Google Will Launch Two Flagship Smartwatches Early Next Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Are smartwatches still interesting to any of you? Google hopes so, as they are releasing “flagship” models next year. I still don’t get the obsession with making smartwatches look like traditional watches; they’re supposed to look dorky.

The new models will not have Google or Pixel branding, but will be branded by the company that is manufacturing them. Chang says that Google collaborated with the manufacturer — which he wouldn’t name, but said has produced Android Wear devices in the past — on the hardware design and software integration for the watches. He likened the partnership to Google’s Nexus smartphone program in terms of collaboration and goals.

I've spent time with probably every smart watch that's been on the market. I've yet to find one I thought was awesome and became a must-have item. Apple has probably had the best experience so far, but even so, I don't want to buy one. It's just another damn device to charge and distracts me throughout the day. I guess good luck to Google.
I think the "health" aspect of smart watches is the most promising. Besides tracking heart rate, we are starting to see bands that can help with EKG readings. Not sure if it's possible, but would be great to be able to check your blood pressure a few times a day as well.

This will flop, just like every other smartwatch out there.

People with money buy a Rolex, not an Apple watch.

Why are they doing this?

Haven't we pretty muchestablished that smart watches are a failed concept at this point?

Having owned a smart watch (Apple), I can say that it's actually really useful day to day life. Depending on what face and options you use. I use a modular face that shows Date, Time, Reminders (Because I'm forgetful.), Temperature (Is it rainy/cold/thundering/...), Battery, Time Stop. While it may not scream "Lux", I have the sports version. It's useful in so many ways that I couldn't live without mine. I can make phone calls with it without having to pickup my phone. When you have a child that's really useful. Not to mention a locator beacon for your phone so when it's been moved by said child - you can find it. If this worked for my keys, I'd be golden.

I've tried other watches and they provide similar benefits, but I think if you're a busy professional and trying to balance everything at once. It's definitely worth the investment.

I've noticed some people with Apple watches, and the display is always blank when not using it. Does it nor normally display the time all the time, or is that an option?

Since the pebble uses that e-ink display, it's not nice graphically, but it's always displaying. Which I think a watch should do.

It appear when you pickup your wrist, then goes blank when your arm is down. It's pretty good in detecting whether I was doing things and not caring about the watch. I can't say that i've been really annoyed with it not being on - because i'm not looking at it. :p

I thought smartwatches were gimmicky but I got used to the added convenience of the Pebble. I'm sad they went bankrupt as a the 5-7 days between charges is about as much as I can tolerate for a watch.

I thought smartwatches were gimmicky but I got used to the added convenience of the Pebble. I'm sad they went bankrupt as a the 5-7 days between charges is about as much as I can tolerate for a watch.

Yeah the recharging wasn't really an issue for me though. I just plop is down next to my phone at night. Charger's there. I can get 2 days from one charge if I forget. I thought it would be a larger problem than it is.

I've tried using those fitbits but I don't like to have rings or wrist things while I sleep so it never bothers me.

I had the Moto 1 , was cool for about 13 months then battery went. I replaced it with a Mio Fuse, love that, still use it for HR. I then got a Samsung Gear 2, and that does some cool things with HR and some Smart feature. If the Google watches can measure HR as good and the mio fuse, I will get one. That is the coolest feature for a wrist device.

Damn I just got a Moto 360 2nd gen too. If I'd know google was making one I would have waited so it can match my Pixel.

This will flop, just like every other smartwatch out there.

People with money buy a Rolex, not an Apple watch.

This right here.

I have no clue why google is doing this, the "Smartwatch" fad is very clearly dead at this point. They aren't watches, they are glorified wrist gadgets that have limited functionality and shitty battery life. If I want something on the cheap I'll buy something like a Roven Dino, if I want to go more expensive I'll swing Tag, Movado etc. The chances of me ever spending more than $100 for a "smart watch" which is basically nothing more than a tiny second screen for my phone are essentially Zero. People spending $300+ for that are absolute suckers.

Back