Google Photos To Give Free Unlimited Original Quality Backup To Nexus Devices

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
There are already a bunch of great reasons to own a Nexus device, and now Google has given you one more. In a future update, Nexus owners will be able to upload as many photos as they want to Google Photos without quality loss.

…the free unlimited 'original quality' storage won't apply to just photos, but video as well. Like photos, the high quality option scales videos down too. The difference is that the cap is set at 1080p. The Nexus 6P and 5X are both capable of shooting 4K video (2160p). Once this new policy is in effect for Nexus devices, full-resolution 4k video will be free to back up. Another thing many people aren't aware of with the 'high quality' setting is photos and video uploaded through that method are processed to further reduce file size, even if they are already at or below 16 MP. The resolution isn't changed, but some extra magic is performed to cut out even more data. The results are very good, usually looking identical to the naked eye, but there's often some small adjustment to colors or clarity that will be lost in the process, and artifacts may become more visible after zooming in.

I have a Nexus 5x and a 2013 Nexus 7. I like them both, and don't know what phone I'd use if they weren't around. To me Nexis devices are the only way to go.

That being said, I use as little of the cloud services I can. The first thing I do when I get a new device is to disable all the cloud backup stuff.

I want to be in control of my data as much as possible. In my book "cloud" is a four letter word.

If any of my devices fill up (which has yet to happen, btw) I'll dump my photos manually to my NAS.

Wonder if this is going to apply to older Nexus phones like the Nexus 4 ?

If it was anything else, I would have liked it, but no, not photos or recorded videos.

Those two things remain the only reason why I never go on the internet with the phone while there are photos inside, I clean them out of my phone regularly.

If it was anything else, I would have liked it, but no, not photos or recorded videos.

Those two things remain the only reason why I never go on the internet with the phone while there are photos inside, I clean them out of my phone regularly.

You must have some pretty sensitive pictures :p

I don't use cloud services out if principle, but if my photos were ever to be compromised there would be nothing to see. A picture of the rabbit I saw in my front yard, a picture of a nutrition label, so I can remember what to log in my fitbit app, a picture of a funny misspelled sign I aw so I an post it online, etc. etc.

What do you guys take pictures and videos of anyway? :p

Last edited:
You must have some pretty sensitive pictures :p

I don't use clue services out if principle, but if my photos were ever to be compromised there would be nothing to see. A picture of the rabbit I saw in my front yard, a picture of a nutrition label, so I can remember what to log in my fitbit app, a picture of a funny misspelled sign I aw so I an post it online, etc. etc.

What do you guys take pictures and videos of anyway? :p

If I say "nothing personal or illegal", would anyone believe me? :p

Just covering bases really, in case me or someone else takes inappropriate pictures, I don't want it leaked onto the local youtube website.

It's a general precaution I developed, the current plan I have on my smartphone doesn't contain a single byte of data, and all internet use are done via Wifi only. I sometimes use my camera to take images of sensitive personal information rather than copying them, and then deleting them after I am done, so the total inability to go on the net would help ensure that isn't leaked.

Back