Google Buys Episodic To Beef Up Youtube

Since when does Rofl's write for Front Page News?

Well...we knew it was coming. I mean 1080p streaming isn't cheap.

ad insertion? i can live with that.

credit card transactions? they can go screw themselves!

Not a suprise, really.

Rofl, you need to strip formatting when you are copy and pasting! Paste into notepad and then here ;-)

I wouldn't mind watching contextual ads or paying a very small monthly fee (<$5) for access.

My only gripe with these solutions is that they really destroy the usability of online video if not done right. Right now, if you see a great video you can email your friends and family the link, embed it on your Facebook page...etc. But no one is going to sign into their paid account or watch a 60 second ad to see your 30 second clip.

Since when does Rofl's write for Front Page News?

Well...we knew it was coming. I mean 1080p streaming isn't cheap.

I think he started writing news a couple weekends ago. When Steve auditioned a few new weekend guys. MajorDomo is another weekend newsie.

HOCP4ME - I don't mind video ads either, but I would rather it be implemented like CNN's where you see an ad for about 10 seconds, then you see the video you wanted to watch. The pop-up is annoying for 2 reasons: Most average users don't know that you can close it. My mom for example never clicks the "x" to move it out of the way when I'm over her house showing her something. And secondly, pop-ups are very HTPC unfriendly. You can't close it with your remote. You'd have to keep your mouse handy if you wish to watch YouTube vids on your HTPC.

The second complaint isn't really that valid though considering you usually need a keyboard and mouse for YouTube period. But that just brings up another point. Google needs to make a Hulu-like interface for remote users and consider integrating YouTube with Media Center. When Windows 7 came out, I was so surprised to see that YouTube STILL isn't part of Media Center as popular as it is, but Netflix is.

I think he started writing news a couple weekends ago. When Steve auditioned a few new weekend guys. MajorDomo is another weekend newsie.

HOCP4ME - I don't mind video ads either, but I would rather it be implemented like CNN's where you see an ad for about 10 seconds, then you see the video you wanted to watch. The pop-up is annoying for 2 reasons: Most average users don't know that you can close it. My mom for example never clicks the "x" to move it out of the way when I'm over her house showing her something. And secondly, pop-ups are very HTPC unfriendly. You can't close it with your remote. You'd have to keep your mouse handy if you wish to watch YouTube vids on your HTPC.

The second complaint isn't really that valid though considering you usually need a keyboard and mouse for YouTube period. But that just brings up another point. Google needs to make a Hulu-like interface for remote users and consider integrating YouTube with Media Center. When Windows 7 came out, I was so surprised to see that YouTube STILL isn't part of Media Center as popular as it is, but Netflix is.

the only problem with watching a 10 second ad before the video you want..is some sites makes you watch a new video for every video, so its like 10 sec. ad > video >10 sec. ad >video >10 sec. ad >video. kind of annoying.

also, when are they going to realize that nobody is buying the crap that is in the ads. it's a waste of time man! they need to adopt some sort of subscriber thing, where you pay for x amount of online videos or tv or whatever.

Back