Google: are they gaing to much ground and getting to Invasive

Scotch77

Gawd
Google over the past few years has become increasingly more popular. They continue to gain ground and by doing so gain there ways into our personal and business computers. Even some companies such as IBM/Lenovo are sent stock with a pre-install of googles toolbar. The company has an assortment of applications, search engines, email and extensions available for use. The large sum of these can be seen here

Google offers an ever increasing web based email service which currently is at 2730.312319 megabytes, up from the standard 1000 megabytes it originally started with. The size is every increasing as, it is on a need based system, and if people are up to the 2730.312319 megabytes then Google must increase the size. The staggering number of 2730.312319 megabytes shows that the Gmail service has been a success, though it also means that Google has stored 2730.312319 megabytes of one particular person’s email which can include the widest variation of information possible. This is for one person now multiply that by the actual number of users which is unknown. That’s a lot of information.

Recently Gmail had the Calendar implemented for faster access. It is a great and convenient way to manage your day, while you check your email and surf the web. The Calendar gives you and well Google hourly information to where you are, and what you are doing. Got an email from a job listing on monster through Gmail. So Google know knows where you have applied. Set the calendar and they know where you will be at that time as well as if in the future if you take that job. To me this seems like way to much information.

When you login to Gmail you stay logged in, so Google can actually track to the account what you are looking up and the email and calendar information you have set. This again is probroly not consistent because in general there is other ways for Google to retrieve this information. Possibly through ISP’s who can help Google match ip addresses to search and account data.

A New service called Google Mobile can have your Calendar, Maps and email delivered to your phone. It also allows the standard good browser to be used. With more and more phones having GPS capabilities, it is defiantly possible for tracking. Even without GPS tracking the triangulation of a unit is not at all hard to find for a telecommunications company in the wireless market.

Google talk can also be used the same way as the others, it can record instant messages and video and VOIP conversations.

I can’t go into every Google service in detail but can sum them up

Google Finance
-You are still logged into Google, as they know what you are looking at and why.

Google Desktop-A way for Google to not only collect information for internet use but also to collect non internet based collection and then reporting home.

Froggle-Google now as said above can track your purchases and what you are looking to buy. You are still logged into Gmail at the time.

There are so many more.

I hope that this can make people aware of how much information they could possibly be giving one company. A company that could possibly have been good and is now corrupt and by corrupt I mean corrupted by certain organizations.

It’s all possible, and we need to remember this.

ok, but ever think of your isp?
if they watch you', they know more than google

Yeah, exactly. I too agree that Google is getting huge, but you can't be so paranoid about such a thing. They don't have time to probe other people's lives. Like the above poster said, your ISP would potentially know more than Google does.

So.. let's quit using them because they might become too knowledgeable? That's a bad way to look at things, don't persecute someone before they've done something wrong. You can be aware and suspicious, but never do you act on it without proof. I <3 Google, they have alot of helpful stuff and it's all for free.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
So.. let's quit using them on because they might become too knowledgeable? That's a bad way to look at things, don't persecute someone before they've done something wrong. You can be aware and suspicious, but never do you act on it without proof. I <3 Google, they've had alot of helpful stuff and it's all for free.
QFT

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
So.. let's quit using them because they might become too knowledgeable? That's a bad way to look at things, don't persecute someone before they've done something wrong. You can be aware and suspicious, but never do you act on it without proof. I <3 Google, they have alot of helpful stuff and it's all for free.
QFT

And to the original poster of this thread, I see if you are really paranoid and suspicious about Google, then stop using its services. Personally, I love what they have done and respect the big effort.

Your ISP knows more, plus, I don't give 2 flying f00ks if google knew what I was doing. Like they have the time to monitor every person on earth! :rolleyes:

lol this reminds me of the simpsons episode where a satellite is watching bart :p

I think you are being a bit paranoid.

Sure google can track your browsing, e-mail, etc, if they really wanted to, but why would they want to? To fine-tune what ads you would see? That is the only reason I can think of. And hell, you are going to get spam no matter what. If Google can make my spam and ads I see relevant to something I might actually want rather than 'turn your penis into 12 lbs of dangling fury in only 2 months!' or 'punch/shoot/kick the monkey/saddam/president' so much the better.

Plus, if Google didn't offer these services, someone else would move in. So far Google has proven to be a pretty up front company, and genuinely concerned about giving it's 'customers' a good experience. I'd much rather let Google potentially have this information than Microsoft.

I read it again. It didn't get any better. Did you have a point, or did you just feel like going on a "Google is evil" rant? As was said earlier in the thread; if you're not comfortable with them, don't use them.

One more thing - those of us who think your tinfoil hat is on too tight are not necessarily "noobs", nor do we have "immature minds". We just don't see a boogeyman hiding behind every corner - nor do we invent one that isn't there.

You really should relax.

The only thing I'm afraid of is if the government seizes all records and search data and our emails.

Otherwise Google never intended to do harm to us.

And this forum is full of noobs? Excuse me....

Most of the replies have been mature, no flaming, etc. And you're already starting to call us immature? WTF?

Sure google have alot of info on yr net-goings on but so what.

This kind of rant is the same rant that civil-liberties groups always go on abt when more and more CCTV's are errected around the UK. Yes I can go all around Birmingham and have my every movement recorded BUT its just that, being recorded someone isn't using it and if someone is tracking me it's probably down to the fact I done something dodgy.

But since I have not and have no cause to or have raised any suspisions then I have no concern abt my movement being recoded somewhere.

So google has something equiv, all yr emails and yr appointments? so what.
It will only start going bad IF they sold that info and they would be found out fast

if you have nothing to hide why worry. All my important emails have attachments that are encrypted containing the message

Scotch77 said:
you people have immature minds, read the post again, please.

yr mind is polluted with Marajana and you are getting paranoid, get some fresh air and a coffee

I tend to agree with the OP. I am actually surprised that so many people here seem to have no problem with them collecting and storing so much personal information. I'm not saying that I think google is going to do evil things with my information. I just want to be in control of my own information. And it makes me a bit uncomfortable knowing that a company is using my personal information to make money. I know the ads pay for the services. I know my ISP can see everything I do. I simply want to limit as much of my personal data to my own systems as possible.

For the record, the only google service I use is the search. I do not have a gmail account or anything.

Back