Gosh dernit! Assistance required

Rocking

n00b
First of all, I live in Finland
I had ordered AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ TRAY S754 ADA3200AEP5A (2.0GHz with 1Mb L2 cache) for 170 euros. I wanted it because it had 1Mb L2 cache unlike the new S754 ones with just 512Kb L2 cache. The place I ordered it from informed me just now that they can't send it to me, because they can't get that processor from anywhere anymore. :mad: For the same price though, they offer to send me AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ TRAY S754 ADA3200AEP4AX. This is a 2.2GHz with 512Kb L2 cache.

Isn't AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ TRAY S754 ADA3200AEP5A with 1MB L2 cache, 2.0 GHz

alot better for an overclocker compared to

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ TRAY S754 ADA3200AEP4AX with 512Kb L2 cache, 2.2 GHz ?

Or does it not affect much at all that the other has twice the L2 cache the other one has? The 512Kb L2 cache has got 200MHz more as default. Which one overclocks better? Should I accept the switch? Is the newer Newcastle core better for overclocking than the older Clawhammer core? Please help if you have any information about this matter!

theoretically and most of the time in practice, the more cache you have the less overcockable it is, look at the extreme edition, doesnt overclock for beans because the cache makes so much heat and the cache is the weakest link 90% of the time on the cpu, more cache, higher chance of it failing sooner

thats the overclocking standpoint at least, in preformance the cache can make a big difference on at least the 939's, its the verry reason the FX line kicks ass, not unlocked multipliers so much as it has that 1 meg of cache. i may be wrong but this is what i have gathered from looking at stuff

The 1mb cache chips tend to be poorer overclockers as compared their 1/2mb counterparts using the same manufacturing process. There are always exceptions of course.

Also for the most part the newcastles are considered to be a bit better overclockers anyway. They are a newer core and have enhancements to the memory controller. Granted its not the newest those would be a winchester or a vinece or one of the other new cores which are considered to overclock even better esp since they are built on a smaller process (90nm instead of .13um).

Back