Google Pixel Phones Leaked By Canadian Carrier

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
These seem to be actual promotional images provided through Google. The extra bezel on the XL (black) seems pretty awkward. I may have to spring for the smaller variant, assuming it has an OLED screen.

In the lead up to the October 4 announcement, it seems someone at Canadian operator Bell has pulled the trigger a little early on Google Pixel promotional materials. First spotted by Steve Hemmerstoffer, the carrier seems to have mistakenly put a Pixel render and promotional blurb up on its Galaxy Note 7 business order page. …Bell's not revealing too much, but that Pixel name seems all but confirmed at this point.

Who cares about the overpriced underwhelming Pixel, I want the damn LG v20 in the USA already.

I don't know what everyone is talking about when they talk about the large bezels. I'm comparing it to my Nexus 5x to these renders and the bezels pretty much seem the same.

Also, I will never buy any Phablet anyway. Even with my unusually large hands they are too large to be properly usable. IMHO.

Who cares about the overpriced underwhelming Pixel, I want the damn LG v20 in the USA already.

Personally I have completely written off any OEM phone. Either it's Nexus (or I guess Pixel, going forward) or it's nothing at all. I won't buy a phone that doesnt get frequent software updates and security patches. Can't trust the OEM's They alter the android framework and ruin everything. Until they stop doing this, there will be no Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, etc. phones for me.

Personally I have completely written off any OEM phone. Either it's Nexus (or I guess Pixel, going forward) or it's nothing at all. I won't buy a phone that doesnt get frequent software updates and security patches. Can't trust the OEM's They alter the android framework and ruin everything. Until they stop doing this, there will be no Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, etc. phones for me.

As opposed to say Shamu that is 18 months old and already abandoned? At this point there's minimal advantage to getting aa Google phone or OEM phone since Google decided to be pricks about severing updates arbitrarily.

Further Pixel is looking incredibly overpriced and feature-lacking for a phone that is, like a Samsung, going to be abandoned in 18-24 months anyway. Presuming it even has an unlockable bootloader or is rootable.

As opposed to say Shamu that is 18 months old and already abandoned? At this point there's minimal advantage to getting aa Google phone or OEM phone since Google decided to be pricks about severing updates arbitrarily.

I'm disappointed with the length of Google support as well, especially since these are Vanilla andoid devices, updating the software should be rather easy, and not require a massive software job like it does once the OEM's alter the underlying android framework.

That being said, who uses their phone for more than two years anyway? If you have to use an older version of Android for the last 6 months of its use, it's not a big deal, especially since they guarantee OTA security updates for 3 years from launch or 18 months from sale in the Google store, whichever is longer. The security updates are what really matter.

It's stil better than with the other OEM's. Within the active support timeframe you get new Android versions almost instantly, none of that waiting for several months bs like with Samsung/LG/HTC and even Motorola, though they tend to be a little better. And they don't tend to support their phones for very long either. You also get those all important monthly security updates...

Further Pixel is looking incredibly overpriced and feature-lacking for a phone that is, like a Samsung, going to be abandoned in 18-24 months anyway. Presuming it even has an unlockable bootloader or is rootable.

All we have right now is rumor on the pricing. We will see on October 4th. I never trust pre-release rumors anymore.

What features do you think are lacking from the rumors though? The only thing I can see is the rather weak IP53 rating compared to the competition. Everything else I want is there. I absolutely hate the inefficient garbage that is wireless charging, so I'd actually prefer it if they don't add extra bulk to the phone by building it in. Let people add case adapters if they want that crap so much. I'd also prefer if the camera were lower resolution. I know, you can change the effective resolution it in the app, but there is absolutely no need for a 12mp camera in a phone. The tiny phone optics can not support that sort of resolution anyway. It's just marketing bs. No need for anything above 4MP or so. Also screen resolution. 1080p is more than enough at 5". Higher resolution just wastes battery, both on the screen and the GPU.

That, and both of the phones are rumored to be launching with the Snap[dragon 821 chips, which no other phone has yet, and reportedly are the fastest parts for Android phones available to date and 4GB of RAM, which is higher than any other phone I've had...

I'd say they features/specs are more than good enough in most regards, and spectacular in others

Now I'm not crazy about the new custom Pixel launcher or round icons, but that's nothing a 3rd party launcher and icon pack can't take care of. (I absolutely hate the google primary colors on white background color scheme too)

I'm disappointed with the length of Google support as well, especially since these are Vanilla andoid devices, updating the software should be rather easy, and not require a massive software job like it does once the OEM's alter the underlying android framework.

That being said, who uses their phone for more than two years anyway? If you have to use an older version of Android for the last 6 months of its use, it's not a big deal, especially since they guarantee OTA security updates for 3 years from launch or 18 months from sale in the Google store, whichever is longer. The security updates are what really matter.

It's stil better than with the other OEM's. Within the active support timeframe you get new Android versions almost instantly, none of that waiting for several months bs like with Samsung/LG/HTC and even Motorola, though they tend to be a little better. And they don't tend to support their phones for very long either. You also get those all important monthly security updates...

All we have right now is rumor on the pricing. We will see on October 4th. I never trust pre-release rumors anymore.

What features do you think are lacking from the rumors though? The only thing I can see is the rather weak IP53 rating compared to the competition. Everything else I want is there. I absolutely hate the inefficient garbage that is wireless charging, so I'd actually prefer it if they don't add extra bulk to the phone by building it in. Let people add case adapters if they want that crap so much. I'd also prefer if the camera were lower resolution. I know, you can change the effective resolution it in the app, but there is absolutely no need for a 12mp camera in a phone. The tiny phone optics can not support that sort of resolution anyway. It's just marketing bs. No need for anything above 4MP or so. Also screen resolution. 1080p is more than enough at 5". Higher resolution just wastes battery, both on the screen and the GPU.

That, and both of the phones are rumored to be launching with the Snap[dragon 821 chips, which no other phone has yet, and reportedly are the fastest parts for Android phones available to date and 4GB of RAM, which is higher than any other phone I've had...

I'd say they features/specs are more than good enough in most regards, and spectacular in others

Now I'm not crazy about the new custom Pixel launcher or round icons, but that's nothing a 3rd party launcher and icon pack can't take care of. (I absolutely hate the google primary colors on white background color scheme too)

1) Water resistance? As you mentioned
2) How about better audio playback and recording hardware (DACs and stereo front-facing speakers) like the ZTE Axon7 or the LG v20 or the HTC10 ? All of which BTW are cheaper than the Pixel (or probably are).
3) Google Nexus phones have never impressed much on the camera front (image performance, not just raw MP). Never.
4) Google Nexus phones tend to never impress on battery endurance either. Universal Nexus complaint.
5*) dual SIM or microSD card....yea the Axon7 has both and the v20 has both....and ofc both cheaper than Pixel allegedly
6*) Removable battery

*given as these are becoming fringe wants as opposed to the prior wants.

Google is using an outright abysmally lazy repurposed industrial design from a bad-selling OEM's phoneline on the outside....and the only consolation is (hopefully) the SoC inside. And let us hope the Snapdragon 821 doesn't have the overheating teething problems the 810 had. The ONLY thing Pixel has going for it is timely monthly updates. That is literally it. Does that justify a $650USD 32GB base-model pricetag for even then smaller 1080 non-XL-Pixel (as rumored)? No. Fing. Way.

Google is huffing paint fumes if they think they can just pull this crap and charge unlocked $700USD pricing on a feature-lacking phone bested by OEMs.

I don't know what everyone is talking about when they talk about the large bezels. I'm comparing it to my Nexus 5x to these renders and the bezels pretty much seem the same.

Are bezels passe now? I thought bezels helped protect fragile stuff like glass. Or allow displays to be easily replaced because they aren't integrated into the chassis itself. Looking at the estimates for screen replacements for Samsung Edge phones, it looks pretty pricey compared to a boring old iPhone.

Are bezels passe now? I thought bezels helped protect fragile stuff like glass. Or allow displays to be easily replaced because they aren't integrated into the chassis itself. Looking at the estimates for screen replacements for Samsung Edge phones, it looks pretty pricey compared to a boring old iPhone.

All phones these days tend to have edge-to-edge glass....further the glass tends to be semi-permanently bonded to the digitizer unit itself. Which is why "glass replacements" are so expensive. You cannot just replace the glass, you need a new digitizer/display too.

All phones these days tend to have edge-to-edge glass....further the glass tends to be semi-permanently bonded to the digitizer unit itself. Which is why "glass replacements" are so expensive. You cannot just replace the glass, you need a new digitizer/display too.

But a bezel allows you to have a "lip" to protect the screen itself. It then allows something for a case to latch on to securely without blocking any part of the useable screen.

I can understand not wanting a bezel on say a TV or a monitor, but I see a bezel as being a very useful design feature on something that comes in contact with other surfaces on a regular basis.

I just don't think it's worth the tradeoff to have an exposed edge like that.....but I may be a grumpy <somewhat> old man.

pol_pl_Mietowe-Etui-Glossy-Gel-Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge-101569_3.jpg

But a bezel allows you to have a "lip" to protect the screen itself. It then allows something for a case to latch on to securely without blocking any part of the useable screen.

I can understand not wanting a bezel on say a TV or a monitor, but I see a bezel as being a very useful design feature on something that comes in contact with other surfaces on a regular basis.

I just don't think it's worth the tradeoff to have an exposed edge like that.....but I may be a grumpy <somewhat> old man.

pol_pl_Mietowe-Etui-Glossy-Gel-Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge-101569_3.jpg

When people gripe about the Pixel bezels though...they are annoyed over the "eyebrow" and "lip" at the top and bottom of the phone. Which for that Samsung you pictured serve a purpose. There's bundles of hardware there (camera sensors up top, and buttons on bottom). In the HTC-repurposed Pixel design though, as far as we know, the bottom lip has nothing there sans microphone (originally it was a hardware button/sensor IIRC). The eyebrow is overlarge for what is there. They don't serve to protect the screen either, since the glass goes all the way to the edge.

When people gripe about the Pixel bezels though...they are annoyed over the "eyebrow" and "lip" at the top and bottom of the phone.

Jeez, I didn't even notice that. I gotcha now. That does look kinda goofy once it's pointed out.

Ya and that's pretty sad, have you seen the lg g2 from 3 years ago? Mobile Phone Size Comparison

Yeah, the G2 was a nice phone. I had one a whole back when they were new, but got rid of it when the CyanogenMod dev for it quit. There was no way I was going back to stock on it. Damned good hardware, same old modified crap software as the big OEM's always use though

I forgot how much shorter the top and bottom bezels were on it.

I went from the G2 to a first Droid Turbo (I bought into the hype about Motorola's fast software updates, which of course wasn't the case) and then got a 5x.

I don't see myself having a non-Nexus/Pixel phone in the foreseeable future unless something significant changes.

Number one issue for me is frequent software security patches, at the expense of pretty much everything else. IMHO even Google's own monthly patches are not enough, but it is the best we currently have.

Does that justify a $650USD 32GB base-model pricetag for even then smaller 1080 non-XL-Pixel (as rumored)?

lol wut??? They can f'ing stick it.

Guess I'll get the Axon7 then.

There's a rumor that Google is going to try to sell an $800 Android laptop also. lol. Such comedians.

I only see one speaker. NO SALE.

When will they listen.

All that sound hardware, and no dual front stereo speakers. Cheap bastards'

On the other hand... If the audio out the 3.5mm is as good as the DACs want to advertise, I could live without dual front speakers. I'd miss them, but it would be a nice consolation

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I only see one speaker. NO SALE.

When will they listen.

I don't understand the desire for multiple speakers.

How does that make a difference?

The way I see it, a single speaker is good enough for putting voice calls or playing a stupid little youtube video, but if I want to listen to music, or a movie or something like that, no speaker that can ever fit inside a cellphone, be it dual or single is ever going to be enough. I'm connecting it to (wired 3.5mm jack) headphones or speakers.

Putting an extra speaker in there just drives up cost, complexity, bulk and battery use and still is going to sound like a shitty internal cellphone speaker. There is no point.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
1) Water resistance? As you mentioned
2) How about better audio playback and recording hardware (DACs and stereo front-facing speakers) like the ZTE Axon7 or the LG v20 or the HTC10 ? All of which BTW are cheaper than the Pixel (or probably are).
3) Google Nexus phones have never impressed much on the camera front (image performance, not just raw MP). Never.
4) Google Nexus phones tend to never impress on battery endurance either. Universal Nexus complaint.
5*) dual SIM or microSD card....yea the Axon7 has both and the v20 has both....and ofc both cheaper than Pixel allegedly
6*) Removable battery

*given as these are becoming fringe wants as opposed to the prior wants.

Google is using an outright abysmally lazy repurposed industrial design from a bad-selling OEM's phoneline on the outside....and the only consolation is (hopefully) the SoC inside. And let us hope the Snapdragon 821 doesn't have the overheating teething problems the 810 had. The ONLY thing Pixel has going for it is timely monthly updates. That is literally it. Does that justify a $650USD 32GB base-model pricetag for even then smaller 1080 non-XL-Pixel (as rumored)? No. Fing. Way.

Google is huffing paint fumes if they think they can just pull this crap and charge unlocked $700USD pricing on a feature-lacking phone bested by OEMs.

With Nexus phones you have never had the best top end hardware. It's all been about the best Android experience because the software isn't butchered like with the other OEM's.

I'd argue that is well worth the premium, even if it means it is the most expensive phone on the market (which it isn't).

Of current gen phones, I would probably have bought my Nexus 5x, even if it cost that much, because quite frankly, nothing but a Nexus will do.

When the others start shipping unmodified Android with frequent updates, I'll consider them too, but to me the real joke is a Samsung/LG/HTC/Motorola device at that price.

As I see it I won't consider any phone regardless of the specs and features as long as it runs on a modified Android framework and doesbt get regular security updates. Those are the bare minimums.

I wouldn't pay $10 for anything in Samsung's lineup.

As opposed to say Shamu that is 18 months old and already abandoned?
What are you talking about? The Nexus 6 hasn't been abandoned. Mine has continued to get security updates and Nougat is coming soon. Did you think that because the Nexus 6 wasn't in the first phase of the Nougat OTA rollout that it isn't going to get it?

Also, the Nexus 6 is now over 23 months old, not 18; your mistake isn't even close to an acceptable margin of error.

Finally, you can install Nougat on your Nexus 6 anytime you want. There is an official Android 7.0 version for Nexus 6 available for download. If you can't wait for the OTA update, you can head to this link and follow the provided instructions to get Nougafied.

ETA: FWIW, I'm not installing 7.0 yet because I suspect the delay is due to Nougat issues that they're working on fixing. I think there's going to be a 7.0.1 release here pretty quick.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? The Nexus 6 hasn't been abandoned. Mine has continued to get security updates and Nougat is coming soon. Did you think that because the Nexus 6 wasn't in the first phase of the Nougat OTA rollout that it isn't going to get it?

Also, the Nexus 6 is now over 23 months old, not 18; your mistake isn't even close to an acceptable margin of error.

Finally, you can install Nougat on your Nexus 6 anytime you want. There is an official Android 7.0 version for Nexus 6 available for download. If you can't wait for the OTA update, you can head to this link and follow the provided instructions to get Nougafied.

ETA: FWIW, I'm not installing 7.0 yet because I suspect the delay is due to Nougat issues that they're working on fixing. I think there's going to be a 7.0.1 release here pretty quick.

There is no "official" Nougat 7.0 for Shamu. Only a very outdated DP5 beta from the summer. Shamu specifically in AOSP NEEDS new radio blobs for Nougat for certain carriers. AOSP compiled from source overwhelmingly doesn't even have LTE on Sprint or Verizon under Nougat (there's only one ROM that does-and no one yet seems to know why/how). There's also odd SMS/MMS routing issues. That radio issue, we suspect might be part of the reason for Shamu being so greatly delayed.

That update is "Coming soon" in the sense Nougat was out for other devices for over a month....and there is no sign of if or when Nougat might come. Last word was "in the coming weeks"..... Shamu is already past the new Google guaranteed-updates then you're abandoned period. At best, Shamu is most likely getting one more update-then it is done. At worst, Google opn Tuesday is going to tell us to give up and go buy a damn Pixel.

I want that 5" inch Pixel. The 6p is too big to carry around. However the $649 price is not attractive at all and I don't see myself paying that much...

I just want a normal sized phone with vanilla android and a shitload of internal memory. I don't care who the hell it's from.

I say this too. That is my wife's phone, and its always been updated, running continously since forever, I am surprised the thing is not dead 6 months ago with the use it gets.
Even if its not upgraded to latest android, Google support for the phone has been terrific.
Shit I even contacted service once for it, excellent service.

There is no "official" Nougat 7.0 for Shamu. Only a very outdated DP5 beta from the summer. Shamu specifically in AOSP NEEDS new radio blobs for Nougat for certain carriers. AOSP compiled from source overwhelmingly doesn't even have LTE on Sprint or Verizon under Nougat (there's only one ROM that does-and no one yet seems to know why/how). There's also odd SMS/MMS routing issues. That radio issue, we suspect might be part of the reason for Shamu being so greatly delayed.

That update is "Coming soon" in the sense Nougat was out for other devices for over a month....and there is no sign of if or when Nougat might come. Last word was "in the coming weeks"..... Shamu is already past the new Google guaranteed-updates then you're abandoned period. At best, Shamu is most likely getting one more update-then it is done. At worst, Google opn Tuesday is going to tell us to give up and go buy a damn Pixel.
Okay, I was wrong on the now available part (I was trusting the article I was reading). This still doesn't justify declaring the phone "abandoned" given that Google has said that it is coming. It isn't abandoned until Google says it's abandoned. Your pessimism seems unjustified and petulant.

As for the update schedule, 2 years is the minimum that Google has promised platform updates; it's not a set-in-stone cutoff. The Nexus 5 received Marshmallow in 2015 despite being released in 2012. Since Nougat has been released within the Nexus 6 2-year window, the assumption should be that the Nexus 6 will be receiving it. If it's taking extra time, it's taking extra time. Shit happens.

I really like my Nexus 6 that I bought for peanuts a couple of months ago. However, it's going to be my last smartphone from Google.

Okay, I was wrong on the now available part (I was trusting the article I was reading). This still doesn't justify declaring the phone "abandoned" given that Google has said that it is coming. It isn't abandoned until Google says it's abandoned. Your pessimism seems unjustified and petulant.

As for the update schedule, 2 years is the minimum that Google has promised platform updates; it's not a set-in-stone cutoff. The Nexus 5 received Marshmallow in 2015 despite being released in 2012. Since Nougat has been released within the Nexus 6 2-year window, the assumption should be that the Nexus 6 will be receiving it. If it's taking extra time, it's taking extra time. Shit happens.

Hammerhead was cut off at the next update following the 2-year-drop-plan being announced. Google seems very serious about it being a hard serious cutoff to me. They might not call it-but that is what the signs point to.

We should also note that this is Google we are talking about. The company that throws together projects and kills them at random even when they are still in use....they of all people don't earn any trust when it comes to supporting code-especially when they say they aren't. Shamu actually was never intended to be a Nexus at all-it was originally the premier Android Silver device....then at the relative last second it was made a Nexus when OEMs thought Android Silver was stupid.

I don't understand the desire for multiple speakers.

How does that make a difference?

The way I see it, a single speaker is good enough for putting voice calls or playing a stupid little youtube video, but if I want to listen to music, or a movie or something like that, no speaker that can ever fit inside a cellphone, be it dual or single is ever going to be enough. I'm connecting it to (wired 3.5mm jack) headphones or speakers.

Putting an extra speaker in there just drives up cost, complexity, bulk and battery use and still is going to sound like a shitty internal cellphone speaker. There is no point.

Don't like headphones.

Quit your bitchin'. Official Nougat is ready to rock right now.

Factory Images for Nexus Devices  |  Nexus Files for Developers  |  Google Developers

OTA Images for Nexus Devices  |  Nexus Files for Developers  |  Google Developers

is it anything worth getting in line for?

IMHO, no. Definitely not.

That being said, IMHO, there is nothing in this world worth waiting in line for. Not apple phones, not new GPU's not new gaming consoles and not Black Friday sales.

If there is a line, I'm out :p

I'll pick it up once the rush has dies down. There is no intrinsic value in being the "first" to have anything.

I will say, I don't think it's any LESS worth waiting in line for than a new iPhone though :p

But people who wait in line to be the first to get the new iPhone are idiots.

Back