Google Chromecast now available at Amazon!

Yeah, its a lot safer that way, and all my playlists travel with me. No fear of losing CDs or having them damaged by my kids, etc.

FYI, Mine shipped this morning, I thought they were going to ship next week. Already showing a delivery of tomorrow on UPS. Can't wait to play with it, I already own 4 Roku boxes and look forward to comparing them.

can someone confirm does this thing have the ability to stream games?

Where did you hear stream games? It can stream what appears in your Chrome browser via the beta streamer, so you could use Chrome Remote Desktop to put a desktop on your browser, start a game and then stream that (if that works). Google said they will be releasing the API (or did yesterday), so whether game developers or someone else takes advantage of it to allow you to fully stream your desktop is any ones guess. To add to that, the Chrome cast doesn't actually stream what is on your computer, you send a link to it to get what you want to stream from the net, hence Youtube, Play and Netflix are fully support, because it gets that data from the web.

where did this come from?
Internetz 101 homeslice, wiki it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast

Chromecast is a media streaming adapter produced by Google. The device, a 2-inch (5.1 cm) dongle, plugs into the HDMI port of an HDTV and streams audio/video content over Wi-Fi. Chromecast is powered from a HDMI 1.4+ port, a USB port, or a power adapter, and employs an embedded version of Chrome OS. The user can then play content on their TV from either the Google Chrome web browser on a personal computer or from a supported app on a mobile device. Apps that will be supported for Chromecast's release include YouTube, Netflix, Google Play Music, and Google Play Movies & TV. Additional apps, such as Pandora, will be added in the future. Chromecast will work across several platforms and operating systems, including Android, iOS, Chrome OS, and Google Chrome on Windows and OS X. The device was announced on July 24, 2013 and will retail for US$35.[1] Chromecast is currently only available in the U.S. but will be available in other countries in the future. [2]

i have probably read 5 articles about the device and none of them mentioned it. cool.

I think 3 months of Netflix free make this a deal. That's $24 worth of netflix, I think. So its an android stick for $11.

That definitely helps on the 'maybe I'll get one of these just to screw around with' front. It's definitely not an Android stick, though. It runs a modified version of the Chromium OS.

With Google name brand recognician looks like they'll probably take over the stick market. And/or set a template for the stick makers to follow. Unfortunately its sounds like Google is going to try to control the flexibility to their benefit. They're big enough now to try to grab the whole thing.

If this is setting a template it's a poor effort - the Chromecast is basically a purpose built HDMI dongle with a pared down ARM processor (A9?) with 512MB ram onboard and 2GB flash storage. I don't think we will see this become an 'android stick' at all - just a purpose built device for video and audio streaming.

Now don't get me wrong... at this price point it's probably going to sell pretty damned good and would be a great device for Mom, Grandparents, or that someone-you-know who likes their tech stuff but isn't really knowledgeable. For what it is and what it (currently) does it's not a bad deal.

But I still think something like this is a much better deal for someone even remotely technically inclined. You can do pretty much the same stuff and when you're done watching videos or listening to music you can throw down with some Temple Run, Riptide GP, Asphalt 7, classic console emulators, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A lot of you are misunderstanding this device. It's not for streaming files off your phone, and it's not for streaming files off your NAS. It's so your phone can push URLs of streaming content to it, nothing more.

Now, will it be hacked 6 ways to sunday? Absolutely =) That's why I'm getting it.
Interesting concept. It might help with certain phones or those people who are tech challenged.

For me, its absolutely pointless. I'm not paying $35 for something I can already do with my current phone and th mini hdmi cable that came supplied with it. $35 to make that function wireless is not worth it.

"Netflix free 3 month offer pulled do to overwhelming demand", you think.

Interesting concept. It might help with certain phones or those people who are tech challenged.

For me, its absolutely pointless. I'm not paying $35 for something I can already do with my current phone and th mini hdmi cable that came supplied with it. $35 to make that function wireless is not worth it.

I like how wanting to be wireless makes us technically challenged.

I like how wanting to be wireless makes us technically challenged.
I like how you failed to take into account the key words "might" and "or". In case you misread, those two words imply what I stated are two possibilities among many. Many of those suggestions I left out, such as people wanting to use it for the ability to go wireless. The "or" implies that the "tech challenged" phrase has nothing to do with the previous statement in the sentence and is in fact the beginning of a list with only two items.

You took my statement suggesting two completely distinct situations, combined it with an entirely different and non-related personal opinion about doing the same thing with a cable and my current phone, and jumped to a conclusion about me calling everyone tech challenged using the word "us".

My post was simply to point out the first two usage ideas that came to mind, and in no way implied that everyone using it would be tech challenged. I only implied that tech challenged people could also benefit from something like this device. I then followed it with a completely personal opinion that I don't like its value because I can do something similar already. I'm sure there are a few people who will find it useful, techies and non-techies alike.

Last edited:
Almost got one then I realized I have my laptop right next to my tv and can connect hdmi-hdmi.

Almost got one then I realized I have my laptop right next to my tv and can connect hdmi-hdmi.

Of course we could all do that it's about clicking a button and for 35 bucks I will get one instead of carrying my laptop to tv and plugging it in. For me this is more for my smartphone and tablet than anything else. It's almost a must have for the price. I am grabbing one as soon as it comes back in stock.

I like how you failed to take into account the key words "might" and "or". In case you misread, those two words imply what I stated are two possibilities among many. Many of those suggestions I left out, such as people wanting to use it for the ability to go wireless. The "or" implies that the "tech challenged" phrase has nothing to do with the previous statement in the sentence and is in fact the beginning of a list with only two items.

You took my statement suggesting two completely distinct situations, combined it with an entirely different and non-related personal opinion about doing the same thing with a cable and my current phone, and jumped to a conclusion about me calling everyone tech challenged using the word "us".

My post was simply to point out the first two usage ideas that came to mind, and in no way implied that everyone using it would be tech challenged. I only implied that tech challenged people could also benefit from something like this device. I then followed it with a completely personal opinion that I don't like its value because I can do something similar already. I'm sure there are a few people who will find it useful, techies and non-techies alike.

Yea but its the convenience that people are paying for. I could plug a cable in, but why would I not get this instead of wasting money on cables and kill the clutter. I hate getting up to pause stuff. Rather do it sitting down if I am distracted. Had this been 100 dollars I wouldn't even look twice but for 35 it is almost too good of a gadget and a must have instead of having to carry wires and leaving my phone next to tv.

Internetz 101 homeslice, wiki it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast

Chromecast is a media streaming adapter produced by Google. The device, a 2-inch (5.1 cm) dongle, plugs into the HDMI port of an HDTV and streams audio/video content over Wi-Fi. Chromecast is powered from a HDMI 1.4+ port, a USB port, or a power adapter, and employs an embedded version of Chrome OS. The user can then play content on their TV from either the Google Chrome web browser on a personal computer or from a supported app on a mobile device. Apps that will be supported for Chromecast's release include YouTube, Netflix, Google Play Music, and Google Play Movies & TV. Additional apps, such as Pandora, will be added in the future. Chromecast will work across several platforms and operating systems, including Android, iOS, Chrome OS, and Google Chrome on Windows and OS X. The device was announced on July 24, 2013 and will retail for US$35.[1] Chromecast is currently only available in the U.S. but will be available in other countries in the future. [2]

I'm wondering why the heck the thing even needs a push from another device. I mean, if it goes and get's the data anyway and is not actually streaming video data from your device, but instead just relies on an external browser to feed it a URL; Why not just put a full browser on a stick, sync with a wireless keyboard, and lemme do it all right from the chromecast stick?

DLNA doesn't work half the time. And I have yet to use 1 HDMI switch that doesn't have some kind of a glitch associated with it.
I got my dad into Monoprice, when he bought his first HDTV a few years ago. Since then, he has outfit all three of the TVs he has now, with monoprice cables, wall mounts, etc. His eldest TV is limited on HDMI ports, so he bought one of their HDMI switches that comes with a remote to control it. He loves it.

I picked two of these up yesterday. It is similar to equiso. It does not have a remote or remote app similar to Apple TV. Netflix or YouTube are playing from the phone or computer similar to AirPlay in the aspect of how videos are played. Again simliar but not the same. There is t a YouTube or Netflix app built into the stick. It also lets you show your browser window In full screen if you use chrome with the chromecast plugin/addon. Not sure if Firefox has this addon yet also was using Mac to do my testing

Ordered mine from Amazon within hours of it being available and I still have this status on it:

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Garbage :(. I hope I still get a Netflix code. I'm a Netflix subscriber, so that's half of how I justified getting it, hah.

Ah why the fuck not, going to pick one up now that I can get it for $35 again at Amazon and get my free shipping.

Of course we could all do that it's about clicking a button and for 35 bucks I will get one instead of carrying my laptop to tv and plugging it in. For me this is more for my smartphone and tablet than anything else. It's almost a must have for the price. I am grabbing one as soon as it comes back in stock.

No carrying involved. If I didn't have a laptop, I would have bought it already. I can't justify $35 with everything I have available.

I don't really get the point of this but I'm happy some people do. All this thing reminds me of is the Palm Foleo. Not really a fan of a device that needs another device to actually play anything.

I'm guessing Amazon Video is not included at launch for the same reason I can't get an Amazon Video streaming app for any of my devices: they're stingy bastards. Then again, if they actually released an Android app, I still wouldn't need this since my Android stick would then work too.

I'm guessing Amazon Video is not included at launch for the same reason I can't get an Amazon Video streaming app for any of my devices: they're stingy bastards. Then again, if they actually released an Android app, I still wouldn't need this since my Android stick would then work too.

I bet you that Amazon is going to come out with their own device and before we know it we are going to have a dozen cheap HDMI dongles. The advantage with the Google Chromecast is that it has an open API and the Chrome beta streamer. I'm hoping I can use the Chrome streamer to put Amazon Prime video to my TV if Amazon decides not to play nice.

Just placed my order. I'm going to be plugging this into my receiver and stream Pandora to my sound system from my phone with the ability to adjust volume and skip songs. My only concern is that my iPad is running iOS 5 albeit my iPhone is running 6.

Sure, I also have an HTPC connected to the receiver too, but why be forced to turn on a powder hungry plasma TV and fiddle with remotes or wireless keyboards? For this much simplicity and for $35? Take my money Google.

Could someone correct me if I am wrong.
I can connect my phone to Chromecast and just play videos off my phone on TV?
So I could go to my friend's house who has a data cap through Verizon and just use my phone to save them some data through my phone?

Could someone correct me if I am wrong.
I can connect my phone to Chromecast and just play videos off my phone on TV?
So I could go to my friend's house who has a data cap through Verizon and just use my phone to save them some data through my phone?

Your phone simply would tell Chromecast what to play. Chromecast then connects to the wifi signal and streams independently. So it would be using his wifi not your phones data

Back