Goodbye PCIe4

killroy67

[H]ard|Gawd
The newest bios for Gigabyte boards F42A now removes PCIe4 from the chipset due to Agesa 1003ABB. Too bad no one really got to do a official test of it to my knowledge. I think that would of been interesting to see the results. There was a lot of speculation but no definitive answers.

If it did work and work well and AMD did it to protect their X570 chipset, well you be the judge. As of now PCIe 4 is the only thing really separating the X570 from the X470.

I was more surprised that it worked than I am that they disabled the function. I can't blame them really, I don't think it was a greed factor but if a board isn't certified for that standard, it's probably unwise to allow it to function at those higher speeds particularly when it comes to storage and potential data loss

People did test it and it worked great in most cases.
I think they should make a final bios where you can choose to have it or not on boards that are compatible. Some are clearly on first slot, as was originally said.

Not sure why people are whining about this. It's just a coolness factor is all. Hey look I got a dated chipset but still have PCI-E 4.0. Start using actual PCI-E 4.0 devices and I/O and you could be in a fire situation, especially some of the weak heatsinks that are on the southbridge on boards.

I see this as more of a safety protection. I really don't trust the firmwares especially Gigabyte uses to be trust worthy.

Not sure why people are whining about this. It's just a coolness factor is all. Hey look I got a dated chipset but still have PCI-E 4.0. Start using actual PCI-E 4.0 devices and I/O and you could be in a fire situation, especially some of the weak heatsinks that are on the southbridge on boards.

I see this as more of a safety protection. I really don't trust the firmwares especially Gigabyte uses to be trust worthy.

Who is whining? I could care less if it PCIe 4 is available or not. I see no real benefit to having it at this time, I just thought it would be interesting to see it in action on the X470. As far as starting a fire that seems a little over the top.

Last edited:
It's ok.... As long as I still can have the features I paid for. Nothing worse than an update that nerfs the hardwares proposed features.

If I wanted pci4, I'd upgrade.

Plus, give it time. A workaround may show one day.

People did test it and it worked great in most cases.

Right. The thing is, Joe Average user cannot test this.

While it may look to be functioning correctly to the desktop user, electronically it may not be the case. It’s like a marginal overclock, 80% of the time the processor may be able to error correct and get correct answers, but sometimes it will fail.

A motherboard manufacturer (or AMD) cannot be expected to deal with the potential support issues around this. The only way around this that I can see is “unsupported - use this feature at your own risk” - with NVME, you may be risking your data, is that worthwhile for a tiny bit of performance you can’t see?

I thought that was odd that I installed the latest bios and agesa, the one that clearly indicated they were taking it away, and low and behold. My 5700xt is still in 4.0 mode in GPUz. WOOHOO! Not that it even matters.

That is on my Aorus b450 mATX board.

BTW Where TF are all the x570 mATX boards for crying out loud?

BTW Where TF are all the x570 mATX boards for crying out loud?

There is one singular mATX X570 mobo from ASRock...

Word on the street is that mATX is a dead platform...

EDIT - I spoke too soon... Biostar is coming out with a mATX X570 mobo...

So now there are a whopping TWO mATX X570 mobos out there...!

You might get lucky and Asrock does another TR mATX board for the refresh, the current one is actually a premium board unlike all the AM4 that are budget.

Though the X399 boards should work with the next TR after a bios update anyways.

There is one singular mATX X570 mobo from ASRock...

Word on the street is that mATX is a dead platform...

EDIT - I spoke too soon... Biostar is coming out with a mATX X570 mobo...

So now there are a whopping TWO mATX X570 mobos out there...!

The thing is it's not though as many OEMs use that platform (Dell, etc.). I'm guessing it has more to do with the chipset as many OEMs tend to use lower end chipsets and are probably waiting for B550.

Back