Goodbye ASUS

I have been using ASUS and GB boards for 10 years now, and have had a few go out, and both companies have always been quick with RMA issues.

Of course, I keep receipts etc and I don't use my boards for plates to eat pizza, or take a hammer to the socket, or whatever some of you are doing to get denied RMAs.

thanks. I was doing some work for a friend who owns a sign shop and has this giant inkjet printer, a Roland Soljet, and he printed this pic for me on it.

Didn't you sell that car?

i've been using asus boards since abit left the scene.i have countless friends still using there boards dating back to athlon-conroe systems still in use today.as for asrock i would'nt take one of there boards if it was given to me.

As for asrock i would'nt take one of there boards if it was given to me.

Thats a shame, because they make decent boards. I myself wouldn't touch a Gigabyte board, but others have good experience with them, so I understand. Asrock used to be a pretty bargain-bin manufacturer back when they were owned by Asus, but ten or so years after they've become separated, they make some damn good and damn competitively priced boards. As I've said, I've built hundreds of machines using Asrock boards, and at least 70 using the Z77 Extreme 4 alone. I've never had major issues, and the issues I've had have all been resolved promptly. Asus boards, by contrast, had more issues per capita. So I ditched them and tried out Gigabyte. Gigabyte had MORE issues, and their RMA service in Australia literally does not exist, so I tried Asrock out of experimentation and damn, not a bad brand. I just recently purchased the X99 WS and look forward to building with it.

With regard to Asus: not mentioned in my sig, but nearly ALL my systems use Asus boards, mostly because I purchases/salvaged these systems back when I still supplied Asus to my customers. I haven't built a new personal rig in a LONG time, and Asus's RMA issues have become more and more relevant since then...

I'm building a new PC this year. After seeing all the issues with Asus RMA service, I cant afford to be out of a PC for months/years while Asus plays board-pong by sending me faulty boards again and again. Even if the failure rate was as low as 1 in 100 (spoiler alert: it isn't) it would be a 1 in 100 chance of me putting $300-$500 down a drain, as their warranty service is as good as being mugged. Just have a look at the USA's BBB claims in the other thread, with a nationwide notice on THE EXACT ISSUES EVERYONE HAS BEEN CITING, The shortcomings of Asus's RMA service are no longer anecdotal: they are factual, measurable, relevant and disappointing.

I never bought Asus due to their huge price increase over the competition.
Was a huge Abit fan until they went under, last 3 builds were Gigabyte and no issues.

Gigabyte keeps up with bios/drivers but only for a year or two then nothing.

They never even finalized the last bios for my Z87 board, it's still "beta" but it works.

Thats a shame, because they make decent boards. I myself wouldn't touch a Gigabyte board, but others have good experience with them, so I understand. Asrock used to be a pretty bargain-bin manufacturer back when they were owned by Asus, but ten or so years after they've become separated, they make some damn good and damn competitively priced boards. As I've said, I've built hundreds of machines using Asrock boards, and at least 70 using the Z77 Extreme 4 alone. I've never had major issues, and the issues I've had have all been resolved promptly. Asus boards, by contrast, had more issues per capita. So I ditched them and tried out Gigabyte. Gigabyte had MORE issues, and their RMA service in Australia literally does not exist, so I tried Asrock out of experimentation and damn, not a bad brand. I just recently purchased the X99 WS and look forward to building with it.

With regard to Asus: not mentioned in my sig, but nearly ALL my systems use Asus boards, mostly because I purchases/salvaged these systems back when I still supplied Asus to my customers. I haven't built a new personal rig in a LONG time, and Asus's RMA issues have become more and more relevant since then...

I'm building a new PC this year. After seeing all the issues with Asus RMA service, I cant afford to be out of a PC for months/years while Asus plays board-pong by sending me faulty boards again and again. Even if the failure rate was as low as 1 in 100 (spoiler alert: it isn't) it would be a 1 in 100 chance of me putting $300-$500 down a drain, as their warranty service is as good as being mugged. Just have a look at the USA's BBB claims in the other thread, with a nationwide notice on THE EXACT ISSUES EVERYONE HAS BEEN CITING, The shortcomings of Asus's RMA service are no longer anecdotal: they are factual, measurable, relevant and disappointing.

I wouldn't use ASRock's lower end offerings. Frankly, their build quality in that segment still scares me. On other boards they have definitely improved and are now very competitive. Their Extreme series and medium-high end and workstation motherboards are good and seemingly getting better all the time.

And again, I'm hearing better things about ASUS' RMA service lately. They are working towards improving but they have a long way to go to repair their reputation in that area.

If I had to choose between cancer and Asus RMA, I'd choose cancer.

It'll finish the job and probably sooner than Asus RMA will.

Last 3 boards were DFI, ASRock and ASRock X99. 0 issues.

The price point for Asus is too much for too little

Asus once screwed me and my friend with a bad bios update. They released a BIOS that was no good and didn't work. Both a friend and I flashed it and the boards no longer posted. Asus's support admitted the BIOS was no good, but wouldn't even send us replacement BIOS chips. We had to pay badbios to send us newly flashed chips.

Asus once screwed me and my friend with a bad bios update. They released a BIOS that was no good and didn't work. Both a friend and I flashed it and the boards no longer posted. Asus's support admitted the BIOS was no good, but wouldn't even send us replacement BIOS chips. We had to pay badbios to send us newly flashed chips.

That's fucked up if true. I had the same thing happen and they sent a new BIOS ROM. I went through normal CS channels rather than going through our ASUS contacts. I had zero issue getting the new chip. And hell that's the reason WHY ASUS still uses socketed BIOS ROMs.

Why would you flash both boards at the same time without first verifying that the BIOS worked? If you flashed one and it caused a no POST, you could have then fired up the other board into the BIOS, removed the BIOS chip, and installed the one from the other board and then reflashed it to a working one.

Easy as pie.

What about flashback?

I am not condoning ASUS' actions, just wondering why precautions were not taken in the first place.

Again, because of my over decade long great track record with ASUS mobo's, I'll still continue to buy them. No fucking way i'll ever touch a gigabyte

Why would you flash both boards at the same time without first verifying that the BIOS worked? If you flashed one and it caused a no POST, you could have then fired up the other board into the BIOS, removed the BIOS chip, and installed the one from the other board and then reflashed it to a working one.

Easy as pie.

What about flashback?

I am not condoning ASUS' actions, just wondering why precautions were not taken in the first place.

It depends on the motherboard and how old it was. BIOS Flashback as a feature only dates back so far.

Dude, you should get some kind of award for dogging ASUS until they finally did you right.:D

LOL.

After having contact with 5 different departments about it, I sure hope something changes.

online chat, social support, escalations, RMA, and components support.

What a huge mess... maybe if more people start hounding them about sending them broken stuff they will take a hint. Will be cheaper for them in the end to just do it right the first time.

i've been using asus boards since abit left the scene.i have countless friends still using there boards dating back to athlon-conroe systems still in use today.as for asrock i would'nt take one of there boards if it was given to me.

I'd take asrock over Asus any day of the week. Built about 4 dozen systems with their boards between this year and last and they have been extremely responsive when emailing them regarding bios or tech support issues. Only 2 boards have had to be returned and they were super responsive and did right by me and my clients.

Compared to Asus which has only been nothing but trouble when dealing with returns or customer support. Asus is hands down been one of the worst regarding customer support.

I've dealt with ASUS only once and that was because my tablet went belly up just after 2 months. I called them, ASUS said to send in the tablet. 3 weeks later I had the tablet back. So not too bad of a turnaround time I guess.

I've had ok luck out of ASUS motherboard support but the laptop support, oh man. I sent my G750JH in for defective keyboard, came back with blown "subwoofer". I sent it in again, they fixed that but disabled the stock RAID0 array when they reinstalled Windows.

ASRock look nice, but I wouldn't buy one. DFI? Well.......let's say that THANK GOD they went out of business.

I'm just hoping that for the Z170, nobody buys eVGA boards, otherwise let's be prepared for the motherboard forum side to be flooded with "issues" with their set up.

eVGA and nFarce days anyone? Yeah.....nVidia learned their lesson as well, just like VIA. Companies, sooner or later they learned.

Price point too little? I compared and compared boards, once again ASUS wins. MSI and Gigabyte are nice/good boards too.

EVGA has made some questionable motherboards in the past but the 680SLi motherboards were always Nvidias fault. It was it's horrible reference design which was repackaged and sold with many names on them. The chipset silicon was poorly QC'ed and was flat out trash. This helped to ensure non-reference biaeds were shit too. To make matters worse even non-reference boards had BIOS base code Nvidia developed by Nvidia which couldn't be modified enough to stop sucking whale cock.

You can blame EVGA for thin PCBs and poor QC, coupled with shit firmware but the nightmare called the 680SLi motherboard was the fault of Nvidia's design. Even Foxconn, who actually built the boards lies mostly blameless as they just built the design they were given.

Back