Google Maps Has Been Updated

what exactly changed, lol. it still looks like a cluttered mess of irrelevant information..

Did they get rid of that bullshit attempt to 3d render the aerial imagery or at least give the option to turn it off?

Oh look, a map of my old stomping grounds.

Wonder if I'll make enough money for it to be worth moving back ever again.

Like the hobo piss smell, every day. Why the fuck did I put up with that? Nice place, nice car, nice girlfriend, nice shoes. Hobo piss. Every. Fucking. Day.

meh.. make fun of google maps all you want.. Apple maps still hasn't updated a section of road that has been built for a fucking year! Just doesn't exist in their map at all. I even make use of the "Google Earth" option occasionally. If those screenshots show the right side as their "new" version, I'm good with it as it makes the streets more definitive with the thicker white lines and muted colors for freeways. The darker contrast for areas/locations makes it easier to spot them at a quick glance also.

They seem to have updated some of aerial maps as well. My address is now an image that is only about two years old.

Google purchased Waze, but didn't seem to integrate anything between the two services. A google maps that includes the social-networking aspect of Waze, where users can report potholes, stopped vehicles on the shoulder, police, and so forth would be great, or include google maps' offline map capability into Waze to save some data... just seems like a waste not to leverage each other's strengths, and more like a ploy to buy out competitors so as not to be replaced.

I don't see anything different about it. But at least administrative borders are working again. Last I checked they borked that feature.

so basically wider streets, paler highway colors, bold labels for poi(s). This required an announcement of sorts? Did it take a few years of committee work and one hour to make the changes in the cartography file?

...yep... still has giant white boxes taking up 1/3 of the screen, great job google.

Ugh - don't get my hopes up. Pretty sure it's still completely broken. Things g-maps desperately needs but apparently they have no plans to fix:
  • High-Contrast Color Schemes! Why the hell are all the roads white on a light-tan background!? Makes them nearly impossible to see - I'm really surprised they haven't been sued over that shit yet by someone with worse vision that me
  • Label the f'ing roads! Their algorithm for which roads get text labels is atrocious - have to constantly zoom in and out to see names of roads
  • Ability to make the fonts larger so they're easier to read on high-res devices
  • Ability to lock north-always-up so I don't keep accidentally rotating the map when I try to zoom. This should be a permanent setting in the options, not a temporary caveat in the map control interface that can be screwed up at any moment

Looking at them side by side I prefer the older one.

Big important roads have higher contrast.

The one on the right looks like a low contrast mess. The text does stand out better on the right though.

Back