Good Video Tutorials for CS5?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I'm looking for some good video tutorials for Adobe Creative Suite 5 (especially Flash, Soundbooth, and Aftereffects, Photoshop is added gravy) Most of what I'm finding are either "pay us and we'll send you DVDs" or are youtube videos that sound like they're made by teenagers who barely have a grasp of the basics... (at least 10% of one video seemed to be the creator going "then you uh... uh... oh right, then you go to this menu and..." etc)

I'd prefer free (since I just dropped so much $$$ to GET cs5...) but if I have to pay a minimal fee of $5 or something I'll consider it if the videos are extremely good...

You're not going to find anything much better unless you pony up for actual training videos, rather than teens on youtube or self-proclaimed pros that don't know much in actuality. On that note, I've heard good things about Lynda.com training videos pretty consistently, and I have used a couple of them before that were nice. It costs $250 a year or $25 a month. I'm pretty sure a coupon code from awhile back works still to knock off 20% from your first bill (including the annual subscription to bring it to 200) which is: UG10A

I've watched a few of these from Adobe TV:

http://tv.adobe.com/

Took a quick look (will go more in depth later) but it appears most of it's commercials or testimonials or some form of "Orr product is great, it can do X, Y, and Z" but not "This is how you use our product TO DO x, y, and Z" - which is what I need (I've used Flash in the past (3.2 I think... back when Macromedia owned it) but I've never had much experience with the other CS5 applications, so I'm starting out at "beginner-who-can-guess-a-few-functions-based-on-other-programs"

Though I have found several "No Stupid Questions" videos that are helpful for me! So still a good link! Thanks! :)

You're not going to find anything much better unless you pony up for actual training videos, rather than teens on youtube or self-proclaimed pros that don't know much in actuality. On that note, I've heard good things about Lynda.com training videos pretty consistently, and I have used a couple of them before that were nice. It costs $250 a year or $25 a month. I'm pretty sure a coupon code from awhile back works still to knock off 20% from your first bill (including the annual subscription to bring it to 200) which is: UG10A

Yeah, I noticed on the official Adobe site, their "introductions" (read "commercials") for their products were listed as "samples from Lynda.com" I may have to check those out if they have a couple full-length videos I can view to see if they go at a pace I can follow and cover the functions I care most about... it's a bit more than I wanted to pay (thanks for the coupon code!) but I may be able to write it off as a business expense since Flash *is* a large part of modern web-design......

Thanks, GoldenTiger! Anyone else have any sites they recommend or any thoughts on the Lynda.com videos?

I've always had good support from the Adobe pro's on their forums and other CS specific forums. Though, that works much better for specific questions rather than getting general "How To's".

youtube all the way.

Youtube is a grab-bag for tutorials... I've found one series that is surprisingly good, though it's less than appropriate (such as the line he chose to animate during the lip-sync tutorial and the number of explicatives in the video ---- but still very good information) Over all I'd say I've found 3 good tutorial series and about a dozen really bad ones that involve people who I feel barely know more than I do and decided to make videos... and 90% of _ALL_ the tutorials were clearly not rehearsed given how much the presenters floundered around... I still watch these if they're good (and some are) but really, if your going to do a video of anything that *can* be scripted, it needs to be. Talk-shows have cue-cards (more note cards) to help the host keep on track, I would think that these tutorial makers could at least do that much... (sorry, personal issue)

If you have any channels specifically that are very good, I'd love to see them, as I said I only found 3 so far and they deal with very different things (one is basics of creating motion (moving objects/symbols, creating keyframes, etc), one is animation of characters specifically (mostly boning), and one is a sorta-advanced series that assumes the viewer is already very familiar with all the tools and how they work)

EDIT:
just to clarify, the only tutorials I've seen have been for FLASH, not gotten around to the other parts of the suite yet, though looking for tutorials on all parts, especially PS since I see no way in hell I'll ever be able to figure it out on my own >.<

Last edited:
Back