Google Brings Maps API To The Unity Engine

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Google has announced that they are making it's Maps API work with the Unity game engine. The integration turns buildings, roads and parks into game objects within Unity, that developers can then re-skin to build literally global scale game worlds. In practice game designers could take New York and turn it into a medieval fantasy world.

This is something I have wished for for a long time. I was begging for something like this when I first heard about "The Crew." The only unfortunate thing is the blog posts heavily mentions "mobile gaming," but hopefully that will just be a stepping stone for greater things.

Game developers will now have access to a rich, accurate, and living model of the world to form the foundation of their game worlds. With access to over 100 million 3D buildings, roads, landmarks, and parks from over 200 countries, they can deliver rich engaging game play across the globe.

Game developers will now have access to a rich, accurate, and living model of the world to form the foundation of their game worlds. With access to over 100 million 3D buildings, roads, landmarks, and parks from over 200 countries, they can deliver rich engaging game play across the globe.

Does this mean Google AdWorlds is a thing now?

Photo realism in a flight simulator was always my dream, this is very interesting too. I really enjoyed Infamous: Second Son (until I got stuck on one boss) largely because of it's depiction of Seattle, and my heart would beat faster when climbing tall buildings and that was on a PS4...true photo realism would be so totally cool I can't think of a good word to describe it...though not until new graphics cards are cheaper.

Exactly what I came here to say.. Could you imagine a GTA with a map of your hometown?! That would be insane.
I remember getting in trouble for playing a quake map of our school. This has gone too far!

(Not really, that shit was the most fun map ever.)

Wanted to do something like this for driving games a long time ago. pretty cool.

// somebody will blame it as a training simulator of something bad.

hmmm... Vacation simulator?.. Settings- Passengers 2 adults - 2 children - Vehicle Mini-fan, destination - Sea world.. drive for 10 minutes..nope, Back to game menu - Start new game.. Passengers 2 adults - Vehicle Ferrari - destination, VEGAS baby ...

hmmm... Vacation simulator?.. Settings- Passengers 2 adults - 2 children - Vehicle Mini-fan, destination - Sea world.. drive for 10 minutes..nope, Back to game menu - Start new game.. Passengers 2 adults - Vehicle Ferrari - destination, VEGAS baby ...

i have actually done something similar. Pull up google maps, goto rome or moscow, drop down into street view and move around. did it for some time touring the coliseum, etc in rome and red square in moscow. Was actually pretty cool and no lines, which you could really see when "touring" vatican city

i have actually done something similar. Pull up google maps, goto rome or moscow, drop down into street view and move around. did it for some time touring the coliseum, etc in rome and red square in moscow. Was actually pretty cool and no lines, which you could really see when "touring" vatican city

Have you tried GoogleVR?.. installed for my Rift the other day...very cool

not yet. Am getting my new threadripper system today so i can finally use the Rift i have, but havent been able to use.

Sweet... i have to say.. the Rift has really been an awesome device for more than just games. Medium is probably my favorite app. Good luck with your new system... jealous :)

Google has announced that they are making it's Maps API work with the Unity game engine. The integration turns buildings, roads and parks into game objects within Unity, that developers can then re-skin to build literally global scale game worlds. In practice game designers could take New York and turn it into a medieval fantasy world.

This is something I have wished for for a long time. I was begging for something like this when I first heard about "The Crew." The only unfortunate thing is the blog posts heavily mentions "mobile gaming," but hopefully that will just be a stepping stone for greater things.

"Good for dry runs." - Sam Hyde

Exactly what I came here to say.. Could you imagine a GTA with a map of your hometown?! That would be insane.
YEAH! Tho I would imagine most people would instinctively take a drive to their known destinations, like their everyday work commute. Then, of course, cause chaos at the location. A new stress reliever!

The big concern here would be using video games to find out where the illegal activity areas of your city are... Lol

Back