Google Nexus One Avail. Jan 5

I got it since I have tmobile and my 3gs just is on edge... and I have 100% tmobile 3g here so I will just tether to iphone/touch if i need to use one of those apps.

Well, I ordered mine at work a little while ago and just waiting for it to be shipped out... :) So the 32g 3gs turns into my touch until I sell and get a touch...

Yep, I ordered mine too. Free overnight shipping which is nice.

In for 1, non-contract. Already on t-mobile as well, have been running a htc touch diamond I got on contract in Japan. Can't wait to replace winmo with android.

Also got free shipping w/fedex, funnily you have to pay extra for UPS ground...

Anyone else having issues upgrading their phone on the google.com/phone website. I keep getting a message saying the the t-mobile servers are busy and to try again later.

Why is everyone jizzing over this phone ? I was watching CNN this afternoon, and the on air woman was all like, oh my God the first iPhone killer :eek: And it is the first Google phone to compete with the iPhone she said, this will be huge :rolleyes:

Ok...but why didn't she mention the T-Mobile G1 that came out in 2007 that is not too different than this Nexus, or the other half a dozen Android phones already on the market :rolleyes:

Am I missing something here, or isn't the Nexus-1 just another Android phone, not much different than the Droid, and MyTouch, besides it's faster hardware, and 2.1 OS, but the other Android phones will get 2.1 too. I think this Nexus-1 will be old hat in a few months when the Motorola Shadow comes out, and then when ever the first 3.0 Android hits late this year.

I wish this was ATT so bad! It's everything I need in a phone. I could use it for skype.

Why is everyone jizzing over this phone ? I was watching CNN this afternoon, and the on air woman was all like, oh my God the first iPhone killer :eek: And it is the first Google phone to compete with the iPhone she said, this will be huge :rolleyes:

Ok...but why didn't she mention the T-Mobile G1 that came out in 2007 that is not too different than this Nexus, or the other half a dozen Android phones already on the market :rolleyes:

Am I missing something here, or isn't the Nexus-1 just another Android phone, not much different than the Droid, and MyTouch, besides it's faster hardware, and 2.1 OS, but the other Android phones will get 2.1 too. I think this Nexus-1 will be old hat in a few months when the Motorola Shadow comes out, and then when ever the first 3.0 Android hits late this year.

The Nexus One is retard fast, that's the big deal.

Why is everyone jizzing over this phone ?

Probably because with the release of the Nexus One there is now finally a phone with a powerful enough processor to be able to run Android OS with no lag. The phone has a full speed Qualcomm 1 Ghz Snapdragon processor that can really showcase what android is all about. Also, the AMOLED screen is really nice. Makes my MyTouch look like a toy in comparison.

Last edited:
The phone is great..I have been using it for three weeks, but I can tell you the battery sucks big time.
With NO media usage I get 12 hours before it tells me to charge..Yes that sounds like a lot but remember thats no browser, no video and no music use.
I also miss a ton of calls because of the stupid speaker being on the back of the phone. If the phone is lying down on a soft surface...towel, bed, shirt ect the fabric mutes the ringer..sucks...even at work where my phone is on a hard surface i cant hear it in the next room because of the same reason.

Is it true that the screen is hard to see in daylight, brightly lit areas? Plus, what of the four touch sensitive buttons, are their sensor areas in the correct spot? Or too high as in the Engadget review?

I havent noticed not being able to see the screen outside..but it is winter..so?
The buttons work, you just have to hit them correctly..I would say not a big deal.
The other problem I keep having is that sometimes i cant enter text in the text box..for messaging..just wont let me...I have to exit out of the program and then go back in.

Check if you are you running a lot of things in the background which could chew up the battery. They aren't visible, but you can find out by checking out the battery usage history in the settings. Would be awesome if you could report back what you see. Would probably be a good idea to install a background task killer to get rid of background processes, since Android loves to multitask without you knowing. You can find free ones in the marketplace. Have you conditioned the battery with full discharges and then charging it to 100%? wifi, gps, bluetooth radios can be turned off when not in use. The battery is fairly large at 1400 mAh and should DEFINITELY last longer than 12 hours. Most recent HTC phones seem like they are designed to last a day at least.

Have you conditioned the battery with full discharges and then charging it to 100%?

You don't condition lithium ion batteries. You should occasionally let them run down pretty far and then do a full charge to recalibrate the charge meter, but conditioning is a thing of the past.

You don't condition lithium ion batteries. You should occasionally let them run down pretty far and then do a full charge to recalibrate the charge meter, but conditioning is a thing of the past.

The biggest help for battery life I've found with my G1 is turning off wifi. GPS stays off until I go into maps (when I want to use the turn-by-turn), and I have a shortcut on the desktop to toggle wifi when I need it.

What a waste of time. Being on Tmobile and they still make you get a separate plan, why cant i use it on a family plan is beyond...Why the hell would i get this when i can get an iphone since ill have to get a new contract regardless... Was going to get one but now i am not

What have I missed about this phone? I stopped following it once I heard the phone would be sold under T-Mo plans at $180 and $500 phone only with no support for AT&T's 3G network. I was hoping to catch it at the unbelievable rumor prices to give Android a shot, I hear the phone is fast and powerful though.

Check if you are you running a lot of things in the background which could chew up the battery. They aren't visible, but you can find out by checking out the battery usage history in the settings. Would be awesome if you could report back what you see. Would probably be a good idea to install a background task killer to get rid of background processes, since Android loves to multitask without you knowing. You can find free ones in the marketplace. Have you conditioned the battery with full discharges and then charging it to 100%? wifi, gps, bluetooth radios can be turned off when not in use. The battery is fairly large at 1400 mAh and should DEFINITELY last longer than 12 hours. Most recent HTC phones seem like they are designed to last a day at least.

Not...says most of the battery is going to make calls, then the screen.

Just the fact that the phone itself is awesome, but it's tied to a crappy carrier with even crappier upgrade eligibility pricing. $180 is only for new T-Mo customers... it's $279 and $379 if you're adding or changing a data plan... oh, and you can't get one one a family plan.

I ordered one to try out, even though I despise T-Mo... we'll see how it works out.

mine arrived, on my desk, next to me, charging. It says to wait for it to be fully charged before using.....ARG!

Had mine since 3pm EST today. Go all my apps and settings back in it from my G1. Was a pretty simple process of installing MyBackUp on the N1, and throwing in my sd card from my G1. Then restoring the backup. LOVING this phone so far. Feels great in hand, the soft keyboard is super accurate, the voice to text is like 90-95% accurate if you articulate, and everything just zips.

yep, missed the fedex truck while I was at work but was able to stop and the local office and pick it up :)

Been playing with it since I got it at 4pm just looking to get some apps on it. Coming from my iphone I have been very happy so far! Finally getting 3g on my provider so I am happy.

I've been using it for about 4 hours now -- I find it absolutely fantastic. I had a lot of reservations coming from the G1's physical keyboard, but the virtual keyboard is excellent. It's sexy, fast, the voice recognition is great....did I mention it's FAST!? The navigation app is SO much smoother it's positively ridiculous....

does anyone know when the nexus one will be arriving in tmobile stores?

i really want to try it out, but im not willing to spend $500 to see if i like it or not :(

Also, anyone want to post some unboxing pics? :D

does anyone know when the nexus one will be arriving in tmobile stores?

i really want to try it out, but im not willing to spend $500 to see if i like it or not :(

Also, anyone want to post some unboxing pics? :D

It won't. It's being sold exclusively online.

Any of you guys using the Nexus One come from an iPhone, somebody with jailbreak experience... you think the Nexus One will be on par with the iPhone's flexibility

Daaamn. On my Droid usually 50+% of the phone goes towards just 'Display.'

Well this figure is done since the phone was last unplugged, so if you aren't making many calls, then something else (typically the screen) will show as having taken the most battery. It's really a reflection of how you're using your phone (coupled with their relative power requirements), rather than "what uses the most battery life on the phone."

Any of you guys using the Nexus One come from an iPhone, somebody with jailbreak experience... you think the Nexus One will be on par with the iPhone's flexibility

Well, I am coming from a G1, so I don't have experience with a jailbroken iPhone, but I can tell you, once this thing is rooted, there pretty much won't be anything you can't do. My G1 was rooted, had tons of non-market apps on it, superuser, tweaks. It's REALLY flexible.

EDIT: and root and custom roms will be here very soon. All the devs at XDA are all over this phone.

Well, I am coming from a G1, so I don't have experience with a jailbroken iPhone, but I can tell you, once this thing is rooted, there pretty much won't be anything you can't do. My G1 was rooted, had tons of non-market apps on it, superuser, tweaks. It's REALLY flexible.

EDIT: and root and custom roms will be here very soon. All the devs at XDA are all over this phone.

there probably won't be any need for speed tweaks like the G1 needed, since this phone has the hardware.

I'm 1 year into my G1's contract with T-Mobile, and tried to upgrade to the N1. It said I wasn't eligible :(

I was told by a customer rep about two weeks ago that if you "ask nicely" that they will often let you go ahead.

I have had a G1 for a year and a half and nice didn't mean shit.

That might be the case with the Nexus One since it's brand new -- when I spoke with the customer rep I had to tell her that there was "going to be a new Android phone on your service" that she didn't know about. I think it's a YMMV situation unfortunately.

Give T-Mo a couple weeks to sort it out. I've heard of people saying that T-Mo reps "in the know" will allow upgrades, but most just get shot down. I don't even think the phone is completely in their system yet after calling them myself.

Give T-Mo a couple weeks to sort it out. I've heard of people saying that T-Mo reps "in the know" will allow upgrades, but most just get shot down. I don't even think the phone is completely in their system yet after calling them myself.

I have the same feeling that this is the situation, im gonna give it a month, i want to get it through my business' family plan and hope to get it cheaper. Im gonna give it a month. Either way i figure the slick navigation alone is worth the $300 along with the extra cost going towards the phone. Why buy a Carnav?

I have the same feeling that this is the situation, im gonna give it a month, i want to get it through my business' family plan and hope to get it cheaper. Im gonna give it a month. Either way i figure the slick navigation alone is worth the $300 along with the extra cost going towards the phone. Why buy a Carnav?

because your screwed if you loose your data connection.

you're fine if you lose your data connection, you just have to start with a data connection.

how long are you fine for? plus if you open a new app, android might close the nav app, there goes your cache.

how long are you fine for? plus if you open a new app, android might close the nav app, there goes your cache.

have you ever used it before? Android keeps the navigation going for as long as you'd like, remember, the OS multitasks. I've used it for a total of 8 hours or so of driving so far and it has never let me down.

Regarding the data connection, as long as you don't leave the route while you don't have a data connection, the route is cached. It just sounds to me like you haven't used it before..

Back