Good server board+ CPU + 8GB RAM > $500

Ripjaw memory is junk imho, the heat spreaders are poorly attached/aligned, get in the way of installing, and are overall just a gimmick with no practical value. I bought some and wish I had just gone with traditional heat sinks.

Your list is pretty much the same as mine, I can upgrade to 16GB when I get more money and it will be ECC.

That ASUS board looks like the same design as the X8SILFO.

pretty much, the one big difference I noticed was that the Asus has 1 x16 PCI-E, 1x 4xPCI-E slot and 2xPCI, where the Supermicro has 2 x 8xPCI-E, 1x 4xPCI-E and 1xPCI.

Looks like you have gotten it sorted out, and good luck with the build.

Ripjaw memory is junk imho, the heat spreaders are poorly attached/aligned, get in the way of installing, and are overall just a gimmick with no practical value. I bought some and wish I had just gone with traditional heat sinks.
I don't concern myself with the looks of the ram, I just happen to notice that it seems to be well supported across multiple platforms and is priced well. I just put 4GB into a budget workstation build and am very please so far with the ripjaws (silly name though). If the heat spreaders fall off then maybe I'll have an issue with them. Also I have used G.Skill ram in the past and I've never had a stick fail, unlike crucial ballistix ddr2 800, which I've RMA'd 3 or 4 times now.

Just be careful on the X8SIL-F. They can be a bit picky on RAM...I went with the Kingston because it was well priced and I had confirmation of others using it.

What choices do you all suggest for 32gb in the X8SIL-F mb?
it stillhas to be x8 correct? (and ecc/reg of course)

What choices do you all suggest for 32gb in the X8SIL-F mb?
it stillhas to be x8 correct? (and ecc/reg of course)

Check the X8SIL memory compat list on SuperMicro's site..but probably still Kingston just in 8GB sticks. On mine they are Hynix chips, which is what is on the compat list. I can't guarantee the 8GB sticks are the same but if the Kingston site also says they work on the X8SIL I'd say you're good to go.

I didnt know Kingston hadd a mobo lookup.....come to find out, they have 8gb sticks ecc/reg for this board @ $155
Seems like a good price?
KVR1066D3Q8R7S/8G is the PN (oooh, plus if you spend over $300 you get a free Michael Jackson flash drive !!! yay !!)

I was about the purchase the Xeon X3430 but then I noticed that the 3440 supports HT, I thought the price difference was just the higher clock.

Should I go for the X3440 for HT? does HT make a huge difference with virtualization?

I don't think, I should say that HT can even reduce in virtualization...

But I never tried, I've bought too a X3430 :D

Experts can confirmed :confused:

Also, let me be the first to point out that the thread title suggests that the op wants to spend more than $500, ">" does mean "greater than" ... ;)

Just put in my order, little over $500 but I consider it an investment into my future. I went with the 16GB of ram and the Xeon 3440. This should be a pretty sweet ESXi and testing server. Norco 4020 will come at end of the month with my next paycheck.

2 x ($139.99) MEM 4Gx2|KST KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G RT
$279.98
1 x ($9.99) CPU THERMPASTE|AS5-3.5G % - OEM
$9.99
1 x ($189.99) SERVER_MB SUPERMICRO|MBD-X8SIL-F-O
$189.99
1 x ($239.99) CPU INTEL|XEON X3440 2.53G R
$239.99

Just put in my order, little over $500 but I consider it an investment into my future. I went with the 16GB of ram and the Xeon 3440. This should be a pretty sweet ESXi and testing server. Norco 4020 will come at end of the month with my next paycheck.

2 x ($139.99) MEM 4Gx2|KST KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G RT
$279.98
1 x ($9.99) CPU THERMPASTE|AS5-3.5G % - OEM
$9.99
1 x ($189.99) SERVER_MB SUPERMICRO|MBD-X8SIL-F-O
$189.99
1 x ($239.99) CPU INTEL|XEON X3440 2.53G R
$239.99

Thermal paste not needed if you are using stock cpu cooler. save the 10$

Thermal paste not needed if you are using stock cpu cooler. save the 10$

Yep. Prime95'd both my systems using stock cooler and the included "paste" and no issues at all. Take that $10 and pay for part of the move to a X3450. :)

Thanks for the info but I always wipe that crap off and use AS5 to get a good spread across the entire CPU... maybe I will be lazy this time and do what you guys say. I need some thermal paste anyways, I lost the tube I had.

Sorry guys but I have been lazy and not had the chance or motivation to build my new system lol.

How about this deal? CPU's aren't super fast but they ARE included & cheap. Not sure if the perc will work with it however....

Link

How about this deal? CPU's aren't super fast but they ARE included & cheap. Not sure if the perc will work with it however....

Link

Not a bad way to go. Onboard NICs are good. Just depends how you get your ESX license as that requires two sockets for a total of 4 cores.

Thats kind of the conclusion I came to on that board also.

I'm just gonna go the Dell T110 route personally. Not that I don't mind building my own, but I just want something OOB that will work w/o me having to hassle. I throw 16GB of ECC and some HD's on it and I'm OTD for ~800.

Back