Got a hd4870 and now my e6600 will not oc.

ITSTHINKING

[H]ard|Gawd
After getting a hd4870 today (an upgrade from my 8800gtx) I cannot get an overclock to stay on my e6600. Everytime I try to set one, I hit f10 save and then it restarts and powers up but nothing is on the screen. I've even tried using settings that I know worked before. Any idea's or help? Rig in sig. Is there any c2d's that I can just plop in my mobo and have it work that are at 3ghz? I tried swapping in a e8400 but it wouldn't work.

this is annoying me, it's not like this 4870 uses up much if any more power than my 8800gtx did, and I never had any problems keeping a good overclock before. I am wondering if getting a new mobo/cpu will do the trick. Maybe I will invest in an hx650 psu while I'm at it.

I downloaded the file for the new bios, but I have no floppy drive how do I "flash" or upgrade my bios? Anyone with a link to a how to site or thread?

I updated the bios and reinstalled vista, which helped. Strange now I get the oc to stick from the bios to the first boot. Then if I try and reboot or shut down and restart after that, it just turns on and hangs with nothing no signal to the screen. The video card fires up first and fast. Really strange wonder what could cause this.

It could be with your power supply, like said before. Does everything work ok on stock settings? If so, try upping the voltages a bit more when you OC. If it still fails, it could be that your psu just doesn't have enough power for the video card and OC. OCing DOES take more power.

You didn't perchance tinker around with the PCIexpress frequency when you were overclocking? Sometimes when doing this with one card it will be stable, but on others it will not.

If the PSU isn't the issue, this is about the only thing I can think of that would be different.

I had the following setup

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (stock)
2GB OCZ
PNY 8800GTS 320MB
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965
500 Watt Coolermaster

I upgraded my card to the HD 4870, and now my system will boot.. turn off... reboot.... turn off, not even getting to the windows loading screen.

At first I thought it was a PS issue, so I bought a 850 watt ps. BUt still....I get the same results. Anyone want to help me out :(?

I done a search on the E6600 and found this thread. I'm trying to tinker around with OCing it. Don't know if this is still relevant after all this time but my multiplyer is stuck at the stock setting of 9 as well. It has options from 6 to 15 but no matter what I set it on, after I save, exit and reboot it always reverts back to 9. I'm not using a 4870 (yet ;) ), or any new card. But I get the same results. I don't even have any FBS settings to tinker with either as I can tell.

I done a search on the E6600 and found this thread. I'm trying to tinker around with OCing it. Don't know if this is still relevant after all this time but my multiplyer is stuck at the stock setting of 9 as well. It has options from 6 to 15 but no matter what I set it on, after I save, exit and reboot it always reverts back to 9. I'm not using a 4870 (yet ;) ), or any new card. But I get the same results. I don't even have any FBS settings to tinker with either as I can tell.

I don't believe you can set it above 9.

You should have enough wattage, but I'd try another PS just to see..

could also be the mobo. i've got a gigabyte ep45 ds3r that no longer posts at the 9x375 fsb i had prime stable before i installed the second 4870 for cf. i had to back it down to 9x360 fsb to get it prime stable again, but now the whole system crashes within minutes of gaming with cf enabled, and on a 750w real power pro psu that ran dual 3870x2's perfectly.

Its the Gigabyte motherboard causing your problem. This forum is packed with scattered posts of "My XXXX will not OC anymore" and "Why does my chip only run at stock now" and the common theme in almost every single one of these threads is a Gigabyte motherboard. Sorry however those board are simply not very good, a lot of people have this problem, and some do and do not even realize when their chips revert back to stock speeds. I will post some stuff up later for potention fixes, however once you get the board into stupid mode, its not easy to fix permanently.

I had the following setup

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (stock)
2GB OCZ
PNY 8800GTS 320MB
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965
500 Watt Coolermaster

I upgraded my card to the HD 4870, and now my system will boot.. turn off... reboot.... turn off, not even getting to the windows loading screen.

At first I thought it was a PS issue, so I bought a 850 watt ps. BUt still....I get the same results. Anyone want to help me out :(?

Your power supply is not 500watts btw, read up on it. It's 400watts or 450watt rebranded and they just pop the 500watt sticker on it.

Its the Gigabyte motherboard causing your problem. This forum is packed with scattered posts of "My XXXX will not OC anymore" and "Why does my chip only run at stock now" and the common theme in almost every single one of these threads is a Gigabyte motherboard. Sorry however those board are simply not very good, a lot of people have this problem, and some do and do not even realize when their chips revert back to stock speeds. I will post some stuff up later for potention fixes, however once you get the board into stupid mode, its not easy to fix permanently.

Baloney, been running my GA-P35 DS3R for over a year with zero issues. Some boards my be bad but that happens with any Manufacturer. The Gigabyte boards are fine. I had a buddy that was having some stability issues with his GA-P965 DS3R last year and a simple clear cmos and reset fixed his issue.

To the OP I would try a different PSU if you have access to one. Double check that you have the power connectors hooked up to the card ok. Also check all your motherboard, power, cable connections. Could be you knocked something loose while installing the card ?

Baloney, been running my GA-P35 DS3R for over a year with zero issues. Some boards my be bad but that happens with any Manufacturer. The Gigabyte boards are fine. I had a buddy that was having some stability issues with his GA-P965 DS3R last year and a simple clear cmos and reset fixed his issue.

your small sample does not make up for the fact that this problem has been happening pretty regulalry from the 965 boards up to current p45 boards.

Back