Good, simple (and cheap) backup software?

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any idea of what a good, simple, and cheap software backup solution would be?

I just want something that will be easy to schedule backups with and would be relatively easy to navigate (while also being effective, duh :D )

anyone have any ideas?

i write a small backup app u can try...there's no scheduling yet, but it'll burn stuff and ftp it, etc..scheduling will come in the next major release (whenever it is that i get time to do it). see my sig if u want to give it a go..it's free, of course.

I have a few questions about these backup programs:

1) Can they be used to backup the entire contents of the C:\ drive? I downlaoded a few backup programs from download.com and it warned about system files being in use. I would like to make an exact copy of my C:\ drive since I compile install packages - notorious for ocasionally corrupting the registry. Also, I need to be sure I'm back to a fresh system.

2) Do any of these burn right to a CD? The trobule that I have is that there is limited space on my drives. I'd say that there is about 2% of the total space free. It would be great if I could burn to multiple CDs rather than backing up to a hard drive. I know that this may be asking a lot though.

The Windows XP backup looks good, but I'm using 2003 on my main system and I test on everything else - 98, ME, and 2000.

Last, how do you guys like Norton Ghost? I have heard mixed reviews.

Thanks for the help.

Ghost is fine -- used it for years and never had an issue. It's great for imaging an entire drive. My app does not do that, but it does support burning to cd/dvd.

Back