Google Fiber Sign Ups Go Live In Atlanta

HardOCP News

[H] News
Residents of Atlanta looking for high-speed internet service can now sign up for Google Fiber. Google Fiber is available in three price tiers: $50 for symmetrical 100 Mbps broadband service, $70 for just symmetrical gigabit service, and $130 for gigabit broadband service plus 220+ TV channels.

Not bad pricing. I pay roughly $36 for asymmetrical broadband. 100 mbps down/10 mbps up. I'd pay $70 for that gigabit service.

If I ever move. (Eh..)
If I ever intend to own a house. (Only so I can build an end of the world bunker!)
I'm so moving to a location that has Google Fiber availability.

Man that is depressing looking at those speeds and prices , where i live we barely get 4Mbps with 80gb limit for $100/month :(, i would love to move just to have access to google fiber lol .

wait a minute....there is now a reason to live in Atlanta?!
Only certain parts of Atlanta. I live in Brookhaven. This puts me above Midtown/Peachtree and below Sandy Springs, the 2 parts of the city getting GF.

I'm the :rage::mad::banghead: meat in this Google sandwich.

Only certain parts of Atlanta. I live in Brookhaven. This puts me above Midtown/Peachtree and below Sandy Springs, the 2 parts of the city getting GF.

I'm the :rage::mad::banghead: meat in this Google sandwich.

I'm in a similar situation with Google Fiber. And because AT&T is prioritizing their fiber rollout to areas getting Google that means I'm waiting a while. :cry:

God I'm paying $59 for 50/5 someone help me lol. At least TWC said they will be upgrading my area to 300/30 for no extra charge in the next 6 months.

Also does anyone know if Google's numbers are just 1-yr intro rates? I wouldn't be surprised if they jack it up a year later.

I'd be happy with these prices.

Cox wants more for 50mbit, and that assumes you bring your own modem/router.
Add in the TV service, 300mbit, and the DVR and Cox would be around 2x the price.

so jealous. Charter & Comcast would never give competitive pricing with insanely fast service.

Also does anyone know if Google's numbers are just 1-yr intro rates? I wouldn't be surprised if they jack it up a year later.
I can't predict the future, but I've been paying the same $70/mo for 1000mb for the last three years. These are *not* introductory rates like the other companies always advertise.

I have fiber with my local coop, and let me tell you, those aren't the speeds I'm getting.

130 for Full TV and super fast internet is fucking gift compared to me.
50 for the lower tier is awesome too.

I have gigabit fiber through Centurylink and it's awesome. But if Google brought it's stuff to town I'd jump ship in a heartbeat. Especially at the prices they're charging.

This may be for the first year. Somewhere in the contract it will say: Prices can be varied after the first year. Just because they have high speeds you still have to remember what kind of company google is.

Meanwhile I am paying $230 a month for the package just above basic cable and 150/150mbit Internet on FiOS.

And I'm one of the lucky ones who actually has this service in my neighborhood.

Bet your ass I want 7 times faster internet and the top TV package at almost half the price...

It's insane. BREAK UP THE MONOPOLIES!

This is why Comcast is privately held, and Verizon obfuscate's their financial reports to hide FiOS profits. The margins in these areas must be astronomical. Several thousand percent.

I need this in my life so bad. Sick and tired of getting shafted by Comcast. AT&T isn't even an option with their crap broadband. Currently paying $90 for 75/10 internet (speeds hardly go over 65), and a basic 45 channel package, which doesn't even include HD channels LUL. In a year's time, that rate will jump to 100+. Ridiculous.

Meanwhile I am paying $230 a month for the package just above basic cable and 150/150mbit Internet on FiOS.

And I'm one of the lucky ones who actually has this service in my neighborhood.

Bet your ass I want 7 times faster internet and the top TV package at almost half the price...

It's insane. BREAK UP THE MONOPOLIES!

This is why Comcast is privately held, and Verizon obfuscate's their financial reports to hide FiOS profits. The margins in these areas must be astronomical. Several thousand percent.
The prices are absurd, there still the attitude pharmaceutical companies have: People in the US.. you know, have tons of money, so oligopoly is fine.
I don't know how much they are losing in terms of subscribers (for cable), but its clearly not nearly enough.. so I guess people do have tons of money.
It is clear the provision of the service (at least Internet I am thinking) is not exorbitant, as prices are much better when there is multiple ISP options.

Back