Google Acquires BumpTop

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
Google has purchased BumpTop, which was just released to the public January of this year. Would be a pretty cool feature for Android OS. :cool:

"BumpTop is a desktop replacement that aims to replicate a real world desktop, where items are organized in a more haphazard fashion as opposed to snapping to unseen grids."

I miss progman.exe :( When Win95 came out I used that instead of explorer.exe lol It was far less crashy too!

I remember seeing a demo of this a while back. Would be pretty cool to have on a smartphone.

They buy it and immediately make it no longer available.for sale and announce no future updates. Sounds an awful lot like Apple and Lala.

It's a bit different than Apple + Lala. Lala was a competitor to iTunes, and Apple just bought them and shut them down.

However, I think Google may want to re-engineer this for use on Android / Chrome OS for tablet desktop purposes. Perhaps they don't want to provide support for the program on Windows / Mac.

Their announcement reads like, "Great news, our program is discontinued! Isn't that great, customers?"

Apple/Lala was straight up anticompetitive. Google can actually do something new with the people and software at BumpTop. So that's why I think this is a different situation.

I tried bump-top. Liked it for all of 15 minutes, and then it just became annoying.
Plus, the limited customization was rough...

I dig Bump-top, but I generally have a really clean desktop anyway, so I'm not sure it's for me.

Why would anyone want a piece of software that makes their filing system less organized? I thought that was one of the major advantages of a computer?

Since Vista and Win 7 I don't have anything on my desktop anymore. Everything is either on the taskbar and a simple search away. I would never want anything that puts files back onto the desktop, especially into the manner this is.

Seems like a regression. The idea of throwing stuff though for touch based systems would be decent if it snapped to a grid at the end or premade areas might be interesting. Maybe....

This would be great for tablets and touch screens, but with a mouse and windows 7, there's really no need.

Why would anyone want a piece of software that makes their filing system less organized? I thought that was one of the major advantages of a computer?

Have you looked at other people's start menus?:p

They been trying to disorganize our desktops for as long as we have had desktops. Nothing has ever been released that actually has been of any use.

Remember in the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley where Bill Gates see what Apple is doing and then later copies it? Bet you something like this will happen with Googles BumpTop.

My tm2 Tablet PC came with BumpTop and I think it's crap. Slow, ugly and just useless. If Google puts some resources into it they can probably get something decent out of it but I just don't see it being all that useful and productive beyond a traditional desktop UI like Windows 7, which actually with it's touch enhancements is a decent touch screen OS on a 12.1" Screen at least like the tm2. BumpTop just feels like it's in my way.

Google Acquires BumbTop: Early 2010
Google Acquires Microsoft: Late 2011
Google Acquires the Large Hadron Collider: December 1st, 2012

:p:p:p

Buy Android, android is the best for phones (honestly)

Google Acquires BumbTop: Early 2010
Google Acquires Microsoft: Late 2011
Google Acquires the Large Hadron Collider: December 1st, 2012

:p:p:p

Everyone use Android seriously, android is the best for phones! (its free to phone makers) (honestly)[/QUOTE]

Back