Got a Gigabyte Aorus 3080Ti; shocked it runs so cool, is that expected?

gamerk2

2[H]4U
So, two weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from an EVGA 1080Ti to a Gigabyte Aorus 3080Ti. The thing that surprises me the most is how much cooler the new card runs. In Warzone my 1080Ti leveled out at a toasty 87C, but my new card barely hits 64C before stabilizing. Is this typical for 3000 series cards?

That doesn't sound all that abnormal to me. That's one of the fancier board designs with a great big monster heatsink.

Also, it's possible that you're bound by something else in the system (ex: CPU), and the GPU is idling some fraction of the time. If that were happening, even if it reported load as 100%, you'd draw less power and produce less heat.

Well to be fair you're not really giving any details on the exact load that the GPU is under. I mean is this maxed out completely uncapped at 4K? If not then of course that would explain the low temperature since the GPU is not being fully pushed like the much much slower 1080 Ti was. That said it sounds like something was wrong on your 1080 TI if that was a higher end EVGA card because I certainly remember my MSI gaming x 1080 TI with only two fans barely would go over 70°. Heck even the founders edition 1080 Ti, which was the hottest running model, only hit 84°.

Last edited:
I mean all the memory is on one side, so theres no "non existant" cooling on the back side. It also has a HUGE heatsink on it :)

The AORUS cooler has always been one of the best on the market, only competing with the STRIX from ASUS for great air cooling. Around 60C while gaming is typical at default clock and power levels. It will get toastier if you run a game with heavy ray tracing. The FE cooler on Ampere will run in the upper 70C range under typical gaming loads.

The GPU temps aren't what you want to know, it is the VRAM that is important here. Any clue what those temps De under high stress loads?

The temperature target for the FE 1080 Ti was 83C so not surprising there and yeah, it's not the best 30 series cooler but it's pretty okay.

The temperature target for the FE 1080 Ti was 83C so not surprising there and yeah, it's not the best 30 series cooler but it's pretty okay.
Actually it's 84 but even that should not be going to 87 under normal conditions. In fact you can go look at reviews and even overclocked under full stress conditions it typically went to 84. And he has an EVGA card so even the worst cooler on there should be much better than the founders edition.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti/34.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-gtx-1080-ti-sc2/35.html

Actually it's 84 but even that should not be going to 87 under normal conditions. In fact you can go look at reviews and even overclocked under full stress conditions it typically went to 84. And he has an EVGA card so even the worst cooler on there should be much better than the founders edition.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti/34.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-gtx-1080-ti-sc2/35.html
Some evga 1080tis were founders editions.

Given the age the crappy TIM probably dried up. If you repasted the 1080 Ti you probably would've gotten substantially lower temps.

Been pretty happy with an Aorus 3080. Factory BIOS wants to melt the die, but other than that it's great. I set a voltage limit @ 1.0 because otherwise it will try to give it 1.1v and hit 120% power limit occasionally. Fortunately I was able to put an EK block on it and it never goes above 48c.

Given the age the crappy TIM probably dried up. If you repasted the 1080 Ti you probably would've gotten substantially lower temps.
As pointed out, I suspect if pulled apart and checked something would give you your answer. My guess would be a factory error. Something isn't lining up or paste is old or off place.
Do that old beast a favor and give it some care and attention and let it have the sunset romance a card of that stature deserves.

so.. Im still riding my 1080ti FE. wanted 3080 since launch, but availability, then whack pricing, made me pause..

so here we are, almost 2 years later... thought I would check availability on a lark.. and wow.. cards are out there. so.. upgrade now.. or wait for 40xx series...

3440x1440 main display (Asus 34" UW), 9700k cpu, I play FF14 (I do currently run at about 70% graphics features, to keep the 1080ti from screaming, it would be nice to go full 100% everything on)

this thread has me probably ready to pull the trigger on a 3080ti.

OP is your experience this 3080ti was significant upgrade from your 1080ti then? and cooler?

Back