got a big problem

Install the drives into another system and see if the issues still occur.

the LG is from an older PC that broke down due to a mobo failure. i've used the LG drive to install win7 on my new PC, now both drives dont read ANY DVD's

the MSI drive is all new, never even burned a disc on it.

Again, try the drives in another system to see if the drives themselves are the issues or if it's something to do with your OS installation.

i don't have another, closest is 60km from me, unless i take it to a shop but i don't feel like paying atm.

i've installed win7 with the LG drive on this new PC, there's no way both won't read now all of a sudden.

no malware/spyware/virus u name it, this is just weird

Physically uninstall and reinstall the drives if you haven't already. Try another IDE cable if you can.

Besides that, you might be SOL.

Physically uninstall and reinstall the drives if you haven't already. Try another IDE cable if you can.

Besides that, you might be SOL.

i have physically opened the MSI drive and installed it with the IDE 80-pin cable provided with the mobo, tried other new cables and no go.

Here's the problem, as I see it: Assuming you've done everything right up to this point (and yes, I read you Q3W thread), there's a good chance that you're SOL now. It may be easier to just break down and buy a SATA optical drive than it would to continue to tear your hair out and figure out why both of your drive's won't read discs properly.

Yeah and if the SATA drive won't work, then it's something OS related if three different DVD drives using two separate interfaces don't work at all. If the SATA drive does work, then it's a possible IDE/PATA port issue with your mobo.

Yeah and if the SATA drive won't work, then it's something OS related if three different DVD drives using two separate interfaces don't work at all. If the SATA drive does work, then it's a possible IDE/PATA port issue with your mobo.

i have only one IDE port on this mobo and it was used to install win7 on this PC.

will reinstall the LG drive again

EDIT;

sry the other drive is a Lite-on SHM-165H6S not LG.

anyway, hooked it up it boots from CD/DVD on startup and works in windows except for that one brand of disc, them HP discs were the first i bought with the drive, and have all my movies on em.

possibly a firmware update to the drive ?

Last edited:
Back