Google: No Plans To Build Windows Apps

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess Windows 8 and Windows Phone users are getting hosed by Google when it comes to apps. :(

Speaking to V3, Google Apps product management director Clay Bavor said that "we have no plans to build out Windows apps." Bavor had some harsh words about the installed base for Windows on both the PC and on mobile, saying "we are very careful about where we invest and will go where the users are but they are not on Windows Phone or Windows 8."

Is that really that strong of a position though ... aren't most Google products available through the web, which a Windows 8 or mobile system could access through the browser ... it is not like they are taking a total "NO SOUP FOR YOU" approach here ;)

Is that really that strong of a position though ... aren't most Google products available through the web, which a Windows 8 or mobile system could access through the browser ... it is not like they are taking a total "NO SOUP FOR YOU" approach here ;)

I agree for Windows 8, but Windows Mobile... I'm not sure.

Shit, even Apple is willing to put some of there shit on crossplatform status.

Not shocking: Why should Google (or any developer) be forced to support the Metro UI to be featured in the Windows store? So either you need separate .exe files for Win7 and Win8 (which we've NEVER had to do before!), support two totally different UI's within a single .exe, drop support for Win7 (fat chance), or just ignore Win8.

My guess: Developers like me will just ignore Win8.

All this is despite the fact that they just release a metro-ui google search app and metro-ui version of chrome? Maybe he needs to check with his employees before saying that there won't be any Windows apps.

Exactly. If enough devices are out there well of course they'll develop apps, which is what they said when you get past the posturing. They were quick getting a Metro search app out there that's actually pretty nice which makes sense as search is their key moneymaker.

Exactly. If enough devices are out there well of course they'll develop apps, which is what they said when you get past the posturing. They were quick getting a Metro search app out there that's actually pretty nice which makes sense as search is their key moneymaker.

It's funny, though. Google won't bother with Win8 apps for the same reason Windows-based developers won't bother with Linux.

I can understand their lack of desire to produce apps for Windows 8, but not Windows Phone and Windows RT.

I agree, Mechwarrior Online is pretty good. It's not really P2Win either, at least as far as I can tell. The pace of new stuff is pretty good too.

I agree, Mechwarrior Online is pretty good. It's not really P2Win either, at least as far as I can tell. The pace of new stuff is pretty good too.

This was really in the wrong thread, to many damn windows open!

As for the chilly reception of windows 8 by everyone from ACER to Valve, this is just another example of what happens when a company goes insane. I can't believe their stock is sub 20.

To compete with apple on style they need a new image. They aren't "cool" like apple, they're boring but reliable. Well at least they used to be.

After pissing off half the PC user space, and not making a dent in the tablet arent I think its time they cut their losses.

Microsoft is so late to the party, unless they do something radically cool (unlikely) there mobile platform is never going to break into serious marketshare.

all the computers i have seen have start8 installed, even i install it still not looked up how you get to the desktop with out having to use Ctrl alt del and press taskman to get the desktop to show

i used computers all day so i am very clued up but i have never had to look up the internet to do an basic thing like How Do I remove an program on windows 8 (you right click press show all and then look for the very small icon that says program and features)

some times when you install an program as well windows does not switched to desktop where the installer is

i really hate to see how normal users are going to cope with windows 8 without Start8 installed, you got to understand most users to put it bluntly are Stupid when it comes to using windows (hell when they when from XP to vista it was like how do i open the start menu..... this is something taking it to not another level but to Mars and back),

another stupid thing is you cant even use the Mouse to drag the screen left or right you need to use the bar at the bottom or use the keyboard arrows (i think even the mouse wheel does not work to move the screen left or right as you would expect)

i really do not see why they forced the RT onto desktop and laptops where windows 8 is targeted for tablets and mobile phones (at least Apple have got it right here, OSX for desktop and laptop, IOS for iPhone and iPad Both work for there intended market, and under OSX you do not see Apple forcing the apple market to take over the mac)
windows 8 PC does Not work its Quite user unfriendly once you go beyond the built in stuff just doing basic things like Browsing the internet they moved the bar to the bottom of the page and it seems quite user unfriendly

once i install start8 every thing works correctly, forgetting Stupid RT (i mite use it for emails but just switching between stuff is very annoying missing back buttons or they do nothing when pressed), But the Tweeks they have done to windows 8 are nice

Microsoft haven't really innovated anything for a long time, they buy their way into other peoples markets like they did with the Xbox. They rely on old repeat business like their Office suite to keep them afloat.

Apple have created markets, ipod, iphone, ipad, everything works together, you can even say the same for google to an extent. Until Microsoft start innovating who cares what they do? They'll be a third tier option for everything they show up late with a shittier product.

If Google released an OS for PC's that would be killer

Microsoft haven't really innovated anything for a long time, they buy their way into other peoples markets like they did with the Xbox. They rely on old repeat business like their Office suite to keep them afloat.

Apple have created markets, ipod, iphone, ipad, everything works together, you can even say the same for google to an extent. Until Microsoft start innovating who cares what they do? They'll be a third tier option for everything they show up late with a shittier product.

...h8ers gonna h8 apparently so much they don't realize things...

You have got to be fucking kidding me......If that's how you feel why are you at the [H] forums? I might as well go to the Apple sight and start bashing IOS and OSX and praise Microsoft. Overclock your MacPro lately?

Why would windows need any google apps? It's not like Apple...they actually have a working navigation program already.

As much as I'd like to have a Google search app on my Lumia 920 (which I love compared to my iPhone 4), most windows and windows mobile users aren't so lazy that they can't open the browser and go to google.com.

I still use Verizon mail and my work exchange account on it, and never really use my gmail account so i can't say that I miss having a Gmail app. I do understand that it sucks for those who do, though. I don't recall if Gmail works through the MS Mail app on there, maybe it does and negates the need for a Google app.

Google has 22 apps for iOS.

iOS has a shit ton of users, WP8/RT doesn't.

Shit, even Apple is willing to put some of there shit on crossplatform status.

Huh? What WP8/RT or Android apps does Apple make? And Google is very willing to make apps for competing platforms, just not when there's nobody using that platform.

I can understand their lack of desire to produce apps for Windows 8, but not Windows Phone and Windows RT.

Why can't you understand it? Making an app is a non-trivial investment by Google, and if they don't think there are enough users to justify the cost that's a pretty clear cut reason to not do it.

Why can't you understand it? Making an app is a non-trivial investment by Google, and if they don't think there are enough users to justify the cost that's a pretty clear cut reason to not do it.

Windows 8 and its successors will probably be only be around 10 to 20 percent of tablet market in the next 5 years but there's still going to be hundreds of millions of users of Windows 8/RT and its successors in that same time frame across other form factors.

Google is just doing what a competitor is going to do, slight the competition, pretty natural. Google certainly wasn't going to go out and say "Yes, we're fully committed to building Windows 8 apps." It's all going to be driven by the market, one way or the other. I certainly don't think that Google can just ignore Windows 8/RT forever as Microsoft has a lot of competing services to Google tied into Windows 8. Is Google just going to let all of those users by default start tying themselves into Microsoft's services through Metro apps without offering Google alternatives? I highly doubt that.

'Modern' apps run on Windows 8/Windows on ARM/WP8.
Yeah i don't think people realize that microsoft set up windows runtime so that any app written will work on all 3 platforms although granted apps are usually more used on phone and tablet things like netflix app and hulu+ app are pretty useful on any system.

there's still going to be hundreds of millions of users of Windows 8/RT and its successors in that same time frame across other form factors.

That is extremely uncertain at this point and nothing but wishful thinking on your part.

Unless you are including desktop/laptop Windows 8 - but who the fuck wants a Google app on that when the browser works just fine?

'Modern' apps run on Windows 8/Windows on ARM/WP8.

Your statement has nothing to do with what I said - why did you quote me?

That is extremely uncertain at this point and nothing but wishful thinking on your part.

Unless you are including desktop/laptop Windows 8 - but who the fuck wants a Google app on that when the browser works just fine?

Yes, I am counting all Windows 8/RT devices. And why a native app over a web app? Faster, richer and better looking UI, essentially the same reasons why tablet apps are created, the same principles apply to PCs, even desktops. And over time a lot more PCs are going to have touch, not just tablets.

There are no users of Windows Phone because there are no apps for Windows Phone because there are no users of Windows Phone because...

Yes, I am counting all Windows 8/RT devices. And why a native app over a web app? Faster, richer and better looking UI, essentially the same reasons why tablet apps are created, the same principles apply to PCs, even desktops. And over time a lot more PCs are going to have touch, not just tablets.

No thanks. That's one of the biggest reasons Win8 doesn't appeal to me at all. I have no use for tablet apps on my desktop. The reason those apps work on a tablet is it's a different platform and they make sense on that platform. They don't make sense on a desktop. Touch for a desktop PC is not the best way to go. It's terrible ergonomics to reach out on and touch the screen on your typical desktop setup. Maybe if they change things around, but I don't see it as needed myself. I just don't see the need for a touch interface on a desktop PC. I can understand Microsoft's desire to tie it's phone, tablet and desktop OS together to be more unified, but I personally believe touch is for mobile, not a stationary desktop.

makes sense, why would they , I really find the Windows Mobile quite good though, even if you want to hate windows 8 in all its glory, you have to admit, that UI is snazzy for tablet and mobile device, on that front the freaking OS is cool, the one thing that literally downsides that OS is the Apps Store.

As pointed out by a lot of developers out there, MS should loosen up, that overpriced surface is not helping either, want to shake the competition? do what google did, released an awesome tablet for that unbelievable cheap price (nexus 7) partnered by a cheap priced 4" phone (nexus 4), that is how MS should be doing stuff,

The metro ui on desktop? I don't think its an OS breaker, it can easily be fixed by MS, the UI is not for the desktop but the internal workings (kernel, etc) are good. they should have learn though from what people thought about releasing the OS at such awesome prices at the start.

Why would windows need any google apps? It's not like Apple...they actually have a working navigation program already.

LOL. And true. At least on the Nokia phones. I am more than happy with what my Lumia 920 comes with. I don't miss any Google anything. I don't miss anything about my old Android phone. Except maybe the Amazon Android market.

If you understood what it is you're talking about, you wouldn't have asked this.

Right back at you there buddy.

I said "WP8/RT" doesn't have any users compared to iOS. You countered with a completely unrelated statement about "Modern" UI apps running on both WP8/RT/8. A statement that had nothing to do with number of users compared to iOS.

Desktops have plenty of power for web apps to be just as "fast" as native apps given that both really only need to be fast enough to hit 60fps. Richer and better looking are not advantages native apps have - those are both just functions of the design you come up with.

The last thing we need is for desktop/laptop to regress back into "apps" again. The web works exceedingly well there, and things like WebGL bring all the richness you could want.

Back