Got meself a Catleap 120hz (over a month ago). Impressions.

Murzilka

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, this is what you all need. This is what you are looking for. Image quality - absolutely superb. Very good black level and it is very well factory calibrated. No need for further calibration, at least for games and internet/windows use. 120 herz - for games - wow, absolutely what everyone who likes playing pc games on there PCs must have. Simply - Must. Have. The display has no tints, no color uneveness, practically no BLB. Overall, the image quailty is very close to a calibrated Samsung S27B970D. White is white and black is black. The Dell U2713HM looks like a second grade product in comparison to this with its backlight problems and 60hz...
PWM flickering is minimal, to the point where it doesn't bother me much. Less sensitive people will never notice it.

You will need at least two 680gtx 4gb graphics cards to run games maxed out at satisfying framerates. (But no FSAA or transparency AA in most games - those will kill the performance, so you will probably need a third graphics card in your system for fsaa...). 4Gb is obligatory. The consumption of VRAM in Skyrim, for example, @85hz rarely goes below 2900mb, and most of the time stays at ~3300mb. Windows Aero is disabled. No graphics mods installed just one official HD pack and shadows increased to 8192mb in the inis. 8x in-game FSAA enabled. Just one example.

The bad: The external power supply blew up after 4hours of use. It was prefaced by a heavy plasticky smell.
Luckily, the monitor was not damaged and the power supply was changed to this wonderful unit: http://www.meanwelldirect.co.uk/pro...l-Din-Rail-Power-Supply/DR-120-24/default.htm, and everything worked well since then.
There is a clear whining sound coming from the monitor starting by 90hz. The sound increases as you increase the refresh rate. At 85hz it is absolutely silent. At 115hz and above it is possible to notice that the image trembles slightly. 85hz seems to be the best choice - no trembling or any unusual sound. extremely pleasant image quality and performance. Although for bf3 I turn 120hz on -) From the other hand, the difference is not that big between 85hz and 120hz. The difference between 60hz and 85hz is enormous, but between 85hz and 120hz - not so much.
I don't know if it's really a bad thing, but you can't control monitor' height. That's it - nothing more negative to say abouth this unique display.

120hz.net experience: Hyper is a very nice person to deal with, especially during the buying period. He responds almost immediately to you letters and demonstrates very attentive approach to its customers.
What I did not like: When I first emailed him about the disturbing smell coming from the powersupply (before it blew up) I was not told to stop using it immediately for the safety reasons.
When it blew up and I emailed him, I was not offered free of charge replacement right away. Actually, I never got this offer.
So if I were to rate 120hz.net service level, it would look something like this: 13/10 presale service, aftersale service - not so good.

The U2713HM sounded less like a second grade product the further I got into your post...

It will sound even less like a second grade product if your monitor dies and you can't get it replaced.

Sorry for being mean, it's great that you're happy and I wish you all the best!

Last edited:
The U2713HM sounded less like a second grade product the further I got into your post...

It will sound even less like a second grade product if your monitor dies and you can't get it replaced.

Sorry for being mean, it's great that you're happy and I wish you all the best!

Yeah, I too am glad he is satisfied with his buy, but the op only reinforced my prior decision not to go for a cat leap for gaming over the Dell 3007wfp hc that I own and have had for 4 years running.

Yeah, I too am glad he is satisfied with his buy, but the op only reinforced my prior decision not to go for a cat leap for gaming over the Dell 3007wfp hc that I own and have had for 4 years running.

Same here. Nothing could ever really convince me to play the lottery with Catleaps. The peace of mind I have with just having gone with a Dell (or any other major name brand had there been other good deals) is truly priceless. When 120hz 1440P IPS is released from a well known brand, I will consider upgrading. But until then, I can live with 60hz.

Service afterwards was lackluster, that i will agree with. But i'll take a broken inexpensive external powersupply over cheap internal electronics any day. Good thing the Catleap has namebrand internals used by all of the better known companies, they are also easy to troubleshoot and source for replacement ;)

Congrats OP, jealous as heck about your rev-2B version :p

Last edited:
OP ignore all the haters for they know not what they say.

I own a catleap 2b and it is amazing. In the past I have owned Dell 3007s, U2410s, numerous Samsung displays and other various high end displays such as the XHD3000. And out of all of those displays the Catleap 2b stands head an shoulders superior.

People have been overclocking the 2bs problem free for over eight months now so I think any fears about their durability should be quelled. A failed power brick here or there is no big deal as I have had name brand display power bricks fail on me.

Anyway, congrats OP. I know your joy and I know it well ;)

Back