Good SSD for 150?

Shark974

Limp Gawd
I'm buying my brother a new SSD for Christmas. His is like a 30GB OCZ agility or something I believe, it's getting squeezed on size even just by the OS.

So yeah I wanted to upgrade him, could go to 200 but REALLY want to go around 150 dollars.

I found an Intel on newegg, 80GB for $150. This would do. Only thing is AFAIK the Intel's (at least the cheaper ones) are a bit slower than others, if reliable.

It's so hard keeping up with whats good in SSD's. Any help?

I'm buying my brother a new SSD for Christmas. His is like a 30GB OCZ agility or something I believe, it's getting squeezed on size even just by the OS.

So yeah I wanted to upgrade him, could go to 200 but REALLY want to go around 150 dollars.

I found an Intel on newegg, 80GB for $150. This would do. Only thing is AFAIK the Intel's (at least the cheaper ones) are a bit slower than others, if reliable.

It's so hard keeping up with whats good in SSD's. Any help?

Micro Center has a great deal on the OCZ Vertex 3 120GB for $179 after rebate. Screaming fast and with the new firmware no problems.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360159

Does 550Read/500Write on SATA3. Screaming fast, and if he only has SATA2 it will max the connection out and has a SATA3 drive if he updates in the future.

if you want the 80gig get the intel 320, if you want 64 gig and SATA III get a crucial m4, I've got both of them and they are great so far.

Don't get hung up on performance numbers. Even an average SSD will be light years faster than a HDD for OS operations. If you're not looking to break records (and most aren't) then a reliable SSD is the biggest concern.

I would go for an OK ~120 GB SSD (doable today) versus a screaming 80 GB SSD. You won't notice the difference in speed, but you will notice the difference in space.

Back