Goodbye ATI, I'm coming over boys and girls

I used my fairshare of both products in the course of the year, until my Xfire 5850, it has shut me off completly from AMD/ATI. Lost audio on HDMI two time with 2 drivers etc etc.. i sold my setup back then and bought two 460 and had only 1 problem in 1 game in 2 years... I now sold off those and i'll buy a 680 soon or during the summer..

or the people who don't have problems with their drivers aren't nearly as vocal as those that do?

The issue I have with this whole thing, is if you don't think Nvidia has better drivers you are a fan boy, even if you think they are equal, you are still an AMD fanboy.

That a vocal minority is assumed representative of everyone is beyond silly. You know how many people that don't ever use AMD vidcards voted in that poll? How many of them had a Rage Fury MaXX 15 years ago and are still holding a grudge? A poll on a forum isn't reality, no matter how hard the green side needs to push it.

I don't get emotional over my videocards, I don't prefer one side or the other, but I gotta tell you, Nvidia people annoy me way more than ATI people.

I used my fairshare of both products in the course of the year, until my Xfire 5850, it has shut me off completly from AMD/ATI. Lost audio on HDMI two time with 2 drivers etc etc.. i sold my setup back then and bought two 460 and had only 1 problem in 1 game in 2 years... I now sold off those and i'll buy a 680 soon or during the summer..

Is that a xFire/SLi thing though? The 5850 in my sig is going on two years old with no issue thus far. I've also got experience with a 5750, 5830 (sig) and a 6870. None of these have given me any problems. But again, these are all single card setups.

I'm one of the many that simply doesn't have the money to buy brand new cars every generation. I want to get another year out of my 5850. BUT, that being said I wouldn't have bought the new 7xxx series of AMD cards anyway. I would have waited to see what people had to say. Even though I wasn't planning on buying one I was still curious to see what people had to say and it seems there's an alarming number of people that have had issues with the drivers.

A recent poll on this site showed people favor NVIDIA drivers nearly 7 to 1.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1683315

So that's over 70 people right here that have experience in the matter. So no need to bash the OP over his decision, it seems most people agree.

37% also say they're about equal. It depends on how you want to read the poll. Not to mention the piddly numbers we're talking about concerning the grand scheme of consumers out there purchasing GPU's.

Want to make clear that I'm not a fanboi of either, though. I have no doubt the 7xxx series drivers have their problems, and in my opinion using [H]ard forum as a source it's obvious. But again, I too have owned both brands without much trouble from either. Actually been very pleased with both.

A recent poll on this site showed people favor NVIDIA drivers nearly 7 to 1.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1683315

So that's over 70 people right here that have experience in the matter. So no need to bash the OP over his decision, it seems most people agree.

that's not true,
72 people voted NV, 12 people Voted AMD, and 50 people voted they are the same, that doesn't mean the 70 people are right, it means 70 people voted,

I'm willing to bet a good portion of the people who voted for either camp have never used their drivers, or haven't used them in the last couple of years and are just voting because of 1) fanboism, or 2) that's what they read/heard.

Nobody says drivers shouldn't be important...you just don't have to be a rabid fan boy about it. And what is not "satisfactory" to you may be alright with everyone else.

Of course, I never said everyone should agree with me or follow my standards ;)

Just saying that driver support is an important consideration. You mentioned about someone not being able to play a specific game properly due to driver and I was referring to that. There's no need to label them as being "butt hurt" because it is a valid factor to be taken into consideration even if its just one game.

What's satisfactory to you may not be the same to me, so everyone is free to have their own standard. Its not like you need my permission to decide which company to go for, so it doesn't matter what's my standard. :) For me, early multi GPU support for new games and WHQL drivers are among the factors that matters. Again, this is just for me.

that's not true,
72 people voted NV, 12 people Voted AMD

Like I said, nearly 7 to 1. Also just because you disagree with their vote, does not make them wrong. Either way you don't have to just take the OPs word for it, that poll backs up why he made the switch. All the people trying to do damage control are only making the situation worse.

Like I said, nearly 7 to 1. Also just because you disagree with their vote, does not make them wrong. Either way you don't have to just take the OPs word for it, that poll backs up why he made the switch. All the people trying to do damage control are only making the situation worse.

What about the people that say they're equal? Besides, the poll is very broad. All it asks is which you think is better. Just because one is better doesn't mean the other sucks.

When I took the poll nVidia only had a 16% swing in their favor as being better compared to equal.

lol

LOL...way to skew the poles to whatever you want and leave out the rest you don't like. I think 70+ votes should be taken as fact so everyone can relax now cuz we have a winner....

Like I said, nearly 7 to 1. Also just because you disagree with their vote, does not make them wrong. Either way you don't have to just take the OPs word for it, that poll backs up why he made the switch. All the people trying to do damage control are only making the situation worse

-sarcasim- Yeah based on a random poll with no specific question beyond which a person 'likes better', It has to be legit.
I mean the numbers dont lie. SO OBVIOUSLY! Kyle is lieing about his problems with 680SLi..-Sarcasim-
Jesus christ...

-sarcasim- Yeah based on a random poll with no specific question beyond which a person 'likes better', It has to be legit.
I mean the numbers dont lie. SO OBVIOUSLY! Kyle is lieing about his problems with 680SLi..-Sarcasim-
Jesus christ...

Read this article and then get back to me.

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/01/17/amd_crossfirex_drivers_opportunity_lost/

Has AMD learned from past mistakes? We thought so, but at this early stage of new Radeon HD 7970 AMD may be falling back into the usual practices when it comes to driver support

PRMIE1 the people that have been here a while know your very bias'd towards Nvidia cards so no matter what you say nobody gives a shit that knows better. The only thing you may end up doing is getting banned for starting flame bait threads like this.

Actually AMD CFX has been pretty damn solid lately. Way more usable than SLI has been for me. Still working through those issues.

You'll be happy with the 580. I switched over to a GTX 570 from a HD 6850. The 6850 was great, but for some reason it would blue screen during certain games. However, now I had been getting the "drivers stopped working" thing from my 570. Then that problem stopped for a while. I don't know, I'm willing to try a 7970 maybe this time around.

I thought a pair of 680s was going into your personal system because you felt that it was just "smoother" in play?

Kyle and Brent are Yin and Yang :p

I know this is the nvidia forum and please don't yell at me for saying this, most of the new releases this year have had day 1 support from AMD, which wasn't the case during the 5870 days. They're getting better. In fact, AMD had alan wake dual gpu support before nvidia did.

*ducks*. For what its worth, I switch back and forth a lot and find a lot to like about both sides. For a new purchase, 680s are the way to go but 7970s are pretty damn awesome too especially if you overclock.

Stick with the single fastest cards and you wont have multiGPU issues which ALWAYS seem to exist.

I tolerated all those issues for some time, but the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me was the stunt AMD pulled with renumbering the Radeon HD series between the 5000 and 6000 generations.

If you aren't familiar with the stunt to which I am referring, AMD changed the relevance of the 3-digit suffixes when they retired the ATI brand and began branding Radeons as AMD Radeons.

Prior to that, you could expect that the successive generation would surpass the prior in the same series. For example, a 5850 would be a direct upgrade to the 4850, but the 4870 would give a 5850 a run for its money. However, a 5870 would be an upgrade to the 4870, and so on.

With the 6000 series, the 30, 50, 70 and 90 designations stepped down one series. This resulted in the upgrade to the 5850 being the 6870; a 5850 outperformed a 6850, and a 5870 outperformed a 6870. And not to an insignificant degree.

AMD's justification for this was that it lowered the entry point for "high-end" graphics. The translation was: You're getting the same performance for your money, you just get the warm fuzzy feeling of having a higher number on your card."

Where were you when the 9800 GT was released?

I dropped ATI several years ago when they first introduced X-Fire. Spent over $1k on the cards and nothing worked as advertised. Crappy drivers as well. Nvidia has given me very limited to no problems. Just my experience.

Lots of fanboyfelatio in this thread. I bet 99% is user error, junk unstable computers or software conflict. I've used both no issues. There is no controlled study saying one is worse. I can't think of a better testament to thier excellence than professional reviewers use both without hesitation in their personal systems and they get cards for free by the tray load so they can use anything they want. I will say cat drivers seemed bloaty. RAM use went up by like 250MB after I installed..

Ok, just to update. I got my 580 yesterday and promptly removed the AMD drivers and yanked both 6850's out, installed the new 580 and installed the 301.24 beta drivers. No problems installing. Fired up BF3 and set everything to Ultra and I was like "DAMN", this game is beautiful.

On WoW, I deleted my WTF folder so it would reset all my UI to default. Fired it up and no shimmering or artifacting. Mind you I was getting artifacts in WoW with the Xfire 6850's and also with just a single 6850 so it was the AMD driver and not just because they were in Xfire.

Started up SWTOR and for the first time, I was able to play without Microstutter. I know that was caused by Xfire.

Bottom line is that AMD Xfire is such a pain in the ass and such a coin flip on getting it to work right that I will never miss it. I love my new card and I am happy that I have no more driver issues. I can finally play my games and enjoy them rather than pulling my hair out.

BTW, if you never played BF3 with the "colorblind" option, you should try it.

Also install this: http://www.enterbf3.com/topic/6929-fxaa-injectorcolour-enhancer/

Ok, just to update. I got my 580 yesterday and promptly removed the AMD drivers and yanked both 6850's out, installed the new 580 and installed the 301.24 beta drivers. No problems installing. Fired up BF3 and set everything to Ultra and I was like "DAMN", this game is beautiful.

On WoW, I deleted my WTF folder so it would reset all my UI to default. Fired it up and no shimmering or artifacting. Mind you I was getting artifacts in WoW with the Xfire 6850's and also with just a single 6850 so it was the AMD driver and not just because they were in Xfire.

Started up SWTOR and for the first time, I was able to play without Microstutter. I know that was caused by Xfire.

Bottom line is that AMD Xfire is such a pain in the ass and such a coin flip on getting it to work right that I will never miss it. I love my new card and I am happy that I have no more driver issues. I can finally play my games and enjoy them rather than pulling my hair out.

BTW, if you never played BF3 with the "colorblind" option, you should try it.

Also install this: http://www.enterbf3.com/topic/6929-fxaa-injectorcolour-enhancer/

If you're going to compare driver stability you need to at least be fair about it. You can't have used AMD drivers in xfire then use nVidia drivers on a single card and say the nVidia driver is so much more stable. The inherant nature of dual GPU's alone would make a single GPU setup less buggy and more stable.

How much did you pay for your 580, if you paid around $400 you could have paid about $50 more for a 7950, overclocked, and had a better card.

Back