Google Nexus One Avail. Jan 5

how long are you fine for? plus if you open a new app, android might close the nav app, there goes your cache.

have you ever used it before? Android keeps the navigation going for as long as you'd like, remember, the OS multitasks. I've used it for a total of 8 hours or so of driving so far and it has never let me down.

Regarding the data connection, as long as you don't leave the route while you don't have a data connection, the route is cached. It just sounds to me like you haven't used it before..

He's right. I was coming back to NY from KY after Christmas. It was an 855 mile/14 hour trip and not once did I lose my route and that's with HEAVY multitasking (playing games with at least 8 other apps running). But I also don't think I lost 3G for more than 5 secs the whole trip, literally, Verizons 3G coverage is no joke. I know he's right though because even my old LG Voyager would keep our route info if we didn't have any signal for long periods. My wife was driving most of it while I "navigated" (browsing interwebs while navigating in the background, hah). The navigator even gave turn by turn directions WHILE I was using my internet browser or any other apps. Also, it keeps you posted on how far your next turn is in the status bar so you don't even have to actually look at the nav app too see. With Google Maps, layers, and a satellite receiver in my Droid, I don't think I'll be using any standalone GPS.. ever.

Last edited:
He's right. I was coming back to NY from KY after Christmas. It was an 855 mile/14 hour trip and not once did I lose my route and that's with HEAVY multitasking (playing games with at least 8 other apps running). But I also don't think I lost 3G for more than 5 secs the whole trip, literally, Verizons 3G coverage is no joke. I know he's right though because even my old LG Voyager would keep our route info if we didn't have any signal for long periods. My wife was driving most of it while I "navigated" (browsing interwebs while navigating in the background, hah). The navigator even gave turn by turn directions WHILE I was using my internet browser or any other apps. Also, it keeps you posted on how far your next turn is in the status bar so you don't even have to actually look at the nav app too see. With Google Maps, layers, and a satellite receiver in my Droid, I don't think I'll be using any standalone GPS.. ever.

Yep, it's an awesome service -- I also adore that you can overlay real-time traffic information, easily select alternative routes based on that info, always have the latest map information, and can see street-view pictures of the route with an overlay of your turn on the picture itself. and good god, it's free too.

The benefits of multi-tasking in android are also pretty obvious when you're navigating; being able to check email, browse the web, play games, take calls, etc. while still navigating to your destination is fantastic.

Im an android developer so feel free to shoot any interesting questions about the OS.

I had the MyTouch and my biggest complaint was the e-mail, I ditched the phone went back to Black Berry 9700Bold.. I didn't like the idea of almost being forced to set up an G-Mail account, I have been using my @comcast.net account for 10years.

I know there were 3rd party apps like K9 and others that allowed access to non G-mail accounts, but they all semed flaky and buggy, and just overall bad.

I would buy the Nexus-1 today if my @comcast.net e-mail came up as solid and good as it does on my BlackBerry or did on my iPhone.

are there folders for bookmarks, or is it one big list of bookmarks?

I had the MyTouch and my biggest complaint was the e-mail, I ditched the phone went back to Black Berry 9700Bold.. I didn't like the idea of almost being forced to set up an G-Mail account, I have been using my @comcast.net account for 10years.

I know there were 3rd party apps like K9 and others that allowed access to non G-mail accounts, but they all semed flaky and buggy, and just overall bad.

I would buy the Nexus-1 today if my @comcast.net e-mail came up as solid and good as it does on my BlackBerry or did on my iPhone.

Android has an "Email" client that works pretty good for pushing anything other than Gmail. I have used it with Yahoo accounts as well as work accounts. Have you tried that? Pretty sure its been around since the G1 but maybe its better on the newer versions of the OS

any one else using a one without a sim card, and not seeing any paid apps in the market? I was under the impression that apps were charged using google check out like on the droid

You can also set up GMail to pull in any other email accounts as labels. in fact, you can even set it to reply as that email and not the gmail account. I have My main GMail account set to pull in my work email, a verizon address, and a few hotmails.

Is it possible to transfer 200+ contacts directly from my WinMo 6.5 Omnia to an Andriod?

You can also set up GMail to pull in any other email accounts as labels. in fact, you can even set it to reply as that email and not the gmail account. I have My main GMail account set to pull in my work email, a verizon address, and a few hotmails.

How do you do that?

You do that from within the Gmail program on your pc. Look under settings.

Yep, it works very well -- my GF hated her AOL email system but couldn't ditch the old address entirely (for the moment). So I set her up a Gmail account, which she loves, and it's been working flawlessly (pulls in her AOL email no problem, and the setup was painless). The ability to change the "from" field to either address is great, and makes things so easy.

Yea, just log into GMail on your pc and go to Settings a the top right. then go to Accounts and Import. Just put in as many other emails as you want.

You don't condition lithium ion batteries. You should occasionally let them run down pretty far and then do a full charge to recalibrate the charge meter, but conditioning is a thing of the past.

Correct, running down a lithium can actually damage it.

You can easily have access to your comcast account , even without using gmai. You just go into the applications section , touch the email setup client(not the gmail one , the other one) fill in your addy and password and let her rip. The client will either locate your servers or not. If it does not, you go to manual and enter your incoming and outgoing servers , ports and authentication and bang your done. This is my experience with the Android phones we use on Verizon and I do not see why that would not be the case with the Nexus

Back