• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Google and the FCC

Tim

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
May 4, 2000
Messages
5,176
Google is being targeted by certain members of the House Telecommunications Subcommittee regarding its conduct during the recent auction of the wireless frequency. According to a few Congressman, Google acted in bad faith during the auction.

This, they contend, deprived taxpayers of billions of dollars, because Google didn't have to win the auction to achieve its goal, and because other major bidders -- including AT&T as well as Verizon Wireless -- were reluctant to offer more because the "open access" provision would deny them the monopoly right to sell electronics that operate on those frequencies.

Never mind that AT&T and other Cable Interests are these Congressmen's biggest campaign contributors.
 
Let me make sure I have this straight.

1. Verizon and AT&T had no intention of going over the magic dollar figure themselves.

2. Had Google not bid, the auction would have resulted in less money received by the FCC for the spectrum.

3. Because Google DID bid, and bid over the magic dollar amount, the government received MORE money than they otherwise would have.

Can someone please tell me how the GOVERNMENT was deprived of money here?
 
I never really got the impression that the US government was run for profit. As such, isn't it the first thing to look at when it comes to depriving taxpayers of billions of dollars?
 
AT&T is each of the lawmaker's top career campaign contributor, donating more than $200,000 to the candidates during their tenures in office, according to the Center For Responsive Politics' OpensSecrets.org [sic] website. Verizon, BellSouth, and the National Cable and Telecommunications Association, the principal trade association of the cable television industry, we [sic] other major campaign contributors.

You know, I was going to make a sarcastic takeoff of the first line of this article, which says that these three Congressmen have the fact that they're all on the House Telecom Committee in common, and say that they all probably have received "campaign donations" from AT&T and Verizon. But yeah, there it is.

F--- the Senate, F--- the House, F--- corrupt politicians.
 
Interesting that wired mentioned the party of the rep that defended the actions of google, but yet didn't id the party of the ones that are so aghast of it, so I'll put it to light: THEY'RE DEMOCRAT so again, those least educated in the politics of business, get to chastise those IN business. When will this country learn not to bite the hand that pays the bills?

Mike
 
I'm an idiot. The folks complaining about this are all REPUBLICANS. So I guess the point of this post was to point out that only republicans are corrupt. In this specific case, its correct. Bite the hand that feeds til no blood is left. I can't wait for someone to pay for my house too! But I have a job, does that mean I have to quit?
 
Well seeing as I have AT&T for my home phone, internet, and cell; I suspect that they are going to do what any business would do and jack up my rates to cover the expense, thanks google :mad:
 
^^^ Numb nuts, AT&T didn't have to bid.. They could have let Google have it. They alone are responsible for any rate hike you might see! No one is forcing you to use AT&T as your provider either.:rolleyes: One day you tards are gonna learn. YOU, control these companies with your wallet!
 
This is pretty short-sighted. Even if Verizon would have upped their bid to 10 billion it wouldn't make a huge difference in the overall budget. Last I saw the budget for 2007 was almost 2 trillion (can't find a link, could be wrong). By Google doing what Google did, they ensured that consumers would be getting the lowest prices for the equipment to use that spectrum. Verizon itself is nearly a 100 billion dollar a year company, and I bet that a decent chunk of that comes from cellphone hardware sales.

The officials bringing the charges against Google sound like a petulant child. Google literally gave the government that sum of money, but since Google's own cash reserve's weren't dented the official's are complaining. Because the only way that I know something is benefitting me is when it hurts someone else...right?

Idiots.
 
This, they contend, deprived taxpayers of billions of dollars, because Google didn't have to win the auction to achieve its goal, and because other major bidders -- including AT&T as well as Verizon Wireless -- were reluctant to offer more because the "open access" provision would deny them the monopoly right to sell electronics that operate on those frequencies.

That's what it all comes down to right there. The Telecoms buy politicians to get them these kinds of abusable positions. Google foiled their plan and now they're mad.
 
greed, corruption. ugh

It's the old hat again. Now I will ask an open forum question.

Do you believe that U.S. government Officials have become more corrupt over the years, or less?
You could write a whole thesis on the subject.
The general consensus among scholars is, the politicians haven't really changed the game plan in one hundred years. Public awareness has risen collectively as we enter the information age.

Now, the real question is, When are we gonna start doing something about it. ;)

My personal opinion is anyone running for office shouldn't be there. Donald Duck for President!!
 
I'm confused......

government supported monopoly???? Huh??? I thought this was about competition?

I suspect that there are a few democrats that reap the benefits as well.:D

I'm not surprised though, politics is nothing more than supplying our money to the companies that have the best lobby, the most perks,girls,you name it.
It's all because of career politicians and lawyers. :eek:
 
It was an open auction, the marketplace has spoken, the amount paid was what it was worth... no more no less, by definition.

Fuck Daffy or any of that Disney scum... BUGS BUNNY for President!!! :eek::rolleyes::p

Here's a clue.... all of congress are corrupt scum, they must all go. At the next election EVERYONE vote out the incumbant regardless of party affiliation. That would at least be a start.
 
So someone explain this to me, they brought in twice what they predicted the auctions would bring in, BUT after they were all said and done they predicted they'd bring in a few more billion if it wasn't for google's "shnanigans"
 
I think its because they went over the amount.

And by going over the magic amount no one has to pay anything and its now a open market.
 
Its because google triggered the open access rules by bidding over a specific ammount. So now AT&T and Verizon must allow any subscriber to use any unlocked device with their service.

This is "robbing" telecommunications companies from all the money they'd make by selling phones to new subscribers.
 
Alright, so they went over the amount... they bid more to trigger open access. Google didn't win, someone else bid more than Google. Alright lets absorb this for a second... if Google didn't bid, AT&T/Verizon are bitching and moaning, they would have bid more... but if they bid more wouldn't they also have gone over that "open access" threshold? Or does that provision only apply if Google bid over a certain amount? In which case those who set the auction up need to look at themselves for putting such a silly provision that only applies to one company.
 
All I have to say is goolge did morally the right thing and that what gets the gov't, because good morals have nothing to do with good business and good gov't. Google FTW!
 
Back
Top