Google Is Paying Wireless Carriers To Use Android

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, wireless carriers are being paid by Google to use Android.

PaidContent's Tricia Duryee reports reports that Google's deals with mobile carriers (and some phone makers) include an advertising revenue sharing agreement, provided they pre-install Google apps like Search, Maps, and GMail on phones. This should come as no surprise, given how long phone and PC companies have been paid to pre-install stuff.

Makes sense to me. Seems like a good way to get some shelf space and get an install base in a market that it is hard to get much penetration into. They have the capital to burn so they might as well use it to make more money in the long run.

So it's not that Google is paying them, but that Google makes less money off the ad revenue.

Which, in the end, Google probably makes even more money anyways because the Company will be doing more sponsoring of their Android product.

win-win situation.

But the customer gets buried in more and more ads on their device.

win-win trumped by a big loss.

Are you overwhelmed by ads with any of Google's current services? (Gmail, search, etc).

What makes you think that this will be different?

I'm just imagining the hue and cry if this were Apple paying companies to use their device. The ragetears would be flowing.

I'm just imagining the hue and cry if this were Apple paying companies to use their device. The ragetears would be flowing.

Different situation altogether. Google isn't paying for phone companies to use Android, they are paying them to include apps. It would be like Apple paying companies to bundle iTunes or QuickTime. Well, it would be like that if iTunes and QuickTime didn't suck ass, but I digress ;)

Damn I'm spending so much time deleted ads off my Motorola DROID, that my DROID has now become self aware and is making this post for me.

Your's truly,
Derf's Droid

Different situation altogether. Google isn't paying for phone companies to use Android, they are paying them to include apps. It would be like Apple paying companies to bundle iTunes or QuickTime. Well, it would be like that if iTunes and QuickTime didn't suck ass, but I digress ;)

Fair enough, let me rephrase:

I'm just imagining the hue and cry if this were Apple doing pretty much anything at all.

Fair enough, let me rephrase:

I'm just imagining the hue and cry if this were Apple doing pretty much anything at all.

Of course, Steve J.C. Jobs doesn't break everyone's bread for them. You have to be in the ApplElite to have that blessed experience. :p

On a serious note, Apple wouldn't have as much of a anti-fanboy following if it wasn't for Steve Job's smug approach at times, here is a fine example. http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/11/19/criticizes.dev.for.responding.to.legal.threat/

Other people just hate Apple cause it's cool, I dislike Apple to a degree because I hate Steve Jobs. And the fact that every serious Apple user (those who own more then just an iPod or iPhone) have gone to great lengths to prove that they aren't just big time Apple consumers but also do a good job as passing off as a clone or offspring of Steve Jobs... :p

This still didn't stop me from buying my iPod. I was happy that they didn't crucify me in the Apple Store at that time though, cause the guy who worked there glared at my phone and went "Is that a DROID", in a tone that magically erased his damn near perfect customer service front. Would have sworn that I brought the anti-Christ into the store. :p

Companies do this kind of thing all the time. We will buy your software if you buy ours. We will license your services if you install our software. You may resell our software if you also purchase it.

Each company's revenue is higher, which looks good to shareholders. Each company's cost of doing business is higher, which benefits them at tax time. I understand it's not exactly acceptable practice, but I'll let any accountants around chime in.

Google's phone apps don't have ads.

True but Google owns AdMob which is embedded in LOTS of the Android Market apps (not to mention all the iTunes app store apps. ;)

Bottom line is this is a good idea and Google stands to profit from it.

Of course, Steve J.C. Jobs doesn't break everyone's bread for them. You have to be in the ApplElite to have that blessed experience. :p

On a serious note, Apple wouldn't have as much of a anti-fanboy following if it wasn't for Steve Job's smug approach at times, here is a fine example. http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/11/19/criticizes.dev.for.responding.to.legal.threat/

Other people just hate Apple cause it's cool, I dislike Apple to a degree because I hate Steve Jobs. And the fact that every serious Apple user (those who own more then just an iPod or iPhone) have gone to great lengths to prove that they aren't just big time Apple consumers but also do a good job as passing off as a clone or offspring of Steve Jobs... :p

This still didn't stop me from buying my iPod. I was happy that they didn't crucify me in the Apple Store at that time though, cause the guy who worked there glared at my phone and went "Is that a DROID", in a tone that magically erased his damn near perfect customer service front. Would have sworn that I brought the anti-Christ into the store. :p

Pretty much. I have an iPhone, yet I still think Steve Job's an obnoxious prick. His ravings had no influence over my decision to have an iPhone (bought and paid for, plan and all, by my boss).

Would I have bought one if I had to pay for it myself? I dunno. I had a Blackberry Bold before this and I accidentally lost it on a 40 mile bike ride. I told my boss I'll not be able to get another email away from my computer for a week until I order my new Bold to replace the one I lost. She said she'll be willing to buy me an iPhone 3Gs 32gb if I wanted one. How could I say no to that?

This was before the Palm Pre and the sudden influx of smart phones and touchscreen phones. The iPhone was simply one of the best ones available besides the Bold at the time.

Pretty much. I have an iPhone, yet I still think Steve Job's an obnoxious prick. His ravings had no influence over my decision to have an iPhone.
Same here. I bought mine used, jailbroke it, and use it with a basic no-data T-mobile plan. I bought it because it was a compact smartphone with wifi and a zillion quality apps to pick from. I want the new Samsung Galaxy S though but as I look through Android's app offering I'm second guessing the switch....especially when I start looking at the piss poor game offerings coming out. Android has a long way to go to catch up in some areas. Hopefully they can.

Other people just hate Apple cause it's cool,

not really. There are counless number of reasons and if you want the list, just search for apple in this news forum or on internet in general.

Ok maybe I'm crazy but isn't this a case where pre bundled aps that don't cost any money and are useful, actually a good thing?

most people use google search, gmail and google maps, otherwise they would not be so big a company. I could see if they included something most people are not suing but those three seem harmless?

I told my boss I'll not be able to get another email away from my computer for a week until I order my new Bold to replace the one I lost. She said she'll be willing to buy me an iPhone 3Gs 32gb if I wanted one. How could I say no to that.

So, your Boss being so gernerous about getting you a phone would only have me ask if your banging her?

Just asking man, thought you were doing the good deed. 12, really, was that how young you were thinking in your fucked up household at that age? You son of a bitch! Back to Iphone's and hating Steve Jobs....

If you must know, she's a friend of the family and she likes to buy new equipment all the time for some of her employees. I'm constantly getting new laptops and software. She has a couple of cousins and nieces working with us too that gets the same treatment. Her husband is the owner of the company. So it's a very tight-knit company where everyone knows everyone by family connections or by having worked with them in the many years they've been in the steel and oil industry. We're a project management firm of about 50 employees, each stationed in various places all over the United States, France, Italy, England and Serbia.

Low overhead cost and high income from clients allows them to do this for us.

Back