Good Lord, what do I do?!?

Rocksta107

Limp Gawd
I had to RMA some RAM back to Newegg which arrived today. I put the RAM in and boot up the PC and it got stuck on the boot screen. So I reset my CMOS with the jumper and it seemed to start just fine, but it would not detect my second hard drive, which is trouble for a RAID configuration ...

So I unhook and rehook all of my HDD's and my DVD-ROM drive, plug the computer back in and hit power.

All I hear is a loud POP, I don't see any sparks anywhere, but I have NO idea what just happened! My computer will power on, but it won't POST. I don't even get the *beep* after I hit power. What do I do? RMA the Mobo? Will Newegg think this was my fault? Very upset.

UPDATE:

My Video Card Fan is not moving. I don't know what that means, the light on the card is on, though.

Seems like something got shorted and a capacitor popped. Find another PSU and test the hardware.

The PSU comes on fine, and all the fans are spinning except the one on the video card. Would that still justify trying another PSU?

Oh, I meant the system I'm on NOW is AGP. The broken PC is on PCI-E. I don't have any computer geek friends such as myself in the area, so it's going to take some thinking :)

Try the paperclip trick with your PSU first and try to narrow it down to the video card.

The PSU works to SOME effect with the fans going and what not. It just seems to be lacking on the PCI-E and CPU connectors.

So I had a suggestion given to me to remove the video card and see if the Mobo begins to beep. If the Mobo beeps, then the problem is with the card. If it does not, keep searching. I removed the video card, system turned on, and still no beeps, no POST. Seems to be PSU or MOBO along with Video Card.

Test your PSU rails. Grab a multimeter and read the volts... if you're getting power it *might* not be your PSU. Also look around on your MB for blown/leaking caps, if you're not getting beeps then that sounds like your culprit right there (though still test your PSU rails, if its sending bad/unstable voltage then that could have been what killed your MB)

Also, the video card might not be dead, if the MB is not sending power to the PCIE slot then your video card might not power up the fan... My bet is on the MB as the problem right now.

good luck!

Thanks Moo!

That seems to be what the manufacturers are thinking as well. I have a friend at a local system builder who is going to let me come by and test the components on a bench. I really appreciate all the help from posters and keep the ideas coming if you think of something else. I'll gladly post an update when all is figured out.

Back