Good SSD for 150?

Shark974

Limp Gawd
I'm buying my brother a new SSD for Christmas. His is like a 30GB OCZ agility or something I believe, it's getting squeezed on size even just by the OS.

So yeah I wanted to upgrade him, could go to 200 but REALLY want to go around 150 dollars.

I found an Intel on newegg, 80GB for $150. This would do. Only thing is AFAIK the Intel's (at least the cheaper ones) are a bit slower than others, if reliable.

It's so hard keeping up with whats good in SSD's. Any help?

mwroobel

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm buying my brother a new SSD for Christmas. His is like a 30GB OCZ agility or something I believe, it's getting squeezed on size even just by the OS.

So yeah I wanted to upgrade him, could go to 200 but REALLY want to go around 150 dollars.

I found an Intel on newegg, 80GB for $150. This would do. Only thing is AFAIK the Intel's (at least the cheaper ones) are a bit slower than others, if reliable.

It's so hard keeping up with whats good in SSD's. Any help?

Micro Center has a great deal on the OCZ Vertex 3 120GB for $179 after rebate. Screaming fast and with the new firmware no problems.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360159

Does 550Read/500Write on SATA3. Screaming fast, and if he only has SATA2 it will max the connection out and has a SATA3 drive if he updates in the future.

s0rce

Limp Gawd
if you want the 80gig get the intel 320, if you want 64 gig and SATA III get a crucial m4, I've got both of them and they are great so far.

tonyb

Limp Gawd
Don't get hung up on performance numbers. Even an average SSD will be light years faster than a HDD for OS operations. If you're not looking to break records (and most aren't) then a reliable SSD is the biggest concern.

I would go for an OK ~120 GB SSD (doable today) versus a screaming 80 GB SSD. You won't notice the difference in speed, but you will notice the difference in space.