Google Glass - $1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
People said flying cars would be ubiquitous 50 years ago. They ended up being full of shit. Your prognostications have the potential for just as little validity.

Flying cars were comic book writer inventions. Wearable computing works *today*. Its just a question of miniaturization and you'll have Glass in a contact lens. The big question is whether it will replace other technology and that's more of a political/social thing.

The big bet is going to be human computing interfaces thru neural networking and other means. Thats really when devices like this will come into their own. The other requirement is universal connectedness via cheap/free wireless broadband for everyone, which again is not so much a technical issue as a political one.

Yeah, maybe at last we will see a first person video of "the knock-out game"!

Serously, who would buy this??!?!?!

Because security cams are not typically hooked up to some jackass's YouTwitFace account.

How do you know Google Glass video is uploaded to YouTwitface? Also, how do you know it's always recording (I don't know...is it always recording?)

Isn't everyone's smart phone/tablet hooked up to YouTwitFace?

How do you know Google Glass video is uploaded to YouTwitface? Also, how do you know it's always recording (I don't know...is it always recording?)

Isn't everyone's smart phone/tablet hooked up to YouTwitFace?

Glass is not always recording. It's not even always "looking." Things like facial recognition and overlay require other apps to be running, usually on the device Glass is tethered to.

People hate Glass because this is exactly what an impulsive egotist would buy. I sense this will be a big hit for Apple users.

Yes, they should come with a free punch in the face.

I probably won't punch anyone but I may take them off and break them if I see them. These things should be outlawed as far as I am concerned.

People hate Glass because this is exactly what an impulsive egotist would buy. I sense this will be a big hit for Apple users.

Well I can't speak for other people but the reason to hate them as far as I am concerned is the incredible invasion of privacy they represent.

I probably won't punch anyone but I may take them off and break them if I see them. These things should be outlawed as far as I am concerned.

Talk about an extreme mindset. I'd love to see you try and take them off my face. I'd actually pay to be a part of that confrontation.

How about I go up to your car and kick the door in 10 times, maybe smash the windows in? I mean, fair is fair.

Is there no end to the idiocy?

People really are this shortsighted, selfish and stupid that they think they can just do whatever they want without consequences. Bunch of stupid kids. Wait till it's you who are recoded in some way that hurts you and it's put up on the internet for all time.

Well I can't speak for other people but the reason to hate them as far as I am concerned is the incredible invasion of privacy they represent.

Are you not aware you can buy a $35 wearable camera on Amazon thats tiny, designed to be undetectable, and can actually record you much more easily?

There is NO invasion of privacy, just kneejerk reactions from people and media who want to stir up controversy. The same thing happened when feature phones came out with decent cameras and people said everyone would turn into a stalker and pervert.

Try to open your mind a little and think of the incredible technical potential something like this represents and how it can make life better for so many. And btw, most people have such a highly inflated opinion of themselves. No one wants to record you, ok?

Yeah, I'm surprised how nobody has tried to get video recording removed altogether. Imagine how easy it'd be to record parts of a movie at a theater.

And people do take this stuff seriously. Many take notice when there is any kind of lens aimed in their general direction. Most people will assume Glass is recording the second they see it; I can't really imagine why they would have it for any other reason.

I think it's stupid to assume we (the ones who want the device) are going to be going around recording people making out/studying/pinching off loaves. Maybe I want it because I'd like to play with it, and see what all the fuss is about.

Are YOU really this stupid? You breaking my $1,500 purchase, doesn't warrant me wanting to, in return, break something of yours? Get the picture now? It's time to get a reality check.

Is my car recording you or in any other way invading your privacy? Are you really this stupid?

If you want to pay to get your glasses broken then get the glasses, put up the money and name the place tough guy.

If someone takes a picture of you in public, do you punch them in the face? You must be a real nice guy :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm surprised how nobody has tried to get video recording removed altogether. Imagine how easy it'd be to record parts of a movie at a theater.

And people do take this stuff seriously. Many take notice when there is any kind of lens aimed in their general direction. Most people will assume Glass is recording the second they see it; I can't really imagine why they would have it for any other reason.

If anything, ban it from a movie theatre, simple. What's stopping others from just whipping out their phones and keeping it out of sight though to record the movie? Exactly, nothing, I've even witnessed it.

People really are this shortsighted, selfish and stupid that they think they can just do whatever they want without consequences. Bunch of stupid kids. Wait till it's you who are recoded in some way that hurts you and it's put up on the internet for all time.

Why do you think I'm going to put you on the internet? If I wanted to do that, why would I spend $1500 just to get your goat when I could do it right now without spending more money? Do you think everyone who drives a car is out to run you over? That they bought their car just so they could go out and cause you harm with it? How do you leave your home in the morning? Aren't you scared shitless of all these other people who are just out to hurt you and make you quake with fear?

When it records a light turns on. Its much more obvious than someone pointing a camera at you in a way you can't even tell. Glass couldn't be any *more* conspicuous. No one's going to go around secretly recording video without anyone knowing. Although given the mentality shown here, I do wonder if some geek is going to get beaten up simply because he's wearing Glass.

Why do you think I'm going to put you on the internet? If I wanted to do that, why would I spend $1500 just to get your goat when I could do it right now without spending more money? Do you think everyone who drives a car is out to run you over? That they bought their car just so they could go out and cause you harm with it? How do you leave your home in the morning? Aren't you scared shitless of all these other people who are just out to hurt you and make you quake with fear?

This is why I don't let people near my car anymore, because I can't weed out the morons from the actual enthusiasts. It's getting to the point where you can't really go out in public with something expensive, for fear of a jealous idiot, or someone who doesn't quite have their head on the right way, absolutely destroying it. It's unreal.

If someone takes a picture of you in public, do you punch them in the face? You must be a real nice guy :rolleyes:

I said I probably wouldn't punch someone. Did you not see that or are you just another dishonest person?

As for people taking photos or video of me - If I know they've done it and I know I was the intended target, then I kindly ask them to delete the media and I watch it being deleted.

Problem is, it can be auto-uploaded to some cloud storage.

Bottom line is that I have a right to privacy. If you infringe on that right in a manner that I deem is over the line then we'll have a problem. Otherwise, yeah, for the most part I am a nice guy.

Google Glass are spying tools and that is what it will be primarily used for. There's absolutely no reason to have glasses which can surreptitiously record other people's lives. At least with a phone or camera the spying is much more difficult to accomplish.

Lastly, to whichever nitwit pointed out that there are already tiny cameras and video recoding devices - yeah, so? You'd happily be recorded by those too right?

I'll not be responding to the thread any longer - mostly because I am disgusted and can't be bothered to argue with people who don't see the massive downside to these things. Just know that there are people out there in the world who do have a brain, do mind their privacy and, as a result, probably aren't going to be nice to selfish assholes walking around with spying devices on their face.

Oh, you are the guy I enjoy parking next to out near the boondocks of the parking lot.

You're the guy I avoid then. I literally don't go out anywhere that requires leaving my car unattended, I just use the PoS beater to go to the store.

How is this any different than a person with a gopro? Or an SLR? Or a Camera phone? Or a Security camera? Or a camcorder ?

BTW, iirc, if you are in public, you have no expectation of privacy.

As for people taking photos or video of me - If I know they've done it and I know I was the intended target, then I kindly ask them to delete the media and I watch it being deleted.

You seem like you have a lot of experience with other people wanting to record you for some reason. Are you a police officer by any chance?

Are you not aware you can buy a $35 wearable camera on Amazon thats tiny, designed to be undetectable, and can actually record you much more easily?

There is NO invasion of privacy, just kneejerk reactions from people and media who want to stir up controversy. The same thing happened when feature phones came out with decent cameras and people said everyone would turn into a stalker and pervert.

Try to open your mind a little and think of the incredible technical potential something like this represents and how it can make life better for so many. And btw, most people have such a highly inflated opinion of themselves. No one wants to record you, ok?

What incredible technical potential? So far all I see is a bunch of novelty crap. The biggest benefit is the ability to capture stuff without appearing to do so; which is exactly why people hate it. A light comes on... yeah... I'm sure there's no way to block that out.

Cell phones are already a major concern in regards to voyeurism, but at least that looks suspicious when you see someone angling one in improper directions. Last thing we need is some weirdo's eyes capturing everything in a bathroom filled with boy scouts "by accident".

Several people now have mentioned "spy cameras exist already". Yeah, and when you see people putting them in places they shouldn't be you do something about it. Putting a spy camera on every persons face is somewhere they shouldn't be.

Lets put it on the voting ballot and see how it goes. I suspect eye cameras would be banned with overwhelming majority.

Honestly though, if someone wants to take pictures or video of someone, they're free to do so. If people have problems with that in public, they'll speak up about it, and confrontation will happen. The problem is that everything is already on the internet as it is, and if it isn't up there, it's bound to be, it's just a matter of time.

Maybe we should also ban cars from going above 70-80 miles per hour, it's realistically a bigger threat than a camera catching someone giving head in the back of an alley. Perhaps ban nudist beaches around the world as well, because Pierre decided to come to the beach with his dick hanging out and the American couple vacationing there fears their kids are now exposed to something completely inappropriate.

The people who want to record you and invade your privacy ALREADY do so using devices much less detectable than Glass.

IMO it is very patronizing to assume that buyers (and it is not cheap by any means) will spend that kind of money just so they can go around recording others in secret. Again, this costs much much more than any other wearable camera, to treat it just like a camera is just stupid.

The ones you *should* be afraid of are the cops and the govt who are recording you, and not in secret either.

Honestly, what do people think will happen in a few years when contact lenses have cameras built in. Are you going to campaign to ban a technology because of privacy concerns, when that tech can in fact save a blind persons life?

There is always going to be privacy concerns with technology. There is no privacy in this country, our own courts have said that and our govt certainly acts like it.

Bottom line is that I have a right to privacy. If you infringe on that right in a manner that I deem is over the line then we'll have a problem. Otherwise, yeah, for the most part I am a nice guy.

No you don't. Not in public you don't. If you don't want to be recorded, go be crotchety in the privacy of your own home.

Honestly though, if someone wants to take pictures or video of someone, they're free to do so. If people have problems with that in public, they'll speak up about it, and confrontation will happen. The problem is that everything is already on the internet as it is, and if it isn't up there, it's bound to be, it's just a matter of time.

Maybe we should also ban cars from going above 70-80 miles per hour, it's realistically a bigger threat than a camera catching someone giving head in the back of an alley. Perhaps ban nudist beaches around the world as well, because Pierre decided to come to the beach with his dick hanging out and the American couple vacationing there fears their kids are now exposed to something completely inappropriate.

You have that backwards. You're talking about it here like it's the person exposing themselves on purpose who is at risk, and it's not. It's the people going about their daily lives that others choose to exploit with their devices that are at risk. It's a big enough concern already, and there's no good reason I've seen presented that convinces me we should encourage the acceptance of every person having a tiny camera on their face in public so they can capture anything and everything they glance at. You're talking about making a practice already viewed as distasteful when people attempt to do it in secret acceptable 24/7 simply because we have jerks running around doing it already. That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

Why is it ok for cameras mounted on every street corner to record every single person 24/7 with automated facial recognition, going into a db that can be accessed by anyone with no accountability or reason, and its not ok to have a camera in a person's glasses which they use for recording things of interest to them?

Is it because you trust the govt is acting in your best interests or is it because you can't protest against the govt but can against an individual?

That's a ridiculous argument. if you truly value your privacy, why not protest against the greatest threat to it, rather than some random individual who actually poses no threat to you.

IMO it is very patronizing to assume that buyers (and it is not cheap by any means) will spend that kind of money just so they can go around recording others in secret. Again, this costs much much more than any other wearable camera, to treat it just like a camera is just stupid.

Yup. I'm pretty sure that creeps who just want to record you in the locker room have better things to spend $1500 on. Unless they really need a heads-up display and voice activation to complete their whole "luxury voyeur" experience.

You're talking about making a practice already viewed as distasteful when people attempt to do it in secret acceptable 24/7 simply because we have jerks running around doing it already. That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

I applaud you for the effort. I no longer have the patience to suffer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back