Google's Fast Pair - Effortless Bluetooth Pairing for Android

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Google announced a new feature for Android 6.0 devices yesterday and calls it Fast Pair. This feature allows you to pair Bluetooth devices quickly and easily and you don't have to mess with any settings. This is going to be very nice for you folks that have Android phones.

Imagine doing all of this without ever fumbling with Bluetooth settings. Users get a seamless and secure pairing experience and confidence that they're connecting to the right product. Manufacturers get their brand, device name and companion app in front of the users.

Given their decision to remove the headphone jack, it's the least they could do.

It's Magical.

...oh wait, that's an Apple term.

It's Googlerific.

Heh. Pretty much.

I guess I can see why this would be a boon for headset manuf. You get a straightforward method for your users to install you proprietary app (I absolutely hate that...). Google gets the ability to see what headsets people are buying. But as a consumer, this does nothing for me aside from allowing me to tell iPhone users "nuh unh! My phone has that too!"

Wait, do people have problems with bluetooth pairing? If so, what issues? I've never encountered any issues....

Yes! Now we can have just 80% of the idiots with Bluetooth capable cars driving around with the handset slapped up side their head instead of 82%

They could run a really effective ad campaign: "Hey you in the Cadillac, Buick, BMW, your car probably has Bluetooth, ask a five year old to set it up for you."

Google is so courageous and excellent for giving you this new feature.

That’s how this works right?

Wait, do people have problems with bluetooth pairing? If so, what issues? I've never encountered any issues....

Yeah I don't get it either. Usually the hardest part for me is having enough patience to hold down whatever the manufacturer used for the pairing button long enough.

Yeah I don't get it either. Usually the hardest part for me is having enough patience to hold down whatever the manufacturer used for the pairing button long enough.
I have a feeling this will be like the wds button on wifi routers. Like if you're too dumb to figure out how to set up a network (in this case for bluetooth, search for a device that you want to connect to and enter in the 4 digit passcode), you just hit a button and hope for the best.
Kind of silly if you ask me.

Just go find a headjack discussion on this tech forum to hear all the "IT Professionals" talk about how hard it is to connect to bluetooth and why they absolutely need their precious jack because it's so reliable.

Just go find a headjack discussion on this tech forum to hear all the "IT Professionals" talk about how hard it is to connect to bluetooth and why they absolutely need their precious jack because it's so reliable.
Technically it's a lot more reliable to plug something in and have it just work. It's a lot more reliable when you don't have to rely on a device that needs to be charged.
I've had some problems recently with my car's audio system not connecting with music audio and me having to do a factory reset on the radio and re-pairing. Usually when i have music already playing on my phone before the connection happens. I don't see how this silly thing will fix anything or address those issues.

Wait... A new feature for Android 6? Marshmallow?

They are still giving Marshmallow updates when 7 (Nougat) and 8 (Oreo) are out?

Depends how you define "out". 7&8 probably account for less than 10% of their install base.

EDIT: Sorry, 18% I guess. Marshmallow 32%

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Fair, but I guess I just assumed that previous versions of Android only got security updates once a new version was out.

If the OEM's want their phones to receive the latest features they can get off their lazy asses and just release a ROM with the latest version.

At least that's how I'd do it if I were Google.

Actually, if I were google I'd completely change the model to where the OEM's have nothing to do with the software and cant modify it. All updates being pushed directly from Google, like with desktop operating systems.

the device has to be bluetooth fast pair compatible.
which im pretty sure none of my headphones have that.
another feature to get you to buy into more crap and accessories.

Technically it's a lot more reliable to plug something in and have it just work. It's a lot more reliable when you don't have to rely on a device that needs to be charged.
I've had some problems recently with my car's audio system not connecting with music audio and me having to do a factory reset on the radio and re-pairing. Usually when i have music already playing on my phone before the connection happens. I don't see how this silly thing will fix anything or address those issues.
lol sigh.... cables are too hard for me bud, i'm always tripping on them ripping things out, damaging ports requiring the purchase of a new phone or stereo head unit. This new "charging" thing is so new to me, never have I had to charge a device on any regular interval before, how can I possibly remember? We need to go back to landlines and rotary phones, all this newfangled tekmology is too much work.

This new "charging" thing is so new to me, never have I had to charge a device on any regular interval before, how can I possibly remember? We need to go back to landlines and rotary phones, all this newfangled tekmology is too much work

Arrogant aren't we? Some people may not want to charge a set of ear buds. I don't. Besides sound quality from earbuds is awful and then pair that up with bluetooth and the sound quality is even worse, but hey, this new teknologee roks. Not to mention it is very possibrl to lose one earbud and still have the other. Oooh another way to get you to buy more stuff.

Technology is coming to a point where it is not advancing or making our lives easier. It is coming to the point where all it does is cause headaches and lines the pockets of the corps, but hey, go ahead and make fun.

It seems you are one of those who do not like to have a choice and want companies to make you use something. Maybe you have a hard time making decisions.

I always find it funny when a person is so arrogant that their way should be the only way and whoever doesn't agree must be dumb or stupid.

Fair, but I guess I just assumed that previous versions of Android only got security updates once a new version was out.

If the OEM's want their phones to receive the latest features they can get off their lazy asses and just release a ROM with the latest version.

At least that's how I'd do it if I were Google.

Actually, if I were google I'd completely change the model to where the OEM's have nothing to do with the software and cant modify it. All updates being pushed directly from Google, like with desktop operating systems.
Or iPhone :p

Yep this is exactly how they make it more confusing. Knowing how to connect a device through Bluetooth, or Wifi, is an incredibly important part of learning how to operate a phone. Now they just took that process and added another complication, another level of confusing. Why does my headphone not automatically pair??????????? I can hear them already. Instead of just asking people to know how to setup Bluetooth. Its kinda like how you need to know how to put gas in your car imagine if you start pulling up at gas stations and they have some new type of pump, and it only works with certain cars. Its something so basic that people should just learn how to do it on their particular device. And I say that as a person whom is all for automation and ease of use. But there is something to be said for making something standard. Adding new standards does not help with standardization.

Wait... A new feature for Android 6? Marshmallow?

They are still giving Marshmallow updates when 7 (Nougat) and 8 (Oreo) are out?

Starting with 6, some of Android services were unlinked from the OS version so they could be updated without updating the OS.

I still consider Bluetooth headsets to be useless gimmicky trinkets that add complexity and cost and reduce sound quality in the name of some ridiculous perceived convenience of being wire free...

So they removed the headphone plug to coerce us into spending more on useless wireless headsets, and now they are adding this "fast pair" functionality to coerce people to buy the same junk yet again.

They must really take us for fools.

Wired for life!

Back