'll get quite high IO. I guess in a situation where you have a year to year budget and an upgrade cycle every 3-5 years it's feasible as they'll get upgraded before they fail. The speed must be insane though. You should install windows 98 in a VM just to see how fast it installs. Remember when that used to take like an hour or two to install? :D

For what you get in performance the cost of replacing flash every 3 to 5 years is nothing. Sure, if the card fails I take the server down but big deal...I put it in Maintenance Mode, evacuate the VMs, power down, replace, power up, and out of maintenance mode. Zero downtime for any running VM. Same way I do all my other host maintenance. :)

When we spec SSDs for server-side caching we spec good ones...often Intel 3700s right now. Cheaper than OEM drives with great performance and lifetime. If they die in 3 years the customer has more than gotten their money's worth out of them.

Jason, what Enterprise flash drives are coming in B series blades from Cisco now? Are they S3700s?

Jason, what Enterprise flash drives are coming in B series blades from Cisco now? Are they S3700s?

I had to call in a favor to get that info. :) Wasn't easy but I checked a while back. The Enterprise flash drives are Intel 710s. The Values are Micron P400s. We normally just order 3700s. The problem is getting disk caddies. We often order the cheapest HDs available from Cisco and just pull the HDs out. Since many people do boot from SAN on UCS there aren't a lot of caddies available on eBay or anywhere. I've tried.

Yeah they don't readily give that info out. Appreciate the heads up.

Back