Good Specs for a 27" 1080p monitor for gaming?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
Two questions:

I don't need the latest and greatest and money is a concern. Mainly I'll be playing MMOGs like Mech Warrior Online and Mortal online, and EVE. I don't play much FPS games, except solo once in a while. 1080 or 1920x1200 is fine with me, and my old rig won't handle 2 billion FPS anyway.

Would this work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QPBXVBQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

• 27 Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen VA Display with AMD Radeon FreeSync Technology
  • 75Hertz Refresh Rate Using HDMI Port
  • Response Time: 4 millisecond (G to G)

Do you really get an advantage playing with a 144Hz refresh vs 60-75Hz?

Thanks much.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The advantage at higher FPS and Hz is that you'll feel more connected to the game world. You'll notice this readily when changing refresh rate from 75 to 60 with a game that has VSYNC on. Suddenly input feels laggy and everything is more blurry when you turn. The blur comes from our eyes always trying to fix on something and track motion. Our eyes keep moving, but the screen shows a static image for 16.6ms that gets smeared all over the retina so to say. 1/144Hz = Only 6.9ms of smear on the retina.

The advantage at higher FPS and Hz is that you'll feel more connected to the game world. You'll notice this readily when changing refresh rate from 75 to 60 with a game that has VSYNC on. Suddenly input feels laggy and everything is more blurry when you turn. The blur comes from our eyes always trying to fix on something and track motion. Our eyes keep moving, but the screen shows a static image for 16.6ms that gets smeared all over the retina so to say. 1/144Hz = Only 6.9ms of smear on the retina.
Do you think that Acer monitor linked is fast enough at1080 to avoid any problems? It's borderline at 4ms. My old 900lbs ASUS is 2ms. One thing I won't miss if I do get anew one is the weight of that old one. Feels like a boat anchor.

Do you think that Acer monitor linked is fast enough at1080 to avoid any problems? It's borderline at 4ms. My old 900lbs ASUS is 2ms. One thing I won't miss if I do get anew one is the weight of that old one. Feels like a boat anchor.
G2G can't be to slow for a particular resolution. It can only be to slow for a particular refresh rate (which still doesn't cause any problems, it just nullifies the benefit of a higher refresh rate). The problem with basing a buying decision on G2G is that G2G doesn't say much to begin with (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-...e-2-ms-gray-gray-mean-specs.html#post16578402) and when it comes to VA you really want to know how fast it can recover from full black as that typically takes 36ms without overdrive. As long as there is no in-depth review of the Acer, nothing can be said. Well ... it will be slower than a TN panel if that's what you are used to. :p

G2G can't be to slow for a particular resolution. It can only be to slow for a particular refresh rate (which still doesn't cause any problems, it just nullifies the benefit of a higher refresh rate). The problem with basing a buying decision on G2G is that G2G doesn't say much to begin with (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-...e-2-ms-gray-gray-mean-specs.html#post16578402) and when it comes to VA you really want to know how fast it can recover from full black as that typically takes 36ms without overdrive. As long as there is no in-depth review of the Acer, nothing can be said. Well ... it will be slower than a TN panel if that's what you are used to. :p

Yep understood. Back in the day when I was doing photo editing I bought a very expensive Philips IPS panel, 24", one of the very first IPS panels out for 800.00. It was slow as shit by today;s standards, but I gamed with it and didn't have much problem. So, I'm not that picky I guess. I know the Acer VA is probably lots faster than that old IPS. Do you think there is a decent benefit having 75Htz over 60?

Shit! Did you notice that the monitor I linked DOES have AMD FREESYNC tech?! It's now "unavailable" on Amazon.

Last edited:
Do you think there is a decent benefit having 75Htz over 60?
I never bothered before, but after watching a YouTube video on it, I was intrigued. It's one of those things you never knew you needed. You can play at 60Hz all your life, but once you try 75Hz and then go back to 60Hz, it is as if there is considerable input lag or your character is drunk. Of course it also shortens the motion blur trail by ~20%. If you are indecisive, you could get a 60Hz monitor and see if you can overclock it to 72Hz or 75Hz.

Shit! Did you notice that the monitor I linked DOES have AMD FREESYNC tech?! It's now "unavailable" on Amazon.
No I didn't. Does that mean it will do 48-75Hz? I know online shops can be a pain. One day a monitor costs 145, the next day it's 20 bucks up or sold out, hehe.

Yep understood. Back in the day when I was doing photo editing I bought a very expensive Philips IPS panel, 24", one of the very first IPS panels out for 800.00. It was slow as shit by today;s standards, but I gamed with it and didn't have much problem. So, I'm not that picky I guess. I know the Acer VA is probably lots faster than that old IPS. Do you think there is a decent benefit having 75Htz over 60?

From what I can find on the net, the ASUS VW266H I was using was a TFT panel with a G2G time of 2ms and 60Htz.

I never bothered before, but after watching a YouTube video on it, I was intrigued. It's one of those things you never knew you needed. You can play at 60Hz all your life, but once you try 75Hz and then go back to 60Hz, it is as if there is considerable input lag or your character is drunk. Of course it also shortens the motion blur trail by ~20%. If you are indecisive, you could get a 60Hz monitor and see if you can overclock it to 72Hz or 75Hz.

No I didn't. Does that mean it will do 48-75Hz? I know online shops can be a pain. One day a monitor costs 145, the next day it's 20 bucks up or sold out, hehe.
It's back up now for sale and in stock. 129.00. Fuck,I want that monitor I think. I'm going to check the 144hz models for price comparison.

The only thing I found on Amazon at 144hz and 26-27" and 1080 was a Viewsonic and another Acer, for 193 and 228. Too much. The Viewsonic doesn't even have a vesa mount WTF?

Last edited:
From what I can find on the net, the ASUS VW266H I was using was a TFT panel with a G2G time of 2ms and 60Htz.
You will miss that TN panel's response time in dark transitions when you get your VA. :p
I've pretty much settled on 75Hz now even if accomplished via overclock. 27" 1440p high refresh is a different price category entirely (at least for the monitors I found tests for so far): 280€ and up, so it's definitely going to be 1080p and when I have the choice between 24" and 27" I lean towards the pixelated but larger screen.
It's back up now for sale and in stock. 129.00. Fuck,I want that monitor I think. I'm going to check the 144hz models for price comparison.
Could that be the same monitor that was sent back because it had a defect? :D
I've also found these monitors around here (all 1080p, 60Hz, VA): AOC M2470SWH for 92€ (https://playwares.com/index.php?mid=dpreview&category=37294228&page=10&document_srl=50005416), Samsung C24F390(FHU) for 110€ (https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/68...review-curved-20-door-de-nieuwe-testprocedure)
Both 24" though.

You will miss that TN panel's response time in dark transitions when you get your VA. :p
I've pretty much settled on 75Hz now even if accomplished via overclock. 27" 1440p high refresh is a different price category entirely (at least for the monitors I found tests for so far): 280€ and up, so it's definitely going to be 1080p and when I have the choice between 24" and 27" I lean towards the pixelated but larger screen.

Could that be the same monitor that was sent back because it had a defect? :D
I've also found these monitors around here (all 1080p, 60Hz, VA): AOC M2470SWH for 92€ (https://playwares.com/index.php?mid=dpreview&category=37294228&page=10&document_srl=50005416), Samsung C24F390(FHU) for 110€ (https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/68...review-curved-20-door-de-nieuwe-testprocedure)
Both 24" though.

Yeah, maybe, but it's 2ms and this one is 4ms. This is a video about running 200FPS on a 60Hz monitor. Can you make sense of this:

Anyway, I've decided NOT to buy a monitor and just use my old one for now, since I will be playing slower games like MMOGs and maybe some Mech Warrior Online, but neither of them are very fast paced. It seems like we are in a flux monitor wise right now, where 144Hzmonitors are about to explode, and slower ones are going the way of the dinosaur. It would probably just be wasting money buying a 75Hz monitor when you get so much better play using a 144hz monitor.

This is a video about running 200FPS on a 60Hz monitor. Can you make sense of this:
Yes, and I couldn't have explained it better. He touched on everything important. Monitors slowly update their image from top to bottom. With VSync on, the GPU waits until the monitor is back at the top and ready to refresh itself so you get a clean image. With VSync off, monitor and GPU run out of sync: the GPU presents new frames in the middle of a refresh and you get abrupt tearing on screen. At 120 fps and 60 Hz you'll only see half of each frame the GPU renders, but since that half is presented immediately, without waiting on the monitor, the lag is reduced. It looks like on the left in this slowmo video:
It is an option for competitive shooters where any reduction in input lag helps, but the torn frames break immersion too much for me in more atmospheric games like Alien: Isolation.

I agree that it is a bad time to shop for a monitor. HDR is also starting to become more common. But 144Hz ... man that's 2.4x the pixels to push. And once you experience it you can't stand anything lower (or so I've heard), meaning you get trapped in a vicious hardware upgrade cycle to keep frame rates that high. I can't afford to get spoiled. :p

Yes, and I couldn't have explained it better. He touched on everything important. Monitors slowly update their image from top to bottom. With VSync on, the GPU waits until the monitor is back at the top and ready to refresh itself so you get a clean image. With VSync off, monitor and GPU run out of sync: the GPU presents new frames in the middle of a refresh and you get abrupt tearing on screen. At 120 fps and 60 Hz you'll only see half of each frame the GPU renders, but since that half is presented immediately, without waiting on the monitor, the lag is reduced. It looks like on the left in this slowmo video:
It is an option for competitive shooters where any reduction in input lag helps, but the torn frames break immersion too much for me in more atmospheric games like Alien: Isolation.

I agree that it is a bad time to shop for a monitor. HDR is also starting to become more common. But 144Hz ... man that's 2.4x the pixels to push. And once you experience it you can't stand anything lower (or so I've heard), meaning you get trapped in a vicious hardware upgrade cycle to keep frame rates that high. I can't afford to get spoiled. :p

14Hz isn;t pushing more pixels, though. It's just refreshing the screen faster. Did you mean 144FPS or 1440 resolution?

I have other problems right now.My MB is only posting with *GB ram and I have 12 Installed. Had the same problem with my Rev 1 Gigabyte board too.

I meant 144fps on 144Hz, i.e. making "good use" of the monitor. Mainboards not detecting RAM is really annoying. :-/ Sounds like the 4GB stick is faulty? Try cleaning the pins with alcohol and a cloth that's not prone to static electricity. Or maybe it's a good time to find a matching 8GB stick and upgrade to 16GB. That could enable DualChannel mode, too.

I meant 144fps on 144Hz, i.e. making "good use" of the monitor. Mainboards not detecting RAM is really annoying. :-/ Sounds like the 4GB stick is faulty? Try cleaning the pins with alcohol and a cloth that's not prone to static electricity. Or maybe it's a good time to find a matching 8GB stick and upgrade to 16GB. That could enable DualChannel mode, too.
YEah I thought that is what you meant. that's why i'm waiting to buy a monitor because my org rig isn't going to pump out enough FPS anyway. Well, in the games I will play for now, it probably will, like MWO, Mortal Online, and Eve. Anyway, those games don;t need high FPS anyway.

RAM: It's not bad RAM. I had the same problem on the same board but a different Revision. I was using Rev 1 (Giagbyte X58 UD5) and sent the board back. Then I bought REV 2 because I didn't want to wait a month to get the RMAed board back. Everything worked great on the new board. Then yesterday while checking my BIOS and shit I saw it said 8GB, but 12 installed crap again. Windows reports same thing--8GB usable, 12 installed.

There is a whole thread started in 2010 here about the X58 boards and the Bloomfield i9xx.One dude said he actually found the problem and that is to install a little cardboard on the clip that holds the CPU in, because it wasn't getting enough pressure to seat all of the pins. Here is the link: https://hardforum.com/threads/ram-issues-on-x58-boards.1546247/

And I always thought these socket types were applying a lot of pressure equally with those thick metal frames. Looks like the old "male" "female" connections were more solid than these new flat CPUs.

Back