Google Maps Using Photoshop?

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Kenworth

Kenworth 2[H]4U

They have no reason to hide it there though. Maybe if it were a golf course here, then I could see...

2. RadCliffeX

RadCliffeX 2[H]4U

Its Holland guys, its legal to grow weed there anyways...no need to hide it on Google maps.

You can grow it on your front porch, no need to hide it.

Oh how that freedom must be nice

3. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski n00b

What do you mean? I just looked up if Area51 is closed and all I found was references to a bad article from Popular Mechanics which has been seen as very badly researched.
    Seems it's still open as far as I can tell.

4. diablerie

diablerie [H]Lite

It could have been done intentionally. A lot of map providers intentionally make minor errors in their maps in order to identify their maps if someone rips them off or resells them.

5. NKDietrich

NKDietrich [H]ardness Supreme

Check out the trees on the left side of the pond in the google maps view. Clonestamping there too.

6. BucBrew

BucBrew [H]Lite

CLone stamping on the trees on the left of the pond for sure.

7. bnolsen

bnolsen n00b

This ain't nothin..at least they got it.

And who *really* cares about replicated trees. This is an area of an ortho seam and the person running QC probably saw trees leaning into each other and decided to fix it to make a prettier picture.

In some cases you'll find photoshop jobs where someone turns a 2 lane road magically into a 4 lane divided highway. That's when the bundle adjustment on the original imagery or a pre existing surface model is really bad.

8. hophead

hophead [H]Lite

Where are Mulder and Scully when you need em?
    God knows none of us will take the time to go out there and check it out. :cool:

9. bob

bob 2[H]4U

[​IMG]

Id guess the original photo/shot is old, they decided against taking a second updated photo, and would rather shoop in some trees and call it good.

10. Borgschulze

Borgschulze 2[H]4U

That's where Waldo hides, they didn't want you to find him.

11. VolvoR

VolvoR Gawd

and if you look at the original picture, the trees make a shape like an "H" LOL

12. zleuth

zleuth Limp Gawd

Here's a link to what I have seen google do to conceal sensitive areas.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=41.710672,-73.939008

In this case, the area is under an old train trestle where the local utility company has a propane injection and major electrical junction. As you can see, the details have been blurred, not photoshopped to conceal it.

13. bonsai

bonsai [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, cause if I was gonna build a secret missle silo, I'd build it right next to a GOLF COURSE. :rolleyes:

14. RangerXML

RangerXML [H]ardness Supreme

Hide something big, in plain sight.

15. el rolio

el rolio 2[H]4U

BACK FOR ONE POST ONLY! Its ROLI FROM THE NETHERLANDS (by way of jamaica, minneapolis, etc)

----

fellas, funny thing is, it aint the first time that a google map is something funny going on in the netherlands. check this out:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=52.094445,5.139982&spn=0.004179,0.007832&z=17

This is the top of my street (ramstraat). Its been like this for the whole year I've lived here. First thing I did last september was check the place out. Go figure its a great house, i think a couple businesses are in there. I'm glad this thread popped up, I gotta go knock on the door before I move up to A'dam in a few weeks.

my sister is certain that aliens are in there. maybe i wont knock on that door.... hmm