Good virus protection

UberPooner

Limp Gawd
Hi, i am looking into getting a good virus protection. ive had norton for a while and had not to many problems with it. is it good? is there better software out there? oh and what do you guys think about programs like spy sweeper and registry booster?\

-thanks

God damnet, there are at LEAST 100 threads about this. SEARCH!

Anyway, NOD32 if you can let go of a little cash. Otherwise AVG or Avast!

GJSNeptune said:
God damnet, there are at LEAST 100 threads about this. SEARCH!

Anyway, NOD32 if you can let go of a little cash. Otherwise AVG or Avast!

Well, we found common ground, whaddya know... QFT on both counts, with NOD32 being the tie breaker...

I currently use AVG for about a year now. AVG 7.5 atm. And so far, haven't been getting into any virus problems. Thumbs up here.

Get Kaspersky or NOD. If you live near a Target they have an av called DefenderPro, which is a rebadged Kaspersky for only $25. AVG is great until you actually get a virus and you figure out AVG cant remove it! For the free stuff,go with Avira, it has better detection rates than AVG

LarryC said:
I am using none on my new desktop. I don't have a need for it.
Oh no...not another one. :rolleyes: I hope you mean you are running Linux or OSX then.

punkkloser said:
If you live near a Target they have an av called DefenderPro, which is a rebadged Kaspersky for only $25.
Or, you can get NOD32 for $39.00, and you don't have to drive to Target.

I am using none on my new desktop. I don't have a need for it.
That must be nice:rolleyes:

djnes said:
Oh no...not another one. :rolleyes: I hope you mean you are running Linux or OSX then.
Just XP. I am tired of the updates. I may install the free one that came with my motherboard cd. I don't use questionable sites though.

Woot! I love Antivirus threads. Is this really the 100th time someone asked this question?

Anywho, AOL Active Virus Sheild. It's made by Kaspersky and given away for free by AOL. Windows even recognizes Kaspersky as the publisher when you run the setup program. It uses 14MB of RAM in two processes.

Google for it.

LarryC said:
I don't use questionable sites though.
Awesome! Viruses are only contracted through questionable websites! Oh wait, that's typically spyware and cookies.

Good job, sir.

^^ Installed that tongiht because my kaspersky key expired yesterday (just in time for a new update RAWR!).

anyways, it looks EXACTLY the same as kaspersky, it uses updates from the kaspersky server, and its completly free. I like that.

I have not used NOD32 yet, but I have been using Kaspersky since the 4.0 days and have loved it. never had a virus problem that it can't handle

Now if my freaking colllege would just trust kaspersky to do the job I could get rid of freakin' mcafee's garbage "enterprise edition". (our school uses cisco clean access to make sure we are running the "Crap-Afee" software that they give us, otherwise no internet for us; the only way by it is running os-X or linux).

compslckr said:
Now if my freaking colllege would just trust kaspersky to do the job I could get rid of freakin' mcafee's garbage "enterprise edition". (our school uses cisco clean access to make sure we are running the "Crap-Afee" software that they give us, otherwise no internet for us; the only way by it is running os-X or linux).

We have that at work. The thing is a real turd. It spawns this process called MC_SCRIPT_IN_USE.exe that totaly locks the machine up for like 20 seconds whenever you start a new email, open a website with Opera that uses Java, save a Office document, etc. It drives me nuts.

So, I take my laptop to work now and use a wireless connection from next door. Screw 'em, they can keep their high priced "secure" network, I will just do most of my work on my lappy.

LarryC said:
Just XP. I am tired of the updates. I may install the free one that came with my motherboard cd. I don't use questionable sites though.
That's the most inaccurate statement I've ever seen, and it really scares me, as an IT admin, how many people just don't get it. Questionable websites aren't the only attack vector for virii. :rolleyes:

What updates could you be tired of? The ones your AV software brings down to enhance your protection? Yeah, I see how that would be a hassle. :rolleyes:

*djnes rocking in a corner, sobbing* Dear god..make it stop....make it stop...

djnes:

If you ever played Quake 2 you might remember the level where you're inside the Strogg base (the bad guys) and your character finds the labs where they do all the experimentation on the human soldiers. As you're walking around that level, at various points you hear moaning, groaning, sounds of pain and suffering, and the classic "ooohhhhh... make it stop... make it stop...."

As soon as I read that post above, I just burst out laughing because that's the sound effect that most immediately comes to mind. I've got the game installed presently, I might look for that wave and link you to it if you've never heard it. Hilarious...

</off_topic>

EDIT:
Got it... here's a 30 second loop of the various sounds...

http://members.cox.net/br0adband/Sound1.mp3

NOD32 hands down ! AVG is ok, but nod32 is so lite compared to other anti viruses. Try the trial , if u dig it buy it :)

bbz_Ghost, I played that file, and I was laughing so hard my wife had to come down and check on me. That is EXACTLY what I felt like!

hehehe Glad to know someone found it just as funny as I did, and it fits perfectly. I think both of us have been doing this "schtuff" for long enough to at least a few times daily to wish "Oh god please make it stop it hurts..."

Maybe someday... but I'm not putting any money on it. :D

i use norton...never used kaspersky or nod32, but norton gets the job done...very slowly :(. im thinking about switching just because it uses so much of my computer just to run and do updates.

johnnq said:
i use norton...never used kaspersky or nod32, but norton gets the job done...very slowly :(. im thinking about switching just because it uses so much of my computer just to run and do updates.

Good man. Buy the OEM version of NOD32 on Newegg.com. It'd the same as the retail package excluding the box.

Back