Good, portable Headphones

Dougjwjr

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
274
I'm trying to find a good pair of headphones that I can take with me and use with my new laptop. I'm having a hard time finding something quite like what I'm looking for unfortunetly.

Price range: <$110
Connector: 3.5mm
Noise Canceling: No, less energy used the better

Should also note that I don't yet have a sound card, but I intend on getting that shortly.

I came across a few things that I liked for the most part.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826627004
These BOSE look nice, but that price is a little too high for me, but something similar to those would be good.

I came across http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106333 next, which also seemed good, and that price is fine by me, but the one negative about that is that they are "Open" and according to the reviews, people around you will easily hear everything you hear. This was sort of a turn off as some privacy is nice, I plan on using the headphones in public places, and want to have at least a certain level of privacy.

Additionally, I just now looked in more than just newegg's 3.5mm category (I wish I could view all that have 3.5mm connectors, not 3.5mm only, or 3.5mm/6.3mm, don't like how they split them into 2 categories). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158054


Does anyone have any suggestions? Remember, I want them to be durable seeing as I don't want to be replacing them all the time, I will be taking them with me.
 
Sony V6 would be a good option (+ velour mod). Full size circumaurals, but they fold so it's not prohibitive (e.g. trying to pack HA-RX90s). They're also extremely durable, as in people are still using versions from the 80s heavily.
 
Interesting, sounds like a good option. I dont see anything Sony on newegg, is there any place specific you can suggest looking at these? I did a google search and came up with some results, but sadly just about the only retailer I have experience with is newegg, and beyond that I'm not entirely sure where to look/go.
 
I got mine from B&H Photo. I mostly use them for photography equipment, but they have some audio stock.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358337-REG/Sony_MDRV6_MDR_V6_Closed_Back.html

These Beyerdynamic pads fit perfectly and make them much more comfortable (out of stock @ B&H currently). They're very easy to switch out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...42704_Padded_Earcushions_for_DT250_DT280.html

All told it's $90, very durable, very portable, and while they're not going to make any jaws drop, they have very solid audio quality. They have pretty good isolation, about as good as it's going to get without moving to IEMs.

Oh, the cord is longish and uses a coiled design since they're primarily for home AV / studio use. Not sure if this is an issue for you. But it is as rugged as everything else about these. I use them on walks sometimes when I don't mind feeling like a dork walking around with full-sized headphones on, so the cord doesn't bother me. But I figured I'd mention it since some people might mind.
 
I like a longer cord, I can manage it when I want it shorter, and other times it gives me more freedom when I need it.
 
Yep, same here. It's kinda hard to make it get longer if it's too short.
 
After a little thought, I decided to buy the Sony V6 and give it a shot. I'm sure sound quality will be fine for me, as much as I'd like to be, I'm not an audiophile. I only just recently upgraded my PC speakers from Cyber Acoustics CA-2022RB 12 watts x 2 2.0 Speaker I had for 3 years to Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System. While they're still not top of the line, they're one hell of an improvement. I think these will probably be the best headphones I've had before, so I'm happy.
 
I also use Stax Lambdas and I still think they're fine. You should be pleased.

Well, it might make you not like your Logitechs. Good audio is one seriously slippery slope. :(
 
Oh I know, I cant stand my car speakers anymore compared to my Logitechs, they use to be my favorite. I was always satisfied with the cheap CA's, just one time decided to try something better on a whim, and oh was it worth it.
 
Koss PortaPros or their KSC-75 earclips... these things are the stuff of legends, with a huge community of users behind 'em all over the place. The sound quality they provide compared to the actual cost (plus the lifetime no questions asked guarantee) makes them simply unbeatable. If you want closed, there's many options, but as noted, avoid the Bose, they're horrid things, really.

The Sony V6 is tough to describe to people so the best way to put it is this: they are some of the most neutral headphones ever made, and not much can touch 'em. They have a nearly flat response curve like nothing else, so when people listen for the first time it can be a bit daunting to many inexperienced ears hearing stuff that neutral. Some complain they're too bright (because they've been listening to headphones that had a bump on the response curve in the low-end), or some will complain that they're too bassy (because of unnaturally boosted highs on whatever they have been using), etc.

The simple fact of the matter is that they are some of the most truly uncolored and neutral sounding headphones that you'll ever get the chance to experience. They wouldn't have such a huge HUGE following in the recording/engineering/mastering industry - look at most photos you can find of studios in operation. Chances are you'll see a pair of V6s sitting on someone's head, or laying on a console, or hanging on an mic stand, etc.

As for those that complain about their sound, well... it's impossible for headphones with a nearly flat response curve to sound too bassy or too bright, it's just not happening. Those types of comments are from people with messed up hearing in the first place. :D

They really are that good, but you have to get past that neutral aspect first. First timers rarely put 'em on and are happy with 'em, but as I've never used EQ in my listening days since CDs came out - I figure if the recording/mastering engineer decided that mix was the way it should sound, that's how I'm gonna listen to it, plug in the headphones, flat whatever EQ the device has (if any), and press Play, simple.

I've got a pair of original Sony V6 'phones I've had since around 1988, and they're superior to what exists today. The V6 lines of today are actually the 7506 variants that take a hit on the high end (the original V6 models were 5 Hz to 30 kHz, the 7506 variants are kneecapped at 10 Hz to 20 kHz, and yes, some of us can notice the difference). There's also been an updated model of the 7506 called the 7509-HD - larger driver (50mm vs 40mm), increased power handling (1 full watt compared to .5 watt), and a ridiculous frequency range of 5 Hz to 80 kHz... !!?!?! :D

But for portable use, the PortaPros or their earclip variants the KSC-75 will do wonders for you from the moment you press Play, seriously. The V6 and the variants are "portable" in the sense that they fold up and come with a nice leather pouch, but you're also carrying a very heavy headset (they weigh nearly 2 lbs in that little pouch, they're made of serious hardware and that cable is pretty long so it's quite heavy, especially on the head too), but I wouldn't recommend 'em for portable use with a laptop, it's absolute overkill.

The PortaPros/KSC-75 will shock you with just how good your music can sound... and never forget: the speakers/headphones are still the most important part of any audio playback system... ;)

One tip: The original V6 models have silver/nickle-plated plugs... the newer ones, that lack definition in the high end because of that lessened frequency range, have gold-plated plugs. The originals never came with gold-plating, that's the fastest way to spot 'em. They still make the V6 series, but they'll come with gold-plated plugs - mine are silver/nickle-plated because they're so old (just over 20 years now, but they sound better than ever).
 
There's also been an updated model of the 7506 called the 7509-HD - larger driver (50mm vs 40mm), increased power handling (1 full watt compared to .5 watt), and a ridiculous frequency range of 5 Hz to 80 kHz... !!?!?! :D

Oooh...
 
Should add - the neutrality of the V6 makes it a great foil for a more colored component elsewhere. For example, a tube amplifier shows up beautifully where a less neutral headphone would show a combination of all colorations in the system and give you a much less pronounced effect.

Just bringing this up since it's WTF o'clock in the AM and I'm listening to the Gin Blossoms on my V6s through a tweaked-out Little Dot Mk IV tube amp. I have a bunch of audio gear around, but this and the Stax are two different roads to aural nirvana. What the Stax do through extremes of clarity and precision, the V6 + tube amp combo does by helping to smooth the flow of the music and emphasize its emotive force.

Ugh, I need to stop writing stuff like this. It makes me think in ways that usually end up hurting my wallet.
 
Last edited:
Well I already ordered the headphones, I think they're the newer V6, but honestly I doubt I would notice a difference, at least not right now. As for weight and size, I'm using the MSi backpack that came with my laptop, which has pleanty of space. Even if I decide I want something else to travel with later, I'll still likely have a use for these. Right now in my apartment my audio systems are going mostly to waste since I cant turn things up very loud at all without complaints from the neighbors, regardless of what time of day it is.
 
For something particularly small and portable the KSC75 are really hard to beat, you may think we're blowing hot air here (I mean, you can find 'em for less than $15) but they sound many times better than almost anything else anywhere near that size/price range (unless you go w/something entirely different like IEMs, which will still cost significantly more). Personally I think they're kinda fugly, their older KSC50 model was more stylish (I've held unto mine even though I had to replace the pads myself), but they're the best $15 you'll ever spend for portable headphones... 'Specially considering Koss' warranty.
 
For something particularly portable the KSC75 are really hard to beat, you may think we're blowing hot air here (I mean, you can find 'em for less than $15) but they sound many times better than almost anything else anywhere near that size/price range.

Yeah, sometimes you get these weird accidents of design that work out heavily in the consumer's favor.

OTOH I think the things are pretty uncomfortable and they don't isolate at all. Good SQ though, especially for $20ish.
 
Agreed on the KSC75. They are pretty damn amazing for the price. I have like 6 pairs I bought for back up (when radioshack was clearancing them out for like $5).
 

No offense, but the people that work at CNet as reviewers wouldn't know good sounding audio if God himself presented a product and said "These are the best earbuds you'll ever listen to."

While the listing there has some fairly decent models, the actual reviews just make me wanna puke. For real owner and audio enthusiast reviews that matter, the best source for those is Head-Fi Do a search for KSC-75 over there and you'll get tons of hits, mods, tweaks, tips, tricks, and even deals if they ever happen again.

I think that last Radio Shack clearance blowout pretty much depleted the market of KSC-75s forever, but there's always hope. I've still got 4 sets in a bag, brand new and never opened, from that clearance myself. Wouldn't sell 'em for most any price... ;)
 
OTOH I think the things are pretty uncomfortable and they don't isolate at all. Good SQ though, especially for $20ish.

Yeah, they don't isolate at all (and they do leak sound as well)... The clip can be toyed with 'till it fits just right though, I haven't worn the KSC75 for a prolonged amount of time (I own a pair and I've even given them as a gift but I still use my KSC50) but it seems like it's bendable to a certain degree... Just like the KSC50's. I've heard it has a tendency to fall off tho (which was impossible w/the KSC50s due to the way it was attached).

A matter of personal taste I guess, I hated the fit of my KSC50's at first (the edge closest to the headphone itself seemed to clip my ear very aggressively) but after I fiddled with the clip for a while they settled in. I actually returned my first pair though because it seemed like the plastic part before the rubber clip starts wasn't cut/pressed very smoothly and it felt rough against my ear. I mean, for $10-15 you can maul the thing 'till it's comfortable and if you break a pair in the process it's not even a big deal. :p The pads for Senn PX100 fit the KSC50/75 just perfect too btw... Altho Koss will sell you their own replacement pads as well.

I think that last Radio Shack clearance blowout pretty much depleted the market of KSC-75s forever, but there's always hope. I've still got 4 sets in a bag, brand new and never opened, from that clearance myself. Wouldn't sell 'em for most any price... ;)

I dunno about B&M stores, haven't seen 'em locally in a while (then again, that's not uncommon in Puerto Rico), but they're very widely available online. $15 at Amazon, $20 at Newegg I think. Edit: Actually, I have seen them locally, at Borders of all places (they sell cheap Koss stuff). CompUSA used to have 'em but I haven't seen 'em there since they closed then re-opened...
 
No offense, but the people that work at CNet as reviewers wouldn't know good sounding audio if God himself presented a product and said "These are the best earbuds you'll ever listen to."

While the listing there has some fairly decent models, the actual reviews just make me wanna puke. For real owner and audio enthusiast reviews that matter, the best source for those is Head-Fi Do a search for KSC-75 over there and you'll get tons of hits, mods, tweaks, tips, tricks, and even deals if they ever happen again.

I think that last Radio Shack clearance blowout pretty much depleted the market of KSC-75s forever, but there's always hope. I've still got 4 sets in a bag, brand new and never opened, from that clearance myself. Wouldn't sell 'em for most any price... ;)

Thanks for that site man :D I've been on the lookout here and there for a high end audio message board. :D
 
I heard the Audio-Technicas ES7 are really good for the money, like say around $100 on amazon:D:D
 
I just received the Sony V6's from UPS. So far so good, liking them. For the record, as someone was saying earlier that the new ones aren't as good, and have gold plated plug, the plug on this is silver. I don't know if that means they changed it back or this is a better model than what he was thinking, just making note of it.

The cord length might be a little overkill for me after seeing it, but oh well, now I can walk across the room with my headphones on while leaving whatever they're connected to there (Actually, I can walk from my room to the kitchen while the headphones are plugged into my desktop LOL)
 
Another thumbs up on KSC75. They're amazing for the price point, esp since i paid less than $10 for them.

Heard good things about audio technicas ES7. They look amazinggg too.
 
Back
Top