Google Announces Google Fiber Expansion

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has announced that it is expanding Google Fiber. The service is now coming to a town...nowhere near you. :(

Today, another city in the Kansas City area is getting the chance to join the growing Silicon Prairie — Olathe, Kan. A few minutes ago, the Olathe City Council approved an agreement to bring Google Fiber to their city. Olathe has become one of the fastest-growing cities in Kansas and has attracted an influx of new businesses and residents. They’ve all noticed what a great community Olathe is, and so have we. We think that Fiber and widespread Internet access will help to create jobs, grow local businesses, and make Olathe even stronger as it grows.

They need to come east! Gorramit! I have fiber, but it is SLOOOOOW fiber. That and i have a google data center right up the road from me. Throw a dog a bone, google! :D

yes! now this is a free market at work!! and all it takes is $100 million for lawyers and lobbyist to rewrite local/state/fed law to allow competition

I heard from a reliable source that Google will be bringing it's fiber to Atlanta in the near future.

Hell yes. Now they just need to finish up Kansas City. I've been waiting for them to reach my neighborhood for almost a year now.

I guess I will have to go visit my sister in Olathe if she decides to get Google Fiber. Then I will decide if it is worth moving there!! :D

Clearly you people haven't lived in Texas yet.

Remember that Texas is two entities ... there is the People's Republic of Austin, and then the rest of the state :p ... and luckily neither is anything like rural Mississippi, Alabama, or Louisiana (where their state motto's are "Y'all got a purty mouth" I think) :eek: ... :cool:

Google as my ISP is a terrifying notion. Its one thing to roll over for the government like they all do. Its another when you're looking to exploit what I do for your own gains.

Google as my ISP is a terrifying notion. Its one thing to roll over for the government like they all do. Its another when you're looking to exploit what I do for your own gains.

What's wrong with that? Uncle Google has been giving you things out of kindness like Android, Chrome, browser toolbars, desktop search software, a Google+, and Gmail for years in an effort to offer services in exchange for exploitation. You clearly need to work on your Stockholm Syndrome quite a bit so you worship me for all the good things I do for society. Buy Google Glass like the other lambs! :mad:

I tellya wat. :p

Remember that Texas is two entities ... there is the People's Republic of Austin, and then the rest of the state :p ... and luckily neither is anything like rural Mississippi, Alabama, or Louisiana (where their state motto's are "Y'all got a purty mouth" I think) :eek: ... :cool:

I almost feel bad for the three or four rational people living in the south who don't use butchered English to speak and bought a car instead of a redneck pickup truck having to deal with the reputation the bumpkins around them force them to endure.

Why would you want to go to a redneck hillbilly city like Kansas City? Nothing but rolling timberweeds

Ever visited? It's actually going through a pretty remarkable arts/entertainment renaissance right now, across the spectrum. It's got more to offer than many think.

I almost feel bad for the three or four rational people living in the south who don't use butchered English to speak and bought a car instead of a redneck pickup truck having to deal with the reputation the bumpkins around them force them to endure.

Hey now, Alabama is a great place! The view you have accounts for a very small percent of the state. :)

Plus you can call English from any other place than where you live as "butchered" Just look at accents up north, etc..
/end rant

Back on topic, I would Love to drop Charter for some Google Fiber

Ever visited? It's actually going through a pretty remarkable arts/entertainment renaissance right now, across the spectrum. It's got more to offer than many think.

Ever visited? What kind of question is that? Of course, that's why I said, "redneck hillbilly city like Kansas City" :eek:

I am spoiled to live in a market where FiOS and Comcast compete with each other, leading to better than average prices for much higher than average data speeds, so in a way I am very supportive of Google first going into under served markets.

That being said, I would REALLY like it if they came to the Boston area :p

Rural AL does get more redneck, but the bigger cities are nothing like that for the most part.

Remember, the people in Huntsville, AL are the ones who sent you to the moon. Rocket City FTW.

Rural AL does get more redneck, but the bigger cities are nothing like that for the most part.

Remember, the people in Huntsville, AL are the ones who sent you to the moon. Rocket City FTW.

It's because people in the south let you shoot things and blow shit up as a child. It instills the wonder and drive to find new and better ways to shoot shit and blow shit up. Both of which are critical to rocket tech :p

I'd like the Atlanta rumor to be true. Comcast needs its butt kicked in gear because AT&T doesn't care to compete.

Yes, Google uses data harvested from us in order to make a profit from their products.

It's part of the tradeoff. You get a free (or much cheaper than otherwise possible) product and in exchange you participate in a certain level of data sharing.

They also have a solid privacy policy, and are very clear about how they do and don't use data. It is automatically processed and anonymized and used for statistical purposes and ad delivery. No one is ever "reading your email" or anything like that.

Google realizes full well that if they ever have a big privacy scandal it could be catastrophic to their business model, so it is in their definite interest to keep that from happening.

While I DO trust Google (as much as I trust any profit incentivized global corporation) I do not trust other players in the personal information market (like facebook and Apple) as they have shown far worse judgment.

I would switch to Google fiber in a SECOND if it came this way.

Hey now, Alabama is a great place! The view you have accounts for a very small percent of the state. :)

Plus you can call English from any other place than where you live as "butchered" Just look at accents up north, etc..
/end rant

Back on topic, I would Love to drop Charter for some Google Fiber

All of the areas have butchered english. The midwest is arguable the area with the least amount of butchering that goes on.

Why would you want to go to a redneck hillbilly city like Kansas City? Nothing but rolling timberweeds
I live in KCMO.
You obviously have never been there. Its anything but redneck hillbilly. In fact, its quite the opposite. White people are the minority among those living within city limits.
Our downtown was just completely overhauled with a new entertainment district and new entertainment arena. The football and baseball stadiums have all been recently renovated despite the shitty teams. Kansas Speedway was put in a few years ago with a massive entertainment district right next to it. North Kansas City is growing exponentially in size. Kansas City Kansas is having a small business boom with Kansas City Missouri (bigger and older of the 2 for those geographically ignorant) right behind. Google coming in and laying down fiber cheaply for businesses helps, and they are even installing it for free for several schools in the area.

Combine our growing economy, growing populace, and a cost of living much lower than everywhere else in the country (nearly half of NY or CA), and you got a damn fine place to live. You don't like it, stay out and continue to think of us as a hillbilly town. This town is in the center of this country, almost everything crossing the country has to go through us leaving our little city as the profitable middleman.:p

Google Fiber is an example of the free market working. The goal is to get things done without tax dollars. The existing ISPs were so bad at competing that Google is able to beat their products by 10 times, they've shown that the industry doesn't need tax dollars, it needs better management and planning.

-I am an engineer for a nationwide ISP that is one of the ones lacking in bandwidth.

Then you will also be happy to know that a significant portion of the federal government records are stored here in Kansas City in our massive nuclear proof limestone caves. Google won't have to travel far to get all your personal records and upload them at Gigabit speeds.

Muwahahahaha! :p

/tinfoil hat

Back