• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Google Instant Previews

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Google Instant Previews goes live today. Sounds kinda interesting, don't you think?

When a user clicks or hovers over the magnifying glass, a screenshot of the webpage in question will appear on the right side of the search results page. It's an at-a-glance view of the website's content without actually having to visit the webpage.
 
They should also implement a microscope icon so you can see if the site has any bugs.
 
oh, hope they do video previews like bing had when it first launched. made it easy to find good pron...
 
I've been using the Firefox add-on Google Previews for a long time to accomplish what this article is saying is now built into Google searches itself.

Also, Norton displays an icon next to search results in IE and FF which tells you if a site is safe or not. FF can intercept if you try to go to a known phishing web site as well.
 
Personally, I can't stand the instant anything they keep throwing at us. I won't switch to any other search engine, however, so it becomes an issue of "Ok, how do I get past this crap they keep shoving down my throat" and so, having said that here's how to get rid of Google Instant anything if you happen to use Firefox - it's only for Firefox, however.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7190054_disable-instant-search-permanently-firefox.html

I just applied it and restarted Firefox. Before I was using a Greasemonkey script to get that instant crap gone, but the new Instant Previews was still in there, and I had added several lines to try and keep it out with ABP's element hiding helper to no avail. I followed the simple instructions in that article and now the only thing I get is the suggestion fill which I can deal with, but anything else related to their instant stuff - instant search, instant preview - is now dead as in doornail dead.
 
Did Instant Search kill someone you love or something? I've never heard anyone so angry about it. I love it personally, half the time I don't have to type my entire search query anymore and it's much easier to tweak your queries quickly.
 
When you do work that requires you to do hundreds if not thousands of searches a day (like me) speed is of the essence. Also, I have my search preferences to show 100 hits on a page, not the piddly default of 10 that most everyone just leaves that way forever.

Google is turning into everything but the simple clean search it originally was founded to become. I can understand that things change, but not even offering people an opt-out this time (they did for Instant Search but they're going to remove that opt-out soon) is a bit aggravating.

I want search results, not previews which don't do me any good at all since I'm going to go to a given link anyway. Even on a 50 Mbps line, those previews are just irritating from start to finish.

There was all this talk about Flash sucking down battery power on laptops nowadays; now a lot of that will be used by Google's constant background data moving where it used to be basically idle in between each individual search. Hell, just scrolling the page with instant search/previews now causes more data to flow without even clicking.

That's just a bit unacceptable to me (and others, I'm sure).
 
Ack, missed the edit...

As for the instant suggestions, I keep that enabled since it can help with mistyped/misspelled search keywords or phrases.

Instant suggestions != instant search/previews, they work completely different. The trick I did with that link above that disabled the instant search and previews had no effect on instant suggestions since they aren't coupled technologies - I actually prefer the suggestions. It's the search/previews that I won't tolerate and now I don't have to.
 
Back
Top