• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good Point per Watt ratio?

Joined
May 10, 2006
Messages
695
There was some good threads in the past on this but
search function is still down...
I got chance to put my dual GPU boxen on a kill a watt meter and was
pleasantly surprised. Specs: Dual Core E1200, 2GB RAM, 1 80GB HD
1 9600 GSO, 1 8800GS all running off Antec Earthwatts 430.
The cards put out 9500PPD and draw at the wall 235 Watts.
I come up with 1.685 Points per Watt, which seems pretty good to me,
anyone else have numbers for their boxen to compare with?
The Quad boxen I have draw about 180 Watts on average for 4200 PPD,
which seems considerably lower point per watt output, .972 points per watt.

 
I've seen the ppdpw rating thrown around a bit, mostly by Tigerbiten. It's a simpler formula though, PPD/Watts and anything above 20 is decent I think, but that varies according to the person paying the bill. I would say both systems you have are good, with the GPU box obviously being better.

I would start to question whether a system is worth it when it's pulling 150w and only putting out a few hundred PPD.

 
Pretty funny you should bring it up... I was just updating my spreadsheet for this.

System#1 Specs:
Q6600 @ 3.0 GHZ - VM SMP Client - 2063 PPD
9600GT @ 667/936/1884 - 4093 PPD
8800GS @ 615/821/1830 - 3714 PPD (finally got it over 3700 :))
Kill A Watt says 344W total
System PPD 9870

Gives me 28.69 PpDpW per my calculations.

System# 2 Specs:
E4300 @ 3.1 GHZ - Console client - 258 PPD
8800GTS (G92) @ 680/970/1870 - 5630 PPD
Kill A Watt says 172W total.
System PPD 5888

Gives me 34.23 PpDpW per my calculations.


I'm not sure how you calculated you numbers Air Cooled but I plugged your figures into my spreadsheet came up with 40.43 PpDpW which is SMOKIN!

I'm not sure if my method is correct mind you.... I take PPD/W. Either way... your numbers look damn good!

 
A pure SMP setup is good for 15-25 PpDpWatt.
A mixed SMP + GPU is good for 25-35 PpDpWatt.
A pure GPU is good for +35 PpDpWatt.

I no longer run anything that wont get above 20 PpDpWatt.
Once I can get my farm rebuilt again, I'll be aiming at around 35 PpDpWatt from the full farm.

Luck ........... :D
 
Think of it this way... when I was running a quad with an ati cheaparse vid card to have video I was pulling about 175w, with the GT's I'm pulling 225, but my points went from 3300 PPD to 6500PPD on average. That is going from 18.86 PpDpW to 28.88 PpDpW. That is some serious bang for your buck... my top computer is producing 10,500 PPD and takes about 300W which is 35 PpDpW Which is outstanding. I think I can get that up to the 40's if I could overclock my 2nd vid card.



 
Back
Top