Google+ Has 100M Active Monthly Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google’s Vic Gundotra says that Google+ now has more than 100M active monthly users. I have no idea where all those people are but I'll take his word for it.

This week we also hit an important milestone--over 400,000,000 people have upgraded to Google+. It was only a year ago that we opened public sign-up, and we couldn’t have imagined that so many people would join in just 12 months. While Google+ is all about creating a better experience across Google, it’s also a destination. And here too, I’m happy to report that we have just crossed 100,000,000 monthly active users on Google+ (plus.google.com and mobile app).

I don't suppose Google+ population algorithm is tied to, say, Gmail or YouTube or the likes?

They need to improve their lying to Facebook levels! Facebook now has 9 billion active users!! :D

But now all the Google services seem to have some kind of Google+ integration (photos, Picasa, Blogger, Gmail, etc.).

After I got my Galaxy S3, apparently I subscribed to Google+ because every time I took a picture, it would automatically upload via Google+. I never meant to use Google+, it was automatic.

What's Google want from us for making it to this "milestone" anyhow? A cookie? How about a cookie they can't opt out of getting? :D

Yeah I had the stupid auto upload to Google+ on my One X. It was even uploading after I disabled the feature. I had to reinstall the app to get it to stop.

I used G+ in beta and I understood it--add friends, talk/share/whatever. Then it went live and it's like, "Oh, you like technology...well, here's all this crap that we're going to fling into your feed. Mmmmmkay?" Now I just don't get it... I'm annoyed by what I see so I just don't use it anymore.

Love google messenger. My college friends and I use it as a chatroom and video hangout all the time ^^ I even used the hangout feature to give them a lil video walk through of a cruise ship I was on. I don't have a facebook account, and definitely don't use Google+ the way you would use facebook, but I love some of the features Google has incorporated into it.

I've actually been using it more recently. The hangouts are great way to get some quick meetings going.

could be people who just forgot to turn off google+ when using other google stuff like gmail?

lol

I saw everything I needed to know about Google+ when I saw a public hangout called "Only bad bitches in here" with one chick who looked maybe 16 and 5 grown ass Indian dudes.

I saw everything I needed to know about Google+ when I saw a public hangout called "Only bad bitches in here" with one chick who looked maybe 16 and 5 grown ass Indian dudes.

They could have been friends or family members. Native Americans have families too, you know, and they probably talk to them through Google+ just like other people.

As someone mentioned above, the number is grossly inflated due to how G+ is now tied to other google services (gmail etc) and especially youtube. When you make a youtube account now (and for a while now) it is automatically tied to a G+ account, as in they are treated as one in the same. You can't make a youtube acount without it making one for you, and they have pushed hard to get people to connect their various google acounts to their youtube acount, which accomplishes a similar thing. As others mentioned, there are phones that come tied into it as well, so that 100m number is likely 3/4 people looking at youtube videos and using their android phone, having never logged into the actual G+ site.

None of my family and friends use it, but I will say it has better functionality than Facebook. I like to browse the "What's hot" on my phone. Apparently Wil Wheaton likes Linux. :p

Google Hangouts is the only thing I enjoy about G+, otherwise it is completely useless to me. I know one person who actually seems to use it.

Meh

I used it for a month when it first rolled out. It was a far superior platform but seriously lacked a strong community.

Now all I see on it are neckbeards re-posting the same fucking android articles day in and day out. Nothing of substance.

Will likely delete my entire google account in the coming weeks -- need to get all my stuff swapped over to a new email addy first, though.

I don't use FB. I have a few friends using google+ so only look at google+ maybe once a week, and only post like once every other month. My attention to posts kinda varies depending on what topics I'm in the mood for reading. I really don't use it for conversations, more just to see what my friends find interesting and want to re-share it.

Funny, I literally just posted something to Google+ a few minutes ago. I visit it regularly. However, I'm a member of quite a few circles. I'll say one thing about G+, there aren't nearly as many idiots. I don't have as many actual friends there, but I have quite a few virtual ones & most post regularly.

Back