Google Reportedly Launching Huawei-Made 7″ Android Tablet

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Nexus 7, the last of which was released what feels like eons ago (2013), may finally be getting a successor. Huawei is charged with production instead of Asus this time around, but it is hard to say whether it will keep the Nexus name. I think the Pixel 7 would sound fine—and I do hope they finally use an OLED screen.

According to Evan Blass on Twitter, Google is working with Huawei to launch a new 7-inch tablet later this year. Will it be a Nexus? A Pixel? We don’t quite know yet. A single specification was provided by Blass, reporting that the device will feature 4GB of RAM. There’s no word yet on processor, LTE capability, or anything else. The last Android tablet Google launched was the Pixel C, a very nice, yet very boring device. As for the last Nexus tablet, that was the Nexus 9, being yet another mediocre Android tablet experience. Given that this new tablet may feature a 7″ display, it seems reasonable to assume Google would utilize the popular Nexus 7 name to market this product. However, with all of the Pixel vs. Nexus public branding confusion going on, it’s hard to say what Google might call it.

good that they are releasing a new one. but arnt huawei considered dodgy in some countries like australia etc? for links with the chinese gov?

Shit, I didn't even realize that Nexus tablets were gone until I was casually browsing through Google's hardware selection yesterday. "What's a Pixel?" could be heard in my brain.

I loved both my Nexus 7's until the day I started riding the "phablet" train with the Nexus 6. The only way I'd buy another tablet is if for some reason I decided to go back to a smaller phone.

I still use my 2013 Nexus 7.

Even today it does a good job, and doesnt feel slow or outdated, which is surprising because mobile tech usually becomes obsolete very fast.

I don't think I'm buying another though. It turns out I really just don't have any use for a tablet. All I use it for these days is Waze in my car for navigation.

I still use my 2013 Nexus 7.

Even today it does a good job, and doesnt feel slow or outdated, which is surprising because mobile tech usually becomes obsolete very fast.

I don't think I'm buying another though. It turns out I really just don't have any use for a tablet. All I use it for these days is Waze in my car for navigation.

Maybe you should sell it in the forums .....if you don't need it. I'm sure you could find a buyer. Just sayin.

Shit, I didn't even realize that Nexus tablets were gone until I was casually browsing through Google's hardware selection yesterday. "What's a Pixel?" could be heard in my brain.

I loved both my Nexus 7's until the day I started riding the "phablet" train with the Nexus 6. The only way I'd buy another tablet is if for some reason I decided to go back to a smaller phone.

I can't do the Pixel either. I've looked at web reviews, video reviews, etc.....Nothing can convince me. I'm with you about the phablet. The only reason I have to get anything larger would be for ebooks or streaming movies. Both of which I really don't do.

Maybe you should sell it in the forums .....if you don't need it. I'm sure you could find a buyer. Just sayin.

I would, but I probably wouldn't get very much for it even if it were in perfect shape.

It took a tumble a year or so ago and the plastic cover is a bit messed up. Functionally it is still perfect though.

Besides. I kind of like it for waze use though. The large screen means I never have to look particularly closely or take my eyes off the road for more than a split second. Everything is immediately apparent, exactly as you want it for a GPS.

While I don't feel I need a tablet, if it were to die, I'm not sure what I would replace it with for my navigation needs. It's not worth buying another tablet for, but I would miss it.

I gave my Nexus 7 2013 32GB to my little nephew for school. That tablet still works great and looks nearly new. Not interested in another one, though. My Tab S2 is perfect for streaming content and reading e-books. Don't need a tablet for anything else.

I can't do the Pixel either. I've looked at web reviews, video reviews, etc.....Nothing can convince me. I'm with you about the phablet. The only reason I have to get anything larger would be for ebooks or streaming movies. Both of which I really don't do.
I do ebooks on the Nexus 6 and it works great. I've also watched many episodes of TV on it while lying in bed. While an extra inch would be nice for both purposes, I don't find it to be the difference between enjoyable and not, nor between useful and not; the extra screen between the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 6 on the other hand did make a difference to me...everyone's mileage will vary of course. Besides, I've still got a Kindle Fire HD that was dirt cheap if I really want a bigger screen. Ebooks and streaming just don't require the latest and greatest hardware (or software, for that matter). :)

good that they are releasing a new one. but arnt huawei considered dodgy in some countries like australia etc? for links with the chinese gov?

They've been kicked out of several contracts in the US based on what I had read. I have no interest in their products myself, and wish Google would work with someone else for these devices.

They've been kicked out of several contracts in the US based on what I had read. I have no interest in their products myself, and wish Google would work with someone else for these devices.

Ditto.

When I first heard that LG declined working with Google on the next gen Nexus phones I was fearing Google was going to Huawei for both of them, and I'd be forced to skip this generation.

Even thought he ROM is controlled by Google, I'm not ready to buy hardware designed and manufactured by a company that is wholly owned by the repressive authoritarian Chinese government, both out of principle and because you never know what they might have built into the hardware.

I hope it launches soon since my 2012 Nexus 7 needs replacement.
LOL. I've got one of those too. It is stock right now but I want to see if putting a mod on it would make a difference. Have you tried cyanogenmod or anything else on yours? It made a difference back in the day, but I'm not sure if it is even worthwhile. Just checking before I try doing it again to mine.

LOL. I've got one of those too. It is stock right now but I want to see if putting a mod on it would make a difference. Have you tried cyanogenmod or anything else on yours? It made a difference back in the day, but I'm not sure if it is even worthwhile. Just checking before I try doing it again to mine.

I've usually found that while Cyanogenmod is a great way to improve Samsung/LG/HTC bloatware type phones, Nexus devices gain very little from it. I just keep the stock ROM's on my Nexus devices and instead enjoy the monthly OTA security updates.

Back