Google Quietly Brings Forgetting To The U.S.

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is kinda scary to see how much information is retained by Google when it comes to what you search for, what sites you visit and what videos you watch. Read this article and follow the link to sign in to your Google account. The term "eye-opening" is an understatement.

If you are worried about your online privacy, it might be of interest to you that Google has quietly brought its Google forget program to the U.S. It has made it quite simple, for the most part. Simply go to myactivity.google.com to see the history of your searches, YouTube viewing and everything else you do on Google platforms, and then be guided through the process of trimming that history.

I saw stuff that i searched for like 6 years ago, man was i into some dumb stuff. Thank god i can delete it now, or at least delete where i cant see it. Im sure my activity is truly never deleted.

how can we be sure it's really deleted? unless we make a law to mandate the deletion, they will probably just hide it somewhere in their basement servers

A review of my history confirms that I could - surprisingly - probably still run for president :p

Well, in these times of Trump this means a hell of a lot less than it used to :p

The options to hide your activity have existed for a little while now, actually. I don't remember where the options were in the google profile settings but all of my searches, histories, and the like were already unavailable.

No activity. :)

People should just spend some time in the settings menus.

Google's work is based on providing information to people, not the opposite; if you don't want your stuff on the net, then (1) protect it and (2) don't put it there in the first place.

If you go outside naked, people will see you. If you put nude pictures of yourself on the net, people will see them. The Internet is simply not completely secure and thus should be considered a public space. That we sit in our living rooms alone is just an illusion of private personal space. Devices need to be locked down and treated in a hierarchy of trust, offline storage being the only one - short of someone breaking into your home - that has the type of security we want.

Take responsibility for your actions. Crying to Google is naive and reactive. Not having anything to cry to them about is being a responsible adult.

I knew google was harvesting my shit.

Those fuckers even have all my passwords stored somewhere.

Fortunately I don't sign in to google when I'm doing illegal shit

Only you can see this data. Google protects your privacy and security

Really? even from the Feds?

No activity. :)

People should just spend some time in the settings menus.
I've looked at this before.... but this is clearly incorrect. I mean, m history is keeping rack of my YouTube watching, why is i not showing here?

Well went and turned stuff off. I don't store passwords and crap anywhere, but I don't feel like maintaining any kind of search history anywhere. I don't do it on my own computer. Shit deletes after a day.

I don't think Google understands the concept that Once you upload something to the internet, you can't delete it, right. If something wants to find out about your sex scandal with teddy bears, they'll find out.

In an age where "journalism" is reposting content from social media and sometimes doing a google search; google deleting history of something/someone is as effective as removing it entirely. Hell, even the stuff not deleted and easily searched isn't looked up by most people, they'd rather be spoon fed it (or lied to).

Only google service I use on my PC is youtube and gmail so not much is listed anyway but I have a tablet and it is showing a lot of info. One strange thing is my GPS location history shows a few places I have been to with my tablet that I have never been to. Why would that be?

I know I can turn off location service on the tablet but then they won't be able to find me if I go "missing".

Back