Google Is Developing Android Game Console

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just what the world needs, more consoles and an android powered wristwatch. :rolleyes:

Google Inc. is developing a videogame console and wristwatch powered by its Android operating system, according to people familiar with the matter, as the Internet company seeks to spread the software beyond smartphones and tablets. With the game machine and digital watch, Google is hoping to combat similar devices that Apple Inc. may release in the future, according to the people.

Will be as useless and successful as the Ouya. Feel free to reference this post 5 years from now when this proves true.

I think this is another project Google with flop on (the console). I just get the Nexus Q vibe from it.

I don't know of anyone that wears a wristwatch....anywhere....unless they're "dressing up" for a formal occasion. A digital watch with an LCD screen is hardly acceptable for something like that.

All they need to compete is put in an 8core amd CPU and 8gb of GDDR5 and they are good to go.

But arrnt all android phones all about the latest specs? They are gonna Gave to put a deca core cpu and a amd 7950 ........ Its going to be awesome:eek:

Unless it turns out like the OUYA with feeble specs than people just use for a while and forget about it

I don't know of anyone that wears a wristwatch....anywhere....unless they're "dressing up" for a formal occasion. A digital watch with an LCD screen is hardly acceptable for something like that.
Interesting. I wear one everyday and know plenty of others who do as well. I wouldn't wear a digital watch, though.

Interesting. I wear one everyday and know plenty of others who do as well. I wouldn't wear a digital watch, though.
Same here. (non-digital) Watches are classy.

I would definitely wear an analogue watch for a formal occasion. I USED to love watches until I somehow developed a very special kind of claustrophobia or whatever. I feel restricted wearing one. I could deal with it for a few hours, once in a great while. Still have to resist buying nice analogue watches when they show up on Woot or whatever site. :cool:

Most all of my friends are people who do somewhat manual labor (from programming pc's and robots, to electricians and grocery store managers), and they never wear watches....well, the grocery store manager does...he's the only one I still love watches that are classy, but have to remember that I never wear one. Blah.

I think this is another project Google with flop on (the console). I just get the Nexus Q vibe from it.

super-computer-nerd.jpeg

Android is uninspired crap, and so will this console be.

"Yawn"

I don't think a console will determine who wins the OS war. I personally like android, but I'm sure if I had an IOS item I would like it too. Both seem pretty equal when you compare features and software offerings. Take what you like and go with that. I will still mostly browse with IE Whatever and Chrome...and whatever is the base Android browser. They all work pretty much the same for my casual browsing, and that's all I care about most days.

Now, once it starts getting into Winter around here, I want something robust and stable, with great offerings....and so far Android has had about the same offerings as IOS.

For me, I don't see a reason to change. To each their own, for sure.

If Google can put some serious CPU and GPU muscle into it so that devs can release cross-platform titles on it, then I would say it's a good concept to pursue.

Unfortunately, with the PS4 and XBone being AMD x86 based, coding games for anything other than that architecture will be a real time consuming, and an expensive, PITA.

Without beefy hardware in such a console, Google will have nothing more than the equivalent of a tablet plugged in to an HDTV that allows people to play games like Angry Birds and browse the internet with Chrome on a very large screen. Which is damn near what my Wi-Fi enabled $105 Blu-ray player can do right out of the box.

Google keeps trying different shit and then pats itself on the back for the 5% that works out.

Google keeps trying different shit and then pats itself on the back for the 5% that works out.
Say what you will about Google, but they aren't afraid to try different things. I doubt any company dumps the kind of money into R&D that Google does.

Say what you will about Google, but they aren't afraid to try different things. I doubt any company dumps the kind of money into R&D that Google does.

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is a bad thing either. Innovation isn't about 100% success. Anyone who thinks that is a fool.

What's with all the doom and gloom.

I've seen some interesting stuff done on Ouya such as using it as an emulator. Sure it's not for everyone, but it doesn't mean it's useless.

Perhaps Google can come up with an even more powerful device that can be used to power a Playstation 2 emulator.

I read an article somewhere that explained that is part of their business culture. You're expected to think outside the box and develop things, they don't care if it flops as that 5% of success more than makes up for it.

It's why they continue to lead on a lot of things over just rehashing. It's also why they have some batsh** crazy ideas.

Will be as useless and successful as the Ouya. Feel free to reference this post 5 years from now when this proves true.

As long as we can reference it if the Ouya (etc etc) do well.

For the sake of this, how are we judging success? If there's a lot of sales on the Ouya 1? If they produce an Ouya 2?

I read an article somewhere that explained that is part of their business culture. You're expected to think outside the box and develop things, they don't care if it flops as that 5% of success more than makes up for it.

It's why they continue to lead on a lot of things over just rehashing. It's also why they have some batsh** crazy ideas.
Its only possible for them because they have a bazillion dollars initially from the tech bubble era. Business aren't normally allowed by their boards to keep that kind of cash around. After the leadership goes over to traditional management, that wad of cash will go away and google won't have the spare cash to tolerate a big string of failures.

I think a lot of people are not giving Google enough credit here, the nexus phones and tablets are considered some of the best, especially when it comes to price and quality and a nexus console is probably a smart move on their end.

Its only possible for them because they have a bazillion dollars initially from the tech bubble era. Business aren't normally allowed by their boards to keep that kind of cash around. After the leadership goes over to traditional management, that wad of cash will go away and google won't have the spare cash to tolerate a big string of failures.

Read about Google's upcoming stock split, and you'll notice that it won't be changing hands for the foreseeable future. The whole structure is about consolidated voting power.

Also, Google IPO'ed after the "dot com bubble" burst, so not sure what you're talking about "tech bubble era". Unless you mean to say that tech in general is a bubble, in which case you should probably log off the internet before your break your hip.

Might be a better move to buy OUYA, make it better (i.e. fix their mistakes) and release future versions of it.

I just hope this isnt one of google's expensive ass pump and dump projects. Seriously Nexus Q and Google TV were not cheap and both of them were touted as big projects with lots of support. The Q was dropped almost the moment it came out, and Google TV saw what 2 major updates before the canned it?

And the Ouya creators just shat their pants.

Indeed they are losers if this is true. Other victims would be Steam or any other no name never made a console player. This market, if Google enters it, is pretty closed, with only Apple having a chance. It's pretty closed as it is now anyway.

I think it'd be cool to see Google really make a push for both casual and core gamers with this product, not just a 'me too' Android console, but something with respectable specs and big name publisher support.

Or just get Valve onboard, i'd be cool with that.

Android can already play games from inside a purse. Does it need to be all creepy and Kinect-like by sitting in someone's living room too?

Indeed they are losers if this is true. Other victims would be Steam or any other no name never made a console player. This market, if Google enters it, is pretty closed, with only Apple having a chance. It's pretty closed as it is now anyway.

And this affects Steam how? This is still an Android box so the only people at risk are the makers of other Android boxes. And even then, given Google's track record of fishing and then cutting bait, the risk is transitory. I think it would be more dangerous to the Android gaming boxes if Apple decided to officially support gaming and produce an iOS box. ;)

Apple decided to officially support gaming and produce an iOS box. ;)

It's coming, but it will probably just be the enabling of apps on the apple tv. Now with game controller support coming in io7 its the last piece of the puzzle.

This is great news!

I hope they pour billions into it and create something as good as the Dreamcast.

Let's get some color VMUs too!

LOL maybe they forgot that smartphones can already play android games ! Someone slap them silly for me please...what a joke

It would be awesome if they build something that will make DirectX a thing of the past and supplant windows as the defacto operating system for gaming.
I think. Maybe not...Just thinking.

It would be awesome if they build something that will make DirectX a thing of the past and supplant windows as the defacto operating system for gaming.
I think. Maybe not...Just thinking.

Something that utilizes OpenGL, like Android/Linux perhaps?

Steambox powered by android, with games optimized for OpenGL. Then PC gamers might win too. never happen...

My remark was semi-sarcastic, but yeah. OpenGL is plenty capable these days and works across all platforms. So end users win, monopolies are crushed, so it could be good either way if Google does something like this and is successful. I like seeing more games developed for OGL because they usually end up on other platforms without a problem. i.e. Windows, Linux, Mac, Mobile, etc.

I really hope this annoucment gets Apple to really think about how to change there Apple TV device if they would just open that system up to all iOS apps and a good controller you could have a very nice streaming, casual gaming box with a TON of already great game apps available. I like Android but from my experiences the OS still crashes way too much even on modified versions I have used on tablets and phones let alone what I hear about the OUYAs interface doesnt give me much confidence on product stability on the software side of things...

Back