Good software for underclocking?

lilfiend

Supreme [H]ardness
need some good software for underclocking my laptop, would prefer some sort of voltage control and fan control, not just fsb but if fsb is it then thats cool, im running windows 7 on a eee pc 1000he, eeectl does NOT work at all, but gmabooster does and i can use that to go up to 400mhz on graphics, or underclock it to 133mhz or so from 200mhz stock :)

it should automaticly underclock when idle..

that system has a 1.66ghz atom processor.. its automatically downclocking to 200mhz like its designed to do.. the only way you would be able to get it to 133mhz is to drop the multiplier lower and usually the cpu's are limited to how far they will go with the multiplier..

so whats the exact reason you want to go to 133mhz at idle?

Put XP back on. I really don't get the point of having Windows 7 on a netbook. This may not help you at all, but if you reconsidered you'd get the underclocking you wanted and thus more than 2 hour battery life.

Put XP back on. I really don't get the point of having Windows 7 on a netbook.

The point of this? Windows 7 works perfectly fine (great actually) on netbooks. When you spew crap about stuff you have no idea about its called FUD buddy.

The point of this? Windows 7 works perfectly fine (great actually) on netbooks. When you spew crap about stuff you have no idea about its called FUD buddy.

^^^ +1 win.

Anybody who states XP is better for netbooks, is probably just not up to date / have XP only devices.

Also, most video cards underclock, while idle.

All of the 4000/5000 series (I dunno about the x2 cards) and the gtx200 series do this, too.

Ok, thanks for the compelling data, I've totally changed my mind. :rolleyes:
And neither of you answered the OP by calling me ignorant and praising Win7 Netbooks.
Anybody who states XP is better for netbooks, is probably just not up to date / have XP only devices.
As you can see from my signature I run Windows 7. I also have an Eee 1000H running XP & OS X.
All of the 4000/5000 series (I dunno about the x2 cards) and the gtx200 series do this, too.
Good for you, how does that relate to netbooks exactly?

windows 7 is better on netbooks then windows xp because of the pure fact that windows 7 and vista does as well allows for power on demand in the power settings so that windows can also control the cpu speed along with the motherboard. but the difference is that windows 7/vista control this feature better then the bios does by leaving the cpu underclocked even when a programs loaded because that program doesnt need the cpu to be running at full speed.. its also quicker at changing the multiplier then the bios is. there is usually a 200-300ms delay in the bios before it realizes that the cpu needs to be at full speed.. windows xp does not have any of these features.

Ok, thanks for the compelling data, I've totally changed my mind. :rolleyes:
And neither of you answered the OP by calling me ignorant and praising Win7 Netbooks.

As you can see from my signature I run Windows 7. I also have an Eee 1000H running XP & OS X.

Good for you, how does that relate to netbooks exactly?

Depends on the netbook, of course.

Most are stuck with the lame 945gse chipset, which while decentish with power, is the bigger of two evils (power consumptionwise).

Then some (like my n10j!) have a 9300gs in them... and a physical kill switch.

it should automaticly underclock when idle..

that system has a 1.66ghz atom processor.. its automatically downclocking to 200mhz like its designed to do.. the only way you would be able to get it to 133mhz is to drop the multiplier lower and usually the cpu's are limited to how far they will go with the multiplier..

so whats the exact reason you want to go to 133mhz at idle?

thats the onboard video that goes down to 133 and 200mhz stock, for the cpu i cant get that super hybrid engine working right under xp or 7 so i need something that will underclcock it for me when all im doing is browsing, and let me keep it at 100% so it doesnt stutter while im watching a show.

Depends on the netbook, of course.

Most are stuck with the lame 945gse chipset, which while decentish with power, is the bigger of two evils (power consumptionwise).

Then some (like my n10j!) have a 9300gs in them... and a physical kill switch.

did you want a cookie for telling us about your equipment?

honestly discrete cards and their power management has nothing to do with netbooks, period
the 9300GS doesn't improve power consumption, because you've still got an MCH/ICH pair (which, oh yeah, is a 945), it just doesn't make it much worse, as it disables when not being used (its also a worthless feature (see the TR review) as Atom itself is too weak to really take advantage of a decent GPU)

squabbles over power consumption figures also don't really matter, because the hardware is what it is, and there isn't a whole lot you can do about that, except for replacing the HD with something more power friendly, and disabling crap that you aren't using (for example, bluetooth, if you dont use that)

^^^ +1 win.

yep, because we've obviously got GTX 285 in our netbooks, and its also a sign of your superiority to hate Windows XP, honestly you gotta stop and consider that just because Vista/7 may have some power management crap, that doesn't really improve usability on a fairly cramped system (also doesn't help your power usage when the GPU has to be engaged near constantly to handle the bloated UI)

theres not a thing wrong with XP for a netbook, so stop with your *chan posting

thats the onboard video that goes down to 133 and 200mhz stock, for the cpu i cant get that super hybrid engine working right under xp or 7 so i need something that will underclcock it for me when all im doing is browsing, and let me keep it at 100% so it doesnt stutter while im watching a show.

and now we finally come to a relevant post
what issue are you actually having with hybrid engine? generally it'll "speed up" for heavier tasks, but it does have a cap (depending on what mode its set to), think of it like EIST, except far more intuitive

on that line, EIST/similar is all enabled in the BIOS, right? (as in, you didn't go in there like a n00b and disable all your power saving options, and then cry when your battery life goes to crap)

final question: what kind of battery life are you getting, and what are you looking to get? (are you just expecting something unrealistic?)

and now we finally come to a relevant post
what issue are you actually having with hybrid engine? generally it'll "speed up" for heavier tasks, but it does have a cap (depending on what mode its set to), think of it like EIST, except far more intuitive

on that line, EIST/similar is all enabled in the BIOS, right? (as in, you didn't go in there like a n00b and disable all your power saving options, and then cry when your battery life goes to crap)

final question: what kind of battery life are you getting, and what are you looking to get? (are you just expecting something unrealistic?)

thanks for getting this back on topic for me ;) im getting sufficiant battery life, i get 4-6 hours on it no problem, not even trying to save battery, i really just want more controll over all of it so that when i have power savings turned on it doesnt do what it does now, stutter during videos, it doesnt seem to do this too much in 7 with aero enabled but once i disable that it gets pissy again

the problem im having with the hybrid engine is that it just doesnt work. it does NOTHING at all, i try to start it and it doesnt start, at all, ive even tried this in xp, didnt work.

i want control so that i can maximize my battery at MY contoll and i want to stop this crap. i want to be able to go to 600mhz-800mhz while browsing the internet, and go to 1..2ghz-1.6ghz for watching shows, or playing flash games and stuff. As of right now it doesnt let me do any of this, the only thing i can do is, as stated, turn on aero so that my videos dont stutter, which also means NO booting into xp for videos.

i just need a program that can do this stuff, eeectl doesnt work and neither does the hybrid engine.

thanks again for getting it back on topic ;)

honestly I have no idea regarding a program to play with EIST like that, I know on my 1000H with hybrid engine, it runs at ~500mhz in "power saver" or whatever, and its fine for whatever I need it for, if I increase my demands (within the realm of something the Eee can actually do, meaning heavy games or HD-DVDs need not apply), it scales to meet that, and I'm getting 5-6 hours of battery life (basically like you are, I'm going to guess you'll see slightly less battery life under Win7 because of Aero)

so I'm thinking the only issue here is hybrid engine not working, guessing you've tried this, but if not, might be worth it, grab your Asus restore DVD, and re-image the system to factory new, and reset the BIOS as well (little hole on the bottom has a button for it), basically take it back to how it was when it came from Asus, if hybrid engine still doesn't work, I'd call Asus (I'm guessing this thing is less than a year old), see if they'll trade it for you or something (who cares if you *could* fix it, if its under warranty, let them deal with it)

honestly I have no idea regarding a program to play with EIST like that, I know on my 1000H with hybrid engine, it runs at ~500mhz in "power saver" or whatever, and its fine for whatever I need it for, if I increase my demands (within the realm of something the Eee can actually do, meaning heavy games or HD-DVDs need not apply), it scales to meet that, and I'm getting 5-6 hours of battery life (basically like you are, I'm going to guess you'll see slightly less battery life under Win7 because of Aero)

so I'm thinking the only issue here is hybrid engine not working, guessing you've tried this, but if not, might be worth it, grab your Asus restore DVD, and re-image the system to factory new, and reset the BIOS as well (little hole on the bottom has a button for it), basically take it back to how it was when it came from Asus, if hybrid engine still doesn't work, I'd call Asus (I'm guessing this thing is less than a year old), see if they'll trade it for you or something (who cares if you *could* fix it, if its under warranty, let them deal with it)

thanks for the help, im going to reflash the bios, i dont have any of the keys as i bought it second hand on [H] if the reflash doesnt fix it then ill invest my time in trying to get it to work in linux, im not sure if its under warrenty but i can ask the guy i bought it from ;)

thanks for the help, im going to reflash the bios, i dont have any of the keys as i bought it second hand on [H] if the reflash doesnt fix it then ill invest my time in trying to get it to work in linux, im not sure if its under warrenty but i can ask the guy i bought it from ;)

you might try the netbook version of Ubuntu, which has an Eee specific driver iirc, had a friend try that out a year or so ago (when the Eee was newer), did terrible with power management before he got the Eee drivers for power management, but after that, he had no issues (I've since moved states for work and school, so I can't really give his configuration a once over)

honestly if the BIOS flash and perhaps a Win re-image doesn't work, Ubuntu wouldn't be a bad choice imho (not like it'll remove any functionality, you already can't game with the Eee, so what are you missing? :))

you might try the netbook version of Ubuntu, which has an Eee specific driver iirc, had a friend try that out a year or so ago (when the Eee was newer), did terrible with power management before he got the Eee drivers for power management, but after that, he had no issues (I've since moved states for work and school, so I can't really give his configuration a once over)

honestly if the BIOS flash and perhaps a Win re-image doesn't work, Ubuntu wouldn't be a bad choice imho (not like it'll remove any functionality, you already can't game with the Eee, so what are you missing? :))

actually i have ubuntu netbook remix on my step moms eee 900a its a good os, i would go to it full time but i do really like win 7 :D

the only program i currently know of working with intel processors when it comes to controlling clock speeds and voltage is RMclock.. you may want to try that.. but i cant promise you it will work in windows 7.. but i do know it works in vista..

information about the program
download link

it allows you to control the voltages for each multiplier set.. you can also set at what percentage of cpu usage causes it to start raising the clock speeds.. you can also add delays so that if the cpu sits at say 60% usage for 300ms.. then the cpu will go up from say 4x multi to 5x multi.. and it will go up each multiplier after 300ms.. then you can set the interval for the downclocking to 100ms.. so that once the usage has dropped below 60% it will begin downclocking faster.. the program will also give you the minimum multiplier and minimum voltage for the cpu.. while also giving the stock voltage and multiplier.. and it will also give you boot up voltage for the cpu.. oh yeah.. it also has different power profiles you can use.. so when its unplugged or plugged in and stuff like that..

ive been using the program on all my AMD based laptops and it works great.. ive only used it on 1 intel processor.. which was a pentium M 1.7ghz and worked flawlessly with that old processor.. so my guess is that it will work with newer ones as well..

Last edited:
the only program i currently know of working with intel processors when it comes to controlling clock speeds and voltage is RMclock.. you may want to try that.. but i cant promise you it will work in windows 7.. but i do know it works in vista..

information about the program
download link

it allows you to control the voltages for each multiplier set.. you can also set at what percentage of cpu usage causes it to start raising the clock speeds.. you can also add delays so that if the cpu sits at say 60% usage for 300ms.. then the cpu will go up from say 4x multi to 5x multi.. and it will go up each multiplier after 300ms.. then you can set the interval for the downclocking to 100ms.. so that once the usage has dropped below 60% it will begin downclocking faster.. the program will also give you the minimum multiplier and minimum voltage for the cpu.. while also giving the stock voltage and multiplier.. and it will also give you boot up voltage for the cpu.. oh yeah.. it also has different power profiles you can use.. so when its unplugged or plugged in and stuff like that..

ive been using the program on all my AMD based laptops and it works great.. ive only used it on 1 intel processor.. which was a pentium M 1.7ghz and worked flawlessly with that old processor.. so my guess is that it will work with newer ones as well..

thanks, worked for the most part, still trying to fully work it out ;)

Back