Google Fiber Is Coming To Salt Lake City

How are your speeds to international servers? My comcast speeds fall if I test even a New York server let alone one in London.

We already know Google fiber is decent (see screenshot below), and we now know it's going to SLC, so this thread's job is already done. Who cares what else is discussed in it.

4241913932.png

Usually it's higher. Must be network congestion.

Even in a well functioning network this will happen to a certain extent.

That being said, this has been the primary mode of obstructing competition Comcast and Verizon have used lately. Title II Net Neutrality rules forbid paid prioritization on the last mile, but explicitly exclude "network interconnects" or "peering" as it is usually known due to a lack of agency experience with the subject.

This is particularly worrying as this is the ONLY way Comcast and Verizon have abused their networks in the past, like for instance with the Netflix standoff, where they intentionally sabotaged their peering with cogent.

I have 150Mbit FiOS (nowhere near the gigabit, but still pretty fast by average standards) and it is great, except for the fact that my pings across Verizons edge networks are abysmal during peak hours. Netflix used to suck during peak hours as well, but since they paid up, it has been fairly good.

Oops, quoted the wrong post in the last one!

How are your speeds to international servers? My comcast speeds fall if I test even a New York server let alone one in London.

Even in a well functioning network this will happen to a certain extent.

That being said, this has been the primary mode of obstructing competition Comcast and Verizon have used lately. Title II Net Neutrality rules forbid paid prioritization on the last mile, but explicitly exclude "network interconnects" or "peering" as it is usually known due to a lack of agency experience with the subject.

This is particularly worrying as this is the ONLY way Comcast and Verizon have abused their networks in the past, like for instance with the Netflix standoff, where they intentionally sabotaged their peering with cogent.

I have 150Mbit FiOS (nowhere near the gigabit, but still pretty fast by average standards) and it is great, except for the fact that my pings across Verizons edge networks are abysmal during peak hours. Netflix used to suck during peak hours as well, but since they paid up, it has been fairly good.

yeah that's what I thought as well. It wasn't until recently that I realized that advertised speeds aren't always the same if I am downloading an ISO from a mirror in Germany as opposed to doing so from a Mirror locally to me say Oregon State's open source labs.

I called comcast today to see if they had any special offers like in provo (I think its 250mb/50mb for $70 in provo), they didn't as of right now, but the guy said to call back in a few weeks.

Part of me wonders if they are going to share lines with centurylink as century link is already putting in fiber in SLC.

Back