Google Self-Driving Car Teams With Chrysler

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has teamed up with Chrysler to make one hundred autonomous 2017 Pacifica hybrid minivans to use in its test cities like around the country. The minivans should be on the road by the end of the year. While the Pacifica may not be the sexiest car on the planet, it beats the hell out of that ugly egg-looking thing Google currently uses.

In the coming months, our team will collaborate closely with FCA engineers. This experience will help both teams better understand how to create a fully self-driving car that can take you from A to B with the touch of a button. Collaborations like these are an important part of realizing the potential of self-driving technology to improve road safety and make transportation more accessible for millions of people.

At least with a minivan they can do two things better.
1. Carry more engineers to monitor the vehicle for when things go wrong.
2. Protect passengers better when they inevitably do go wrong.

Also, it's about time they stepped up to a larger vehicle. The physics of a larger vehicle are a hell of a lot different than those tiny golf carts they were using before. Without further testing they won't find deficiencies in their self driving hardware and software.

Gives new meaning to Lee A. Iacocca's famous phrase "In the car business, you lead, follow, or get out of the way."

Gives new meaning to Lee A. Iacocca's famous phrase "In the car business, you lead, follow, or get out of the way."
My first thought was 'they're late to the party [in terms of forming a partnership with an autocompany], so they got stuck with Chrysler'.

from bluesnews.com post
Makes sense to start with something nobody wants to drive.​

Google should plan routes so they go by as many auto repair shops as possible on the way to your destination, that way when your Chrysler piece of crap breaks down at least you don't need to tow it far.

So are they also going to build self driving tow trucks to take these minivans back to the shop?

I predict this partnership will quietly be dropped due to the cars spending too much time in the shop.

Sorry, no one drives my Hemi but me but ... I'm a Mopar head and this is still cool news.

Back