• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Got a Xonar DG...HIGHLY disappointed!!!

JoeUser

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
3,919
So I got a new Asus Xonar DG sound card due to the built in headphone amp and quality sound processor.

Coming from onboard ALC890 through analog to my Denon AVR-1610...and cheaper receivers are considered to have cheap headphone quality. So a new sound card...what a upgrade! So I thought...

Using Sony PFR-V1 headphones and JBL Studio S38II (stereo only) by the way.

Anyways, get the card, hook it up, install the drivers and wooow...no difference what so ever. Actually...its worse. Much worse. Bass drops off hard core, sound is hollow and very...I don't know...lacking...just over all very unimpressed and extremely disappointed.

This is both using headphones and my speakers.

Now before I get a bashing, I know its only a $30 sound card and I know its not a Essence ST...but damn, was expecting something better than onboard at least! I know that, minus the "amp", even a Audigy 2 sounds above and beyond this P.O.S.!

I just don't understand how onboard and a cheap headphone out on my receiver sounds MUCH better than a dedicated sound card with headphone amp...or maybe my receiver isn't that bad and onboard is not as terrible as its made out to be?

Oh and one last thing...its not the cheaper amp on the card either...using in-ears with no amplification the sound is the same hollow crappy sound.

Anyways...just a heads up to other potential buyers! This card is certainly going back to where I bought it.

/rant - mini-review - opinion
 
Maybe this warning is better suited for people hooking up their Sony PFR-V1 through a receiver that is connected to their sound card?

I have the Xonar DX and it is years beyond my on-board realtrash audio. The audio is more clear, no distortions and there is no comparison to the 3d positioning while in games.

You had an odd setup. I haven't heard anything buy good feedback from users with medium quality cans.

I have a pair of AD-700 BTW.
 
Yeah, and your DX is also more than twice the price and has entirely different components as well, including the sound processor...so totally unfair comparison.

Also, as my Sony's are on a different level that your headphones (I've owned AD-900's) I'm positive that subtle differences and glitches in audio quality are more apparent on my cans than yours.

That and the fact that, again, you have a different sound card...
 
I wouldn't expect any difference between the last couple generations of onboard audio chipsets and a base model standalone card and I'm not surprised at your results. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the strong suit of these cards with "headphone amps" is when driving headphones directly. Outputting audio to an external Receiver is bypassing the cards main feature.
 
Why not just run digital to your receiver and then run the speakers and headphones from there?
 
I have the Xonar DG. It was definitely better than onboard, but your ears may vary I guess.

And yeah, unless you're using it for its intended purpose (direct headphone amp) then of course it's not going to sound all that amazing.
 
Well I've been reading more deeply about this card and from what I can gather it doesn't actually have a TRUE amp...it just ups the gain to increase the volume...so there's really no actual power increase to headphones.

Also, my headphones are 16ohms and the headphone output is slightly more or less 10ohms, so my headphones aren't exactly "compatible".

As far as audio quality goes it is pretty bad. As I said in my first post the audio is completely lifeless and has horrible bass drop off and badness all in between. This is with my main headphones, in-ears, and speakers...so its not just a headphone issue with this card. Just seems to be kind of crappy overall.

So if you get one and you like it then good for you...some people just "know" what to listen for I guess, plus I am a bit more audio aware than most of the gamers on the forum.

Anyways, I don't seem to be alone on this one as most people over on Head-fi seem to agree :-p
 
Can't expect too much from a $20 card.

Edit: Looks like it has multiple settings for differently ohmed headphones (<32, 32-64, and >64). Did you try changing those settings?
 
Yep...I've tried them all...like you said, $20 card. However, even without using headphones the sound quality is still shitty compared to my on board sound which either means this card is worse than on board or the Gigabyte X58A has exceptional on board audio quality.

I mean, really, my on board is 100x better in every way shape and form better than this POS!

And to all naysayers I assure you I know my audio, I know my tech, its not just me. This card blows...spend more $ and get a better one or just stick with on board.
 
I have a Xonar DG sitting in my closet because I couldn't tell any appreciable difference vs onboard Realtek. My speakers are just junky $50 Logitechs, but I couldn't tell any difference worth paying for with my $150 Bose Triports either.

Shrug.
 
I think the real selling point for the card is the Dolby Headphone, honestly. Not many, if any, onboard solutions provide that, so if you are gaming o headphones it's worth a $20 investment.
 
Onboard audio has come a long way in the last 5-6 years I'd say. Where it was almost necessary to have a dedicated sound card, On my old MSI 790FX-GD70, the sound quality was actually not that bad. It had some "tru bluray HD audio".

However, I don't think I'll ever give up my XFi. Sound quality can't be beat IMO.

OP, definitely get a GOOD sound card. It really makes a difference. That card that you bought could very well have been a step down rather than up.
 
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you Omega.

See, I bought into the whole "all onboard is complete crap and any sound card will be better" line of thinking.

However, in this case I do think that I've ended up with pretty good on board audio. Even with music that didn't sound like crap on the DG my on board still sounds more vibrant and alive. That being said I know for a fact that a GOOD sound card will be better...but looking at the specs for the DG they are worse than my on board. But again...all on board is crap, despite specs...or so I though... :-p

Either case, I think I'll just save my $$$ and get a decent X-Fi and a headphone amp in the long run, but for now my receiver and on board audio is apparently doing a good enough job! ;-)

In the end...lesson learned! Now I just have to return it...
 
Back
Top